1. 1. Which version of Stand By Me is best:

• Original - Ben E King
    • Cover - Jimmy Little
  2. 2. Which version of Under the Bridge is best:

• Original - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • Cover a - Jimmy Little
    • Cover b - All Saints (for the Brits)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/19/19 at 02:36 AM

I promised a special poll for NAIDOC week then had to spend two days trying to find the flippin song I wanted... Because I'm not sure it's gunna work I'm trying a new feature I think I found and hopefully, if this works, there are 2 poles... Both feature Jimmy Little (OAM) as the cover and both the originals are so identifiable I probably don't need to post them...so enjoy ya twofa (two for one).

So poll A: The Stand By Me Challenge

Edit: Poll A is wrong, this is not the Jimmy Little cover of Ben E Kings song, it is a completely different song....so we had a reel to reel of Jimmy singing the Ben E King song in a country style when I was a kid but despite searching I cannot find it.

Original:

Same name different song:

Poll B (if it works): The Under the Bridge Challenge:

Original:

Cover 1:

Cover 2 (cos I neglect the Brits, and I can never unheard this so why should you)

Edited by notsmokinjo

I know which way I'm voting on the first question but I'm just not sure on the second.

Now if the Jimmy Little version of Stand By Me is not available in you area it should be on Sotify. . check it out, it's kinda special ...well in my opinion..I mean the original is special but Jimmy Little makes it his own and does it justice.

😟🤫....well that's just crap. Just realised I held off posting the flipping poll until I found the Jimmy Little cover of Stand By Me and it's not the one I wanted.... It's a completely different song called Stand By Me....I was hunting for a country version of the song I grew up listening too on an old real to real... 😱👿😡....so it's not even a cover....which is total crap.

Well on Stand By Me I will always go with the original -- means a lot to me.  As to Under the Bridge I again go with the original, never really heard this song before and I am surprised that I  like the original since I am not a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Martian5 said:

Well on Stand By Me I will always go with the original -- means a lot to me.  As to Under the Bridge I again go with the original, never really heard this song before and I am surprised that I  like the original since I am not a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan.

I feel exactly the same Martian, Stand By Me (Ben E King) means a lot to me also

16 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

@Martian5 you must have still been on Mars in in 1991/2 when Under The Bridge came out it had more air play than any other song for months.

Funny, Jo !

I must have been orbiting with our Martian and never heard Under The Bridge.

Original is the best of the lot but, that isn't an endorsement.

• Like 3

I'm going to check out some of Jimmy Little's work later, but neither of those videos were available to me.

Without knowing the full details of why certain music is not available in certain nations, I'm just gonna go ahead and assume those bastards at Sony Music and UMG are to blame. 

21 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

@Martian5 you must have still been on Mars in in 1991/2 when Under The Bridge came out it had more air play than any other song for months...although maybe it wasn't as big a hit in the US as it was here....it was #1 down here for weeks... Glad you liked it.

That song was huge here in the States as well.  Perhaps the age thing is a factor here, I was a senior in high school when "Under the Bridge" came out.  At my school, that album "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" was so ubiquitous that if you didn't buy a copy one was issued to you.

19 hours ago, reciprocity said:

You know, I have heard that song a lot of times over the years but never once knew the name of it. 

The wife keeps telling me; "You're not paying attention!"

As usual, she's right.  

I have the exact opposite problem with Sugar Britches.  She gets irritated by the fact that I can remember song titles and lyrics but have a hard time remembering people's names.

There I was minding my own business, singing along to "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" by the Georgia Satellites.  Then she says: "So you remember every line from an old rock song, but can't remember a man's name that you just talked to?"

To which I replied: My honey, my baby, don't put my love upon no shelf....

• Haha 5

I don't get why the rest of the world can't get Jimmy Little either. Not sure if you guys have Spotify but a lot of your vids I can't access on you tube I can access on Spotify. 

1 hour ago, Boo said:

At my school, that album "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" was so ubiquitous that if you didn't buy a copy one was issued to you.

Yep...ditto!

• Like 2

I cast my vote for the Ben E. King version of Stand by Me.  I always liked that song and I really like the movie of the same name that came out in the mid '80's.

I voted for the Chili Peppers version of Under the Bridge.  I can't believe you never heard this song, @Martian5😲

Like Boo, this song was huge when I was in high school and I also owned the required CD or cassette tape of that time, Blood Sugar Sex Magik.  However, they still play that song nonstop here and I've gotten to the point where I just really can't stand it anymore.  Still, I had to vote for the original, just because.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2