Help

Despite the patch I'm wearing, the cravings just keep coming and coming today. I should just take it off and go cold turkey, its so bad. I almost didnt post this because I thought no one can tell me something that I don't already know, as far as why I shouldn't try to have "just one". I made it through my noon recovery meeting without bumming one from someone and was so proud of myself....I'm going to another one this evening and I started thinking maybe I can bum "just one".  I can't afford to buy any, not even one pack because I'm living with my nonsmoking family and have no income until I can get back to work after my surgery so I couldn't buy a pack anyway. I have literally NO money.  But I keep thinking just one just one just one. Why put myself through that? I'm past 24 hours which is the farthest I've gotten into a quit in a while now. I don't want to lose that. I'm craving the other substance I used while in active addiction, I'm craving smoking and vaping...the only thing I'm not craving is alcohol.

I want to smoke but I don't want to smoke. It will pass I know and I'll be glad I made it through but right now its just soooo bad.

• Like 4

Good on you for posting Michelle, I've been where you are and I promise you it'll pass. Smoke your straw, take deep drags of clean air. 

Do something that you've always done that you didn't smoke doing. I never smoked in my car so I would take a drive and the crave would almost instantly go away.

• Like 4

Michelle, you can fight that crave.  I can only promise you each day will get better but the tough stuff is in the beginning.

It is great that you posted an sos.  I found that if I breathed deep and thought about the clean air, I would relax.  

• Like 4

Thank you guys. Nothing I've tried has helped so far but I'll try the things you mentioned. It will pass. It will. I know it will cuz I've quit before. Its crazy that this is so hard. Addiction is horrific. 

Wow...Jillar has three years and LInda has almost a year...amazing. You ladies are an inspiration! As far as the meeting I'm taking a friend who quit four years ago, as family is unavailable so hopefully that will help.

• Like 4

The first month is the hardest so lean on us as much as you need to. You've been so successful with all your other addictions so you know you can succeed with this too :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 5

"Just one" will not be just one.  It will not give you the relief you think it will.  It will just ruin another quit and you will wind up smoking again.

You can do this.  The cycle of quitting and relapsing is torture.

Fight through this, Michelle.  You will be glad you did once this craving passes (and they always pass)  Making it through times like this will make your quit stronger.

• Like 6

It's tough in the beginning for all who quit. There's only one way to get there and that's to go through it. All of us who have quit have been there - right where you are now and we know how agonizing those early days can be but you CAN get past them and then gradually, things get more manageable. 

What you are going through is a testament to just how awful this addiction to nicotine is. Now that you are a non-smoker, that's a testament to how strong you can be in fighting it. Keep fighting Michelle!

• Like 6

Cry, scream, rant, rave, curse, sing , dance, pray, walk, run, shower three times a day, punch inanimate objects, crawl under the bed, snap at loved ones, speak outloud in tongues....all of these are acceptable behaviors and I did them all.  Smoking is not acceptable.

• Like 6

Yes it is tough at the beginning but you can be tougher -- remember that.  As said above Jillar's air cigarette can help -- I used that and it really did help.  Deep breathing techniques really help as does drinking cold water (also juice for the sugar levels).  Coming here also is important as you can see -- this can work!!!!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Martian5 said:

Yes it is tough at the beginning but you can be tougher -- remember that.  As said above Jillar's air cigarette can help -- I used that and it really did help.  Deep breathing techniques really help as does drinking cold water (also juice for the sugar levels).  Coming here also is important as you can see -- this can work!!!!

Great point!  Don't forger frequent snacks and juice!  Blood sugar goes nuts.

• Like 5

Hey Michelle -

Please go back and read your SOS post to yourself - I cried when I read it - powerful stuff.

Carry a picture of Jessica & Alex with you, when you think you are going to cave, pull it out and tell them your choice is to smoke.

(it might just change your mind)

You are tough enough - believe it. 

KTQ

• Like 7

How are you doing, Michelle ?

Stay focused.  You have one job and that is to NOT SMOKE.

This gives you freedom to do lots of other lovely things.

Reward yourself for every crave you beat

and as others have said,

watch your blood sugar and drink some juice.

• Like 2

Hi Michelle, I was going to say the same as @beazel: read your SOS answer to yourself. Maybe put it on your fridge and read it right away when you need it?

Post an SOS whenever you need it. You are the one making or breaking your quit, but reaching out is so important (at least it was for me).

• Like 4

Sorry I'm late .(as usual).....TimeZone ..gets in the way sometimes ...

Well done Michelle ....you won that battle ...you sent that Nico Monster packing .!!!

This is how you win ..you fight ...I'm proud of you !!!!

Well done Quit Train peeps ....your the best !!!.....

• Like 2