Newbie here!

Diane R

Hello Everyone,

First I’m really enjoying all the great info and personal stories on this forum. Thanks to everyone who has shared their stories to help others. It’s not an easy thing to give up cigarettes. At least not for me.

I wish I had never seen a cigarette. My father was a smoker. And most of my friends where smokers too. Back when I started you could smoke everywhere. Of course I’m from Virginia big  tobacco state. I now live in Florida and you can’t smoke most places. As with most states. Hopefully this is helpful in my journey to quit. This is my third time quitting, one time I quit for well over a year. So I know it can be done. I must always remember I am addicted to nicotine. My taking Chantix this time to quit and I’m at the end of my third week. I’m  currently still smoking but not much at all. Each time I light a cigarette I realize I don’t really want it and it’s not  giving me any satisfaction and doesn’t taste the same. So I’m not smoking much of the ones I light. It seems it’s just the habit of smoking that is getting the best of me. Don’t get me wrong I still think about smoking but most of the time it passes quickly and I can do without it. But there are times I still feel the overwhelming need to light that cigarette. And than I light it and it’s a total let down. So I know the Chantix is doing it’s job. It starting working within the first few days. I noticed I wasn’t smoking anywhere near what I smoked by the 4th day. And it’s slowly becoming less and less. I’m only having a little nausea as a side effect and today it’s been much better. So who know might be from withdrawals as I’m not really smoking enough to matter. I am a heavy smoker. I’m sharing my experience to date. I hope it can help others. While Chantix isn’t for everyone, it’s working for me. And please if you are considering using Chantix to quit do so only under a doctors care. This is no drug to be messing with if you aren’t under a doctors care.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Diane, quitting smoking will prove to be one of the best things you have ever done for yourself.

17 minutes ago, Diane R said:

But there are times I still feel the overwhelming need to light that cigarette. 

Those are the moments that solid quits are built upon.

Every time you get a strong craving but don't smoke, you are training yourself to be a non-smoker.

Quitting is a process.  A process that will reward you many times over.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Diane R said:

It seems it’s just the habit of smoking that is getting the best of me.

The habit is what got to me too Diane, that's why I used my JAC (jillars air cigarette). I just pretended I was holding an actual cigarette and then went through the motions of "smoking" it. I took deep drags too (nice clean air). It really worked at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Even if I did look stupid dong it lol.

• Like 4

Welcome Diane.  So glad you found us.  

I smoked for many years and had many attempts at quitting.  For some reason, this forum was the magic that helped me quit.  

Read as much as you can here and stay close to the forum and we are here to help you through.  Quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones.

• Like 3

One day at a time Diane - that's how it's done.

Every battle you win, you get stronger and the Nicodemon you are battling gets weaker. 

Always remember why you are quitting and that you and only you are in complete control in this process.

You will get lots of support and good information here as well and that is a great quit tool as well.

There's a daily NOPE pledge page here as well. That's where some go each day to pledge not to smoke - just for today. 

Glad you found us :) 

• Like 5

Welcome aboard, Diane.  Yes, quitting can be done and it is worth the early struggles.

As Boo said, every time you fight through a strong craving, your quit gets stronger so keep fighting.  Things get much better with time.

Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can possibly do.  Your life is much better without being a slave to nicotine.

Stick around.  There is plenty of support and knowledge you can gain here to help you quit for good.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes and advise. Jillar I used  twislers to hold like cigarettes the first time I quit for the year and they helped a lot. They gave me the feeling on holding the cigarette. I’m going to use them again this time too. 

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Diane glad to have you along.  I had smoked many years but on this quit I found this sight and it was a godsend.  Lots of information to help educate yourself and a bunch of great (if a bit strange) people that are willing to share experiences that can be of great help!!!!!

• Like 5

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes. And yes still here. Reading and watching videos. There is a  wealth of information on this forum and I plan on using it to reach my end goal!

• Like 4

Welcome !  Please learn all you can about nicotine addiction.

Education is the best tool in your tool box and we have a plethora of materials here at your fingertips.

You are going to have to learn how to live as a non-smoker and retrain your brain.

Rewards are an integral part of a quit and a fun one to boot.

Dig this post, The Significance of Rewards.

When are you going to start your quit ?  

• Like 3

I’ve been on Chantix this is my 3rd week. I’m doing the no set quit date. But I am proud of myself as even with some other medical issues I’m still staying on the program. I’m not letting  that give me the excuse to stop trying. I’m hoping by Monday I will me smoke free. Only 4 cigarettes today which is big for me. I’m a heavy smoker. It’s more the habit that as a hold on me. Cause the cigarettes aren’t doing anything for me. I light one and take a few puffs and I don’t really want it and put it out. Baby steps.  It I’m also tried of the withdrawals so I’m going to push myself to try not to have a cigarette tomorrow. 

Edited by Diane R
  • Like 2

It's those habitual routines that take time to readjust to mentally Diane. Take this opportunity to change up your daily routines as much as you can. You will find that as a nonsmoker you will have a lot more time on your hands. It takes time to get comfortable to filling that time with whatever you feel is productive activities. It will happen, it just takes some time.

• Like 2

Hi Diane, welcome and thanks for introducing yourself.

Take a good look around, there's so much valuable information on here. Suck it all in and enjoy the ride. There will be yucky times, but also plenty of "Ahhh, but wait! I can do this!" moments. 

It would be nice to follow your journey along with you. Keep us posted!

• Like 2

Good morning everyone,

im just waking up, couldn’t get to sleep last night. No surprise has I’ve been sleeping so much. And thanks for checking on me Doreen! I’m doing ok for the moment. I’m going on a little weekend get away with my girlfriends from out of town. Going over to the west coast of Florida. They don’t smoke so hopefully I will be smoke free by Monday. Both of them smoked but have since quit. So they will cheer me on this weekend. I’m sure I’ll be stopping by for support over the weekend. Happy Friday everyone 

• Like 4

Good for you -- glad to see you are still going strong.  Taking some time with friends, especially since they have been where you are now, could very well help you in your journey-- congrats so far you are doing well!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks guys we will they are a riot! They alway make me laugh. I feel bad cause they have been in town a few days and I’ve been so sick I couldn’t hang out with them. They understand so they are more worried about me. So it’s nice to have good supportive friends. The beach is just what I need. It’s my happy place. Nothing like the sound of the ocean to calm your nerves! I alway feel so peaceful there. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure your get away will do you good, especially with such caring, nonsmoking friends! Have a blast and relax.

You are doing something very special for yourself so celebrate your new, nonsmoking life :) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Diane R said:

Good morning everyone,

im just waking up, couldn’t get to sleep last night. No surprise has I’ve been sleeping so much. And thanks for checking on me Doreen! I’m doing ok for the moment. I’m going on a little weekend get away with my girlfriends from out of town. Going over to the west coast of Florida. They don’t smoke so hopefully I will be smoke free by Monday. Both of them smoked but have since quit. So they will cheer me on this weekend. I’m sure I’ll be stopping by for support over the weekend. Happy Friday everyone 

I researched Chanitx and learned they give you three months.

All I have to say is

if you want to quit smoking then, quit smoking.

Make a commitment to yourself and understand that you can never have another puff EVER.

Simple.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Diane R said:

They don’t smoke so hopefully I will be smoke free by Monday. Both of them smoked but have since quit.

You WILL be smokefree by monday. Thats the whole point in quitting, right?

Have a great weekend, seems like you are in good company!

• Like 3