Chantix

Diane R

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been taking Chantix to quilting smoking. I’m on my 3rd week. So far it’s working. I’ve been a smoker for at least 40 years. This is my 3rd  attempt  To quit(hope 3rd time is the charm). I quit the first time for over a year and thought I could have one and stop. And at first I could. But I got to  confident  That I could only have one once in a while. Nope I can’t I’m  truly addicted to nicotine. I can’t have just 1 or 2. I know this now. I’m now down to a few cigarettes a day. Most of the time I don’t even smoke half of the cigarette. And it definitely doesn’t taste the same. I think I’m battling the habit at this point. Chantix has been a little tough on me. The  nausea is the worst of it. So yesterday I took a  dramamine  And it stopped the nausea. That has been the only side effect I’ve had. I have been very  tired but that’s  The nicotine withdrawal I know from the last time I quit. As anyone esle quit with Chantix? 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard QuitTrain @Diane R. First off, well done to reaching the 3rd week of your quit. I have never used Chantix before so I have no experience on its side effects. Please consider seeing a doctor if Chantix gives you trouble. Maybe the following videos will help (I haven't seen the second one, found it in Joel's collection of videos on his channel, it may help though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27eei-r6BvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZj9tEEkaEs

All the best and reach out to us in the SOS section at any time!!! Here's the thread on posting an SOS:

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/8-posting-an-sos/

• Like 1

Hello Diane, welcome.

I believe @Nancy quit with Chantix and has a long successful quit.

There may be others.

I, like @Christa326 quit cold turkey.

This site supports ALL quits.

Let us know when you quit and we will be great support.

In the meantime, watch the videos that @Ankush so kindly found for you

and continue with your education about nicotine addiction.

You may find this thread helpful 10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Help Yourself Quit Smoking

Edited by Sazerac

Welcome aboard Diane, we have lots of successful quitters who used chantix. I quit the first time using it but didn't take it for the length of time recommended and relapsed. So my clue for you would be to take it for the time recommended which I believe is three months. 

As far as the nausea I found that eating something as small as a mini donut before you take your pill worked great. You just want to have a little something in your stomach.

• Like 2

HI and welcome Diane :)

I believe @JimHannoonen quit using this method too and he's been quit long term. Maybe he will chime in on this quit method too. I have also heard good things about it although some seem to get bad side effects while some don't. If it's working well for you ..... that's great! Stick around and you'll get awesome support here.

• Like 2

Oh haaaaaaay!

Yes, I quit with Chantix and initially, it was all sunshine and rainbows. It made one of the hardest things I'd ever do not so bad at all. I took it for a few weeks, set my quit date and that was that. I can't say that I wouldn't have been able to quit without it, but it helped a lot.

My issues started when I weaned myself off of the Chantix. I didn't have that chemical crutch anymore and had to deal with the reality that I couldn't smoke and that was hard for me. The mood swings and everything else that typically comes with quitting showed up. It was a rough patch, but I never smoked. Never even considered it. Not once.

After about the 9 month mark, I finally felt normal again. It was a rough road, but of course, it was worth it.

I got nauseous a time or two, but making sure I had food in my belly before I took it solved that problem.

At the end of the day, whether you stay quit or not is up to YOU. Chantix will help, but It's a decision YOU have to make and stick with NO MATTER WHAT. If you're committed, you won't smoke. If you're not committed, you will. It really is as easy as that.

I smoked for 30 years and was as addicted as anyone and here I am 2.5 year later, smoke free. If I can do it, you can do it. Stay strong, stick to your guns and you got it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the support. While I am using Chantix I know I have to want to quit. I quit with laser treatments the first time and I was smoke free for well over a year. I just need a little help. I will keeping telling myself I won’t be a salve to cigarettes. When I really stop and think how much they run my life I’m quite pissed off. As I’m sure anyone who has ever smoked know they are calling the shots. I never went anywhere with making sure I had enough cigarettes. Since I don’t like to be controlled this should me a good tool for me. I’m ready to me done with them. Each time I think I need a cigarette that what I remind myself. Only 2 cigarette today so far. And I’m a heavy smoker. Also live with a smoker. Makes it a little harder. But he is good about not bringing them home. He has alway been able to not smoke when he’s home. Not me.

• Like 2

I quit using Chantix and celebrated 6 years free last week.  Always take Chantix with food...the only time I was nauseous was when I took it on an empty stomach.  Keep in mind that the Chantix takes the edge off withdrawal symptoms, but you still have to make the commitment.  Quitting can be uncomfortable, or sometimes even miserable, but it will not kill you and all symptoms are temporary.  You can do this...as you have discovered the hard way, we are all one puff away from a pack a day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

-ankush I’m under a doctors care with Chantix. I wouldn’t take it any other way. And it’s not for everyone. I have none of the other side effect or I won’t take it. Only nauseous, but my stomach can be a bit on the  sensitive side.

Edited by Diane R
  • Like 1

I myself went cold turkey but I have seen others use Chantix  with success.  Whatever helps you to quit and using the medical approach may be of great benefit as long as you follow your Doctors orders.  Some that did not succeed with Chantix all stated that they had stopped using it too soon.  

• Like 4

I have seen that people who quit taking Chantix before the 3 months is up almost always start again. It’s not an option for me to give up. I have other health issues to deal with as well as quitting. So more  motivation to stop. Thanks everyone for all the support!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Diane R said:

-ankush I’m under a doctors care with Chantix. I wouldn’t take it any other way. And it’s not for everyone. I have none of the other side effect or I won’t take it. Only nauseous, but my stomach can be a bit on the  sensitive side.

Ok, as others have mentioned, maybe have a bite before taking Chantix.

• Like 2

I have friends who have successfully quit with Chantix... Everyone I know who had success with it did the full 3 months.

I have a failed quit using it because it didn't agree with me. If you do get any odd side effects please see your doctor immediately don't down play them. Adverse reactions are very rare but they do happen. If things don't feel right, then please see the doctor.

• Like 5

I’ve only had the sour stomach and that’s going away now. I alway take it with food. And a full glass of water. I’m hoping to be done with cigarettes my Monday. I’m starting to feel better each day. The  fatigue has been bad. And I know I still have a way to go, but I’ll make it.  And thanks for the support everyone. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Diane R said:

I’ve only had the sour stomach and that’s going away now. I alway take it with food. And a full glass of water. I’m hoping to be done with cigarettes my Monday. I’m starting to feel better each day. The  fatigue has been bad. And I know I still have a way to go, but I’ll make it.  And thanks for the support everyone. 

What about the dreams.  Are you handling the dreams OK?   Are you having any intense dreams?

I heard  tales of nightmares before I stared Chantix, but didn’t experience any myself.  The dreams were the most interesting effect of using Chantix for me

Edited by Wayne045
  • Like 3

On 7/11/2019 at 1:19 PM, Diane R said:

I have seen that people who quit taking Chantix before the 3 months is up almost always start again. It’s not an option for me to give up. I have other health issues to deal with as well as quitting. So more  motivation to stop. Thanks everyone for all the support!

Chantix or no chantix,

When you make the commitment to yourself to stop smoking

and when you understand nicotine addiction,

you will understand that you can ever take another puff ever again.

This will lead you to awesome changes.

• Like 1

I’m not having to many dreams I’ve had 1 or 2 there where funny dreams. No nightmares. And I do know I can’t smoke again. I’m addicted to nicotine. But the Chantix as allowed me to not care so much about smoking. I light 1 and don’t really want it. Everyone must find what works for them. If I could do it on mine own I would have by now. It’s not  convenient to be a smoker. 

• Like 2

Despite my experience I'm not against Champix (what it's called down here) and I'm sorry if I gave that impression ... I know too many successful ex smokers who used Champix for it not to be worth trying if cold turkey is not for you. It's not like I didn't have an NRT crutch at the start of my quit. If it gets you over the line to freedom they go for it...I'm with you 100% of the way.

• Like 2

I wish I could just put them down. I’ve been a smoker for 40 plus years. Quitting is one of the hardest things to do and staying quit is even hard. I also live with a smoker. This makes it much harder. He is the one that could just put them down. He can come home and not smoke all weekend. I wish! Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 3

Hi Diane and welcome,

Everyone must find what works for them.  With that being said: I would reach into my goody bag and use whatever forms I had to ease the withdrawal !!!!

I mean whatever!!!!! My motto is Do anything, any way, any how NOT TO TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!!!

And then I would celebrate OFTEN!!!! every half hour(lol) or hour!!!! seriously. I was making some life changing choices and I meant  business!!! I Can not let anything, or anyone get in the middle of my FREEDOM !!!! Hang in there Ms. Diane, read alot on here and stay close. YOU CAN do this

• Like 5

Thanks Queen Bee! Well still on my mini vacation. I did ok yesterday. Had a few drinks. But I only smoke 3 cigarettes all day. So I hope the one I just lite and put out was my last. Didn’t even want it. And last night I thought I would have one before I went to bed and than picked it up had in my hand and decided I didn’t want or need it. So I think that was a win. I’m get closer to not having another puff! 

Edited by Diane R
  • Like 2