Omg so much trouble...

...quitting this time. Back and forth back and forth even tho I know what I'm doing to my body. Is it ok to talk about NRT here? My doctor prescribed patches for me and I've picked July 4th as my quit date. My freedom date. Thank you all for being here to support each other. It helped me quit last time. I can do it again!!

• Like 7

Hey Michelle glad to hear from you again.  Good that you have your date planned.  And yes there have been people on this site who have been successful on this site quitting with NRT, whatever will get you thru quitting smoking.  Again make sure you educate yourself and ask any questions that might help you!!!!

• Like 6

Of course it's ok to talk about NRT here. There's no shame in using them to get you past the first few hard days/weeks/months. Just make sure to have a stop plan for them too once you're farther along in your quit. 

You can do it Michelle, we're all proof of that :) 

• Like 7

NRT's are perfectly fine to discuss, Michelle, and I like having July 4th as your freedom (quit) date.

Educate yourself as much as possible about what you are doing and stick around here for support.  I can tell you from personal experience that the back-and-forth between quitting and smoking is torture.  It is best to go ahead and quit for good.

We are here for support if you need it.

• Like 7

I don't know what you mean by "so much trouble"

and hope you are doing OK.  Let us know if we can help with anything.

You might remind yourself of Cristóbal's proper sequence...

YOU --> QUIT --> LIFE.

Here is the original thread.

• Like 3

So glad to see you back Michelle.  We would never give up on a quitter no matter how many quits it takes.  

Just stay close to the forum,  pledge nope everyday and reach out for support.

I hope this is your final quit.  The power and freedom are amazing.

• Like 6

Keep on keeping on. If you want some inspo here check our Lilly. She's been here loads of time and now has a sticky quit! NRT. Yes absolutely. Are you in the UK? If so get yourself to the smoking cessation classes. Or the pharmacy. Any support you can get, take it! 

I've done planned quits before and we spent weeks researching quitting and how we were going to cope. The preparation really felt great. If you're going to smoke until the 4th, get yourself prepared. In the head really. 

Edited by WeegieWoman
  • Like 7

If NRT helps get you over the hurdle use it, I did. Just remember it's not a miracle cure, you still have to do the work and fight the good fight...but it's like swimming a race with flippers, it just gives ya that extra boost to help you over the line....you still have to kick, and float and move your arms to get there... 

I do not regret NRT because "for me" it was what I needed, even if it was a little bit psycosematic, I needed that crutch. Do I think in some ways it prolonged the craving/anxty stage, yeah it did, but it got me through the psychological stage before I had to deal completely with the physical. I honestly think for me the emotional and mental part of my addiction was greater than the physical part.

I believe it's all a case of horses for courses....we don't all look the same, we don't all think the same, we don't all quit the same.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 6

I'm with the others ...if it helps ....as long as you  stick to the programme.....

While your waiting for the 4 th July ...spend that time reading all you can here ....watch all Joel,s  video,s...

Learn all about this horrible addiction ...learn shy you find it hard to quit ...once you understand it ....all comes clear ,and will give the the weapon to fight with ...

My advice is stick to this place like glue ,post,post....there will always be someone here to help you through , your battles.....

You can do it !!!!!

• Like 5

I second reading about addictions, the psychology behind it. This helped me immensely when I quit. And regarding NRT, if it helps then absolutely go for it! Whatever it takes for you not to smoke anymore. Look forward to your posts 🙂

• Like 4

I wouldn't recommend NRT, but it's not about me here. If your doctor thinks NRT will help you quit, and NRT will make you more confident in being able to secure a successful quit, then go for it.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:09 PM, MichelleDoesntSmokeAnymore said:

It helped me quit last time. I can do it again!!

Michelle, these brief periods of not smoking can't be categorized as a "quit".  As a matter of fact this constant stopping and starting tends to make things more miserable.  I would never tell you to stop trying.  In fact it took me dozens of attempts to finally get it. 

NRT, cold turkey, vaping, tough circumstances in life, stress.  All of these things you've mentioned in previous attempts don't really matter.  Getting your mind behind a 100% commitment is the only way you will ever succeed.  It can be done.  It is worth it.  

• Like 4