Never Too Late

Boo

My dad turned 73 years-old earlier this month and today he started the fourth week of his new workout regimen.  As he got his strength back after having double bypass surgery last year he made a point to stay as busy as his body would allow.  He picked back up working on the family farm and made a point to walk a minimum of 30 minutes a-day.

It has worked out well for him.  The more exercise he got, the better he felt.  Unfortunately, a couple of the doctors he sees didn't seem to understand that he was feeling much better physically and mentally by staying busy.  "Take it easy" they said, "you have to understand the limitations of a man your age."  

Nothing motivates the old man like getting pissed off.  Dad said: "those bastards (his doctors) are telling me I need to sit in a rocking chair and wait to die."  He concluded by saying: "they can kiss my ass."

I gave him my copy of "The Barbell Prescription" by Jonathan Sullivan and Andy Baker.  Also put him in touch with a guy I know in Cleveland who knows more about strength training than anyone else I know and he agreed to train my dad.  Right now he goes to the gym twice-a-week to allow for plenty of recovery time between workouts.  His trainer has him focused on three of the fundamental lifts: Deadlift, Overhead Press, and Bench Press.  Every workout session is built around the Deadlift for the time being.  On days when he doesn't go to the gym he stays busy (working and walking) and he recently bought an airdyne bike that he rides daily.

I'm not advocating a reckless approach where anyone takes on more than they can handle.  However...finding a good starting point, working from there, and making continuous progress will provide great benefits to anyone regardless of age or any other factors.

• Like 9

Well done for your father, glad he can see the big picture and follow what his body says.  Reminds me of my father who at 70 told him the same thing(which he did not do), and now he is 89 still moving along good.  The more exercise you can tolerate the better you will feel physically and mentally!!!!

• Like 6

The old man is turning into a real ironhead now.  He did three strength training sessions last week.

His trainer sent me a text earlier.  Dad was at the gym bright and early this morning.  He did Deadlifts and Incline Presses.  The real highlight came when I found out that his trainer has introduced loaded carries to his workouts.  Meaning the old man is now doing Farmer's Walks.

Have I mentioned before that I think the Farmer's Walk is a great exercise?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boo said:

The old man is turning into a real ironhead now.  He did three strength training sessions last week.

He is getting in shape so he can keep up with those grand babies he is waiting for.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A brief update: the old man wrapped up his eighth week of training today.  He's made steady progress, has surprised his trainer with how much weight he has added to his Deadlifts, and dad says his back feels better now than it has in years.

His trainer has made a great impact on his life and dad has made an impact on his trainer.  The trainer admitted to me last week that my dad is his favorite client.  Never misses a workout, works hard while he's there, and never complains.  His trainer told me: "it's a relief to not have to explain to a client why we don't do some stupid bullshit they saw on Instagram."  I assured him that would never be a problem: "the old man doesn't know what Instagram is."

Barbells are good medicine.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 3:19 PM, Boo said:

His trainer told me: "it's a relief to not have to explain to a client why we don't do some stupid bullshit they saw on Instagram."  I assured him that would never be a problem: "the old man doesn't know what Instagram is."

Someone who is living life and getting healthy by hitting the iron is not going to have much time for instagram. He has bigger fish to fry.

So by training, he is not only adding years to his life but adding life to his years. The gym just offers something that no other place can. One gets hooked on the adrenaline, the "pump", sound of clanking iron, just feeling like you can take on the world.

I thought of this commercial, check it out -

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JB 883 said:

Someone who is living life and getting healthy by hitting the iron is not going to have much time for instagram. He has bigger fish to fry.

So by training, he is not only adding years to his life but adding life to his years. The gym just offers something that no other place can. One gets hooked on the adrenaline, the "pump", sound of clanking iron, just feeling like you can take on the world.

He just finished his tenth week of training.  He started out with two strength training sessions a week, but has been consistently going to the gym three times a week.  Right now he's doing two heavy sessions and one lighter session per week.  He is also doing a lot of mobility and balance exercises, some that he does seven days a week.

The change is already noticeable.  He walks better.  His back is in better shape than it has been in years.  He's sleeping better at night.  Overall, he's in much better shape now than he was just three months ago.

And even more good news: Dad has been talking to me about doing more hiking and fly fishing this Fall.  The old man is feeling strong and healthy and is ready to get out and have some fun in the mountains.

• Like 1

Sounds like he is addicted to exercise and the adrenaline that comes with it. THAT is an addiction to have!

You know it is great, pretty much the moment we start doing good by our health, we start to feel better.

Are YOU going to be in shape too for the hikes and fishing?

And when he said,

On 6/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, Boo said:

"those bastards (his doctors) are telling me I need to sit in a rocking chair and wait to die."  He concluded by saying: "they can kiss my ass."

Damn straight. What he is doing now is better than anything those doctors could prescribe. He is on a natural, proven, and completely legal medication for his back, sleep patterns, mental health, physique, something to do while rockin' out to some good jams, and the list goes on. The only downside about fitness training is ummm, well i cannot think of any.

Tell him there are people he has never even met that are very proud of him. If he does have a rocking chair, it will be something to do overhead presses with on light days.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, Linda Thomas said:

He is getting in shape so he can keep up with those grand babies he is waiting for.  

Now wait a second. I think the grand babies will have to keep up with Gramps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1