Ex-smoker reporting in

Hi everyone!

I quit on the 20th June 2012, so I have just had my 7 year anniversary. I wanted to join this forum as I remember from the time I quit that there weren't that many people around who had quit a long time ago and I could have used their support and advice at the time. So I thought, through my own success in this, maybe I can help someone else. 

I had smoked for the best part of 17 years, a pack a day (at least), by the time I quit and I was only just short of 32 then. So, like a lot of people, I started as a teenager. I think I was addicted to it the day that I smoked for the first time, or very soon after, and it was a HUGE part of my life ever since. It actually ruled my life. When I went camping or to a rock festival with my friends I'd worry if I had enough cigarettes or if there was anywhere I could buy some more, when I was a poor student I would compromise on food at the end of the month so I could afford cigarettes, I have walked an insane amount of miles in the middle of the night to get my fix, I've left my dates alone in the restaurant table as I needed a fix in between courses etc. I've done the whole shebang as I'm sure most people have on this forum. I have also fooled myself a million times into thinking "I've got this - I can smoke socially" and all the other lies most smokers have told themselves at one point in time. 

I quit for a significant period of time twice before I actually quit. I was doing so well on those attempts but the problem, for me, was that I always left the back door open. "Once I've beaten the addiction I can smoke socially". "I can just smoke when I have a drink and then not any other time". Again, many smokers have been there. I, of course, failed. I hated myself for the fact that I couldn't hack it, I always messed it up, always blew my amazing quit. And eventually just resigned myself to be a proper smoker, again. But on the 20th June 2012 something flipped in my head. I was on the street in the middle of the day, took a cigarette out of the pack and realised it was the last one of the pack and I'd have to go buy some more. Then something just went in my head and I decided there and then I actually hate this, I am now done and I will never smoke again. Ever. Not even one puff. Regardless of what happens. I felt surreal, can anyone just quit like THAT?! And I felt extremely relieved - I had just made a major decision which meant I was free. Sure, I would crave it but I was never going to mess this up for the third time. 

This was without a doubt one of the best decisions I've ever made and it has improved my life in so many ways! Not sure if people on here will benefit from someone who quit so long ago but in case they do, I would love to be able to help. 

Edited by greenlight
  • Like 7

Welcome to QuitTrain, greenlight!  Congratulations on 7 years smoke free.  That is awesome.

I can relate to a lot of your experiences that you described and I think your support and desire to help others quit will be very welcome here.

Make yourself at home here.  Helping people quit smoking is a great thing.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard greenlight.  You have a fantastic quit going at 7 years.  I am sure there is much you can add to the forums as you already have.  We must always remain vigilant to our quit, it can be so easy to lose.  Anyway glad that you are here and look forward to your posts.   

• Like 4

Thanks Martian5 for the lovely welcome! You're at over a year too, that's so amazing!! I think there definitely are things about smoking/quitting that only a fellow (ex) smoker can understand. 

Edited by greenlight
  • Like 3

Welcome aboard Greenlight.

Seasoned veterans are a real asset here at the Quit Train.  There is a symbiotic relationship between the newbies and the veterans.

Grab a seat and stay a while.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, greenlight said:

This was without a doubt one of the best decisions I've ever made and it has improved my life in so many ways! Not sure if people on here will benefit from someone who quit so long ago but in case they do, I would love to be able to help.

Without people like you, that reach out and support others,  I would not be quit.  I tried everything from hypnosis to cessation clinics, patches and gum  - nothing was successful until I found this forum and received the support of other quitters.  They sure carried me across the thresh hold to  freedom.  

Congratulations on you seven years of freedom.  I am excited that you will be sharing your wisdom.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boo said:

Welcome aboard Greenlight.

Seasoned veterans are a real asset here at the Quit Train.  There is a symbiotic relationship between the newbies and the veterans.

Grab a seat and stay a while.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I'll be happy if I can help someone a bit :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

Without people like you, that reach out and support others,  I would not be quit.  I tried everything from hypnosis to cessation clinics, patches and gum  - nothing was successful until I found this forum and received the support of other quitters.  They sure carried me across the thresh hold to  freedom.  

Congratulations on you seven years of freedom.  I am excited that you will be sharing your wisdom.

Oh wow, I'm so glad to hear you found the help you needed on this forum! That's amazing and glad you've also stuck around to help others since you quit! It's been a long time now, well done!! Interested to hear how you actually managed it after everything you tried, did you need something else apart from the forum? Seriously impressed given you'd tried everything!

• Like 1

Hi greenlight, congratulations on 7 years quit! :) I wish I had of been as smart as you to quit so young. Thank you for signing up to offer your support, it's always appreciated and welcomed :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jillar said:

Hi greenlight, congratulations on 7 years quit! :) I wish I had of been as smart as you to quit so young. Thank you for signing up to offer your support, it's always appreciated and welcomed :)

Thank you and thanks for the lovely welcome! Quitting is a great decision at any age, there are only benefits to be gained from it, regardless of how old you are or where you are in your life. I can see you've also quit a long time ago, and have posted a lot on here to help others, that's just lovely :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenlight said:

nterested to hear how you actually managed it after everything you tried, did you need something else apart from the forum?

No help but the forum and cold turkey.  Who is best to help an addict?  Other addicts.  They made me realize I was stronger than my crave.  

To me it felt like they were able to read between the lines and tap into who I really was.  I had smoked for so many years, I had given up on myself.  They helped me believe in myself.

I am so grateful for their help and want to  help others.  

So glad you have joined the group.

• Like 2

Welcome Greenlight to our merry band and congratulations on your quit !

Your experience is invaluable.

The more voices we have only serve to amplify our collective strengths.

Please settle in, have a look around and post often.

S

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

No help but the forum and cold turkey.  Who is best to help an addict?  Other addicts.  They made me realize I was stronger than my crave.  

To me it felt like they were able to read between the lines and tap into who I really was.  I had smoked for so many years, I had given up on myself.  They helped me believe in myself.

I am so grateful for their help and want to  help others.  

So glad you have joined the group.

This is basically what I did too when I quit. Quit cold turkey as mentioned in my initial post and then immediately joined a forum. I spent a lot of time reading about addictions and posted on the forum straight away about having quit. It created a sort of a social setting, I would have to own up (or quietly disappear) if I messed it up. It was a massive help to read about other people's experiences, other smokers really understand it the best. I appreciated all the support of course, but someone who has never smoked just doesn't have the same level of insight into it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Welcome Greenlight to our merry band and congratulations on your quit !

Your experience is invaluable.

The more voices we have only serve to amplify our collective strengths.

Please settle in, have a look around and post often.

S

Thank you for the warm welcome and congrats on your long quit!! :)

3 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Hello and welcome Greenlight ...

Congrats on your fabulous quit....

Newbies need folks who have travelled thier journey to freedom ,and share the experience ....glad your here ...

Thanks so much :) Amazing to see so many people on here with such long quits 👍

Edited by greenlight
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ankush said:

Welcome aboard. I, like all here, appreciate your selfless action to support fellow ex-smokers, new and old alike. Also, congratulations on staying quit for 7 years!!!

Thank you for your kind words and congratulations on your quit! How's it going so far?

Just now, greenlight said:

Thank you for your kind words and congratulations on your quit! How's it going so far?

Its going OK, still adjusting mentally to being an ex-smoker...i make a daily pledge to not smoking and i stick to it, taking life as an ex-smoker a day at a time.

• Like 3