Article: My dad easily gave up his Marlboros. Now he won’t give up his Juul

I am on the fence on this one.  I am not for vaping, however if it is  a step in the right direction for smokers to quit then I can see the good.  However, I am cannot see vaping as a replacement to cigarettes -- just replacing the form of addiction.  Vaping my not have the negative consequences as cigarettes but the jury is still out on this, but it does not replace the addiction unless the person is committed to quitting smoking.  I also am not for the advertising showing it as an alternative to cigarettes -- that needs more review and attention especially to how this is viewed by minors.

• Like 1

If its used as a step down, OK. But at six months he's getting his nicotine fix and still addicted to it . Electronic Nicotine Delivery Devices (ENDD)

I don't look down on people who use this but its a band aide IMO

They are advertising this as a way to quit ciggs, sales of juul have been veery good for the co so people are buying into it

Educate them on nicotine addiction and they make their own choice

• Like 1

Hypothetically speaking, if there was a good slogan to use by mass protesters against e-cigs it would be - End ENDD. Not undermining anyone's method of achieving their quit, but I'm just saying it would make for a good slogan.

• Like 1

I like that slogan, ankusk.

The confusion is all about what the quitters goal is. quit nicotine in a non tobacco form or quit nicotine totally. When nicotine was in my system i was always on edge for the next fix.

Nicotine has its own negative effects on the body. Taking it in tobacco form just makes it worse (because of thousands of additional chemicals). The fact exists that even with e-cigarettes, Nicotine is being administered in the body. I think Big Tobacco exploits the fact that some consumers of Nicotine may think that "I've quit smoking cigarettes, so I'm safe" and push other Nicotine products which they (Big Tobacco) claim are safe as an alternative to smoking while they (Big Tobacco) are fully aware that Nicotine is harmful no matter what the source. After all which business would want their consumers to stop using their products? There would be no profit in that. Its all about educating oneself about Nicotine and using the knowledge as a tool to stay off it. Some may use alternatives to cigarettes to get their Nicotine fix and eventually taper it off to zero, while others may just quit only cigarettes. So, you make a good point about what the quitter wants to achieve.

Quitting is easier said than done though, I still get my craves, although they have reduced in frequency as compared to around 2 weeks ago. I have also thought, may be I should just have one, that will help me, but I know that's the junkie way of thinking and I'm scared of relapsing into a full blown addiction to cigarettes again, remind myself why I quit, and so I don't bother going to the shop and buying that one cigarette.

• Like 3

A school district is fed up with ‘epidemic’ vaping. Now it will randomly test students for nicotine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/06/18/school-district-is-fed-up-with-epidemic-vaping-now-it-will-randomly-test-students-nicotine/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6769d298c28e

8 hours ago, Ankush said:

Quitting is easier said than done though, I still get my craves, although they have reduced in frequency as compared to around 2 weeks ago. I have also thought, may be I should just have one, that will help me, but I know that's the junkie way of thinking and I'm scared of relapsing into a full blown addiction to cigarettes again, remind myself why I quit, and so I don't bother going to the shop and buying that one cigarette.

Addiction, people get caught up and can't shake it. Like crack or any other drug. Nicotine is the chemical we get addicted to and its hard to break away from. Big Tobacco just wants to deliver the nicotine to the people as they will get hooked, just like a bookie wants to give the gambler his number to place a wager.

If I had to make an educated guess as to whether vaping has:

a) Helped more people completely wean off nicotine

b) Caused more people to become addicted to nicotine 

.......I'm pretty sure "b" would win hands down.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Whispers said:

Big Tobacco just wants to deliver the nicotine to the people as they will get hooked, just like a bookie wants to give the gambler his number to place a wager.

That is correct