Mr EX Smoker here [hopefully]

Only joined a day or 2 ago - my name is George, I'm 52 and I live in the UK. I lost my wife to lung cancer four years ago, she was only 52, the same age as I am now, it was a very aggressive cancer and she died 6 weeks after diagnosis, it was almost certainly [in my opinion] a result of her/our smoking, I miss her every day. I have a son who is now 20, he's a good lad and I'm very proud of him, he is even more good looking than his old man  😀

Smoked since being a young lad, at one stage I was smoking 40 a day, I have a LONGGGG history of giving up smoking but this time I am giving it all I have got and then some, I'm not sure when I gave up only it's roughly a month ish give or take, I've always counted the days before but this time I couldn't care less, only that I wont start again.

It's very nice to meet everyone here, I already posted a message on another board before this introduction thing and have already met and received advice from some really nice members, there seems to be a lot of great people that post here.

I've got a Border Collie called Benjie [I didn't name him] since I gave up smoking he's never had it so good lol as I have been walking a lot, trying to regain some fitness, I seem to have much more energy and Benjie has no complaints :) 

That's about it really, my hobbies are Fishing [freshwater] Football [Soccer] Walking now [haha] Food now [haha] Computers [internet mainly] Reading and meeting/making new friends.

To anyone and everyone out there that's giving up the horrible smoking habit/addiction ......... much respect.

• Like 7

Welcome George.  I am so sorry you have suffered the loss of you beloved spouse to smoking.  We all clung to the addiction and looked past the damage it was doing to our lives.

I am glad you have your son and Benjie to help you through this difficult time.

We are all here for you and anxious to help you rid yourself of tobacco.  

Read as much as you can about you addiction and stay close to the forum.  You will be surprised how much easier it gets every day.  

Hang tough and reach out to us at any time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi George, it's nice to formally meet you :) I'm sorry about your wife, I don't think there's too many people on here who hasn't been affected by smoking related cancer. I lost both my dad and uncle (his brother) to cancer caused by smoking.

I'm glad your feeling more energized too. When I quit I didn't feel like doing anything and would have loved to have more energy.

I know you said you're not really counting the days quit but if you take a look at most of our signatures you'll see a quit ticker that counts the days quit, money saved and cigarettes not smoked since you quit. It's super motivating and really an eye opener. Plus it's something you can look at if you feel yourself caving to a crave and see how much you'll be giving up. If you want to make yourself one there's a tab at the top of the page :)

• Like 4

Hi George and what a lovely intro. It's nice to hear about you. So sorry about your wife. I guess that's what a lot of us here are scared of, lung cancer. You have great reasons to quit and great spirit, so great to have you here and stick around and I think you'll do brilliant. 

I went fishing fishing for the first time this year in March on the isle of Bute. Caught a monster rainbow trout and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to go again. 

• Like 5

Hey George welcome, you will find many good people here.  I am sorry for the loss of your wife.  As you mentioned earlier that you had posted in another topic here which is good.  Feel free to post anytime to let us know how you are doing of if you need any advice.  Also you can get lost in the games and socializing topics -- anyway much to help you get thru your quit.  I always recommend the daily NOPE ledge, at first I thought it kind of corny but it has truly helped me on this journey -- to keep the quit going.  Keep strong!!!!

• Like 3

Welcome aboard, George.  I'm sorry to hear about your wife.  Smoking really is terrible.

I'm glad you are quitting.  Stick around, reach out for support, and enjoy yourself here.  You are doing a great thing.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard the QT, George!

So sorry to read that your wife has passed due to lung cancer.....I have a friend just recently diagnosed with it...and it is something those of us with long smoking histories will have to be vigilant about by getting the low-dose lung scan every year.

Read everything you can here and check out the Joel videos...and participate in the forums...you will find support for yourself here and help support others on this journey! 

• Like 3