New to this - couple of questions

This will all of been covered a 100 times + but I've got a couple of questions for anyone that wouldn't mind spending a couple of mins answering [hi btw] 

Been smoking free for about a month ish - I haven't been counting on purpose as it doesn't matter to me how long just staying stopped if you see what I mean? Every time I start counting in the past I've always started again BUT I keep getting bloated and keep breaking wind, mostly at night/early morning and I'm 'hoping' this isn't a permanent thing? If I drink alcohol I absolutely STINK?

I've also lost my voice and sound like Micky Mouse although I went to Docs and he says this is more likely a bug and he's given me anti biotics.

I've been walking, 'trying' to eat healthy etc etc and 'trying' to get blood circulation going again as I can get 'dead feet' while driving - I've been getting depressed also angry too sometimes, well a bit short tempered, the only good thing so far is food - I absolutely love my food atm BUT as I'm trying to be more healthy I can't eat much of it which is annoying too :)

If anyone has any wise words especially about the night time bloating and the flatulence it really would be appreciated, anything really as I feel a bit down and depressed and all that sort of self pity shitty stuff - anyway nice to say hi to anyone out there and much respect

• Like 1

Welcome FunkyFunJo and congrats on taking back your life :) Everything you're dealing with is totally normal and will subside with time. I used my gassy days as payback to a really gassy husband of mine lol. We had the funniest thread on another board about gas that I so wish was here now so you could see just how common it is.

The anger and depression are normal too and will also get better with time. If it gets too bad though I'm sure you could speak to your dr about it and maybe get a temporary med to help you past it.

As far as eating healthy, that's always good but in the early days of your quit you may find you're craving more sweets and junk food. Go ahead and listen to your body. It knows what it needs to help mend the damage done by smoking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Funkyfunjo, glad to have you aboard for this journey.  It is fantastic that you are a month or so in and I get where you are coming from on the exact counting.  As to your questions I did have some bloating in the earlier stages but did not bother me much.  The voice thing not so sure, did/ do have a bit of problem but at this time counting that to allergies, anyway your throat will benefit from quitting -- keep your doctor appraised if it gets worse or you get more concerned  (after I quit because of some throat issues they did do a CAT scan and all came out great).  The blood circulation and the "feet problem" I did have -- what I can say now is that my feet are much better and circulation overall is much better -- this is a continual process as your quit gets longer, you will see many improvements.

There is a lot to read here that will help.  Again great having you along!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sure found that my sense of smell improved after I quit. Could it possibly be you didn't quite realise how bad your farts smell before?!! Lol I remember coming out the gym all sweaty and thinking ooft a bit whiffy and I'd never thought that as a smoker! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for answering, I feel a bit down at the moment and found this site and just thought I'd give it a go, I lost my missus to lung cancer but it didn't stop me, in fact I went worse and ended up smoking 40 a day - spent the last couple of years sad, pathetic and lonely BUT I'm doing my best to rectify the situation.

As for my 'wind problems' I 'think' I only smell really bad after drinking a Beer or 2, it doesn't take much but for some reason alcohol makes my wind issues quite smelly [too much information?]

I am worried about bloating though, I'm staying away from food that has a reputation for these things [like beans] but every evening my belly stretches out and every morning I keep breaking wind until it flattens again, I hope it goes away but it's been a few weeks ish usually though I don't smell bad, I just seem to fill up with 'wind' 

a big thank you for answering , I hope you guys are all doing good, it's nice to get some answers and thank you very much for taking the time, I feel a bit rubbish tonight for some reason, up to now I've done OK, just a downer moment sorry if I sound weak, I WILL win this time though as I think at last I want it enough.

you take it easy and thanks again, just something coming back at me helps :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FUNKYFUNJO said:

BUT I keep getting bloated and keep breaking wind, mostly at night/early morning

I laughed when I read this.  I too posted about excess, stinky gas when I quit.  It lasted about a month.

Welcome FunkyfunJo and great job on two months smoke free.  This is a great place to ask those questions.  We all have been through the variety of different issues that goes with quitting.

No matter what, quitting is the best thing you can do.  It will give you so much more power and self esteem.  

Read as much as you can on the board and post often.  We want to be there to help you on your quit journey.  There is a lot of fun, humor and support here.  

There is the daily Nope pledge, which I love doing every day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FUNKYFUNJO said:

a big thank you for answering , I hope you guys are all doing good, it's nice to get some answers and thank you very much for taking the time, I feel a bit rubbish tonight for some reason, up to now I've done OK, just a downer moment sorry if I sound weak, I WILL win this time though as I think at last I want it enough.

That is what we are here for.  Do not go it alone.  There is so much more strength together.

If you continue to be bloated, you might check with your physician.  I do remember going through a period like that.

Depression comes with quitting because you are saying goodbye to something that you thought comforted you.  It was your friend, but in hindsight, it really was you enemy.

I am sure you are also grieving the loss of your partner.  

Post as often as you like.  There is always someone around to make you laugh or lift you up.  We want you to have success.

• Like 3

Thanks a lot, when it comes to success I think it's sticking this time and as it stands there's NO WAY I will be smoking again, the 'bloating' I have to admit has been a bit of an annoyance and I'm glad it's not just me, not that I'd wish these things on anyone else :)

Smoking has been a major factor when it comes to bad things in my life so you would of 'thought' I'd of give it up ages ago but it's one of those mysteries of life the fact that I haven't but this time I am super determined and to be honest I'm glad I have stumbled upon this forum and I plan to keep dropping as you sound like nice folk.

Noticed Linda your 2 dogs in pic, what breed are they? are they yours or just a pic? after my other half passed away I got a border collie who is now my only and best friend, he's a good lad :)

Thank you everyone for your input, you keep smiling while I keep breaking wind :) [hope it's not forever] it's been nice to meet you.

• Like 1

C

5 hours ago, BKP said:

When all is said and done, that belief will ensure your success.  Welcome Funky.

Cheers BKP - If you want something enough then you'll do it, so I've always believed :) it's just my body/mind seems to work against me sometimes, it's just gone 6am here and feeling more positive again, I think my mind gives me a downer from time to time, maybe it's the addictive part trying to make me smoke again, I don't know, in the past I've had a miserable moment and used it as an excuse, it's not working this time so I'm sticking 2 fingers up to the little devil inside if you see what I mean? He sneaks up on me though when I least expect it.

Got up to take the dog for a good walk but it's bucketing down today so he'll have to wait, still bloated, still flatulating [is that a word] but at least I've been able to moan about it somewhere, it's appreciated.

For a treat I'm off out today for a bit of retail therapy - time to buy some new clothes - thanks again

• Like 2

Welcome aboard @FUNKYFUNJO Its probably a good idea to lay off alcohol for at least the first couple of weeks. It may be the reason behind your stomach problems. As Linda mentioned, if these physical problems persist even after a few weeks, get yourself checked thoroughly by a doctor. The stomach does take some time (the amount of time will vary from person to person) to adjust to not smoking. You could be experiencing some acidity issues, but don't take my word for it, go to a doctor who treats gastrointestinal problems. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetable salads along with fresh fruit juice. For more information, go through some of Joel's videos about the early days of a quit. All the best!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard, @FUNKYFUNJO and congratulations on being smoke free for a month-ish.

I can't add much that hasn't already been said.  I do think the gas issues are common with many quitters but they do seem to go away with time, along with other short-term side effects to quitting (like brain-fog, etc).  The long term benefits to quitting are definitely worth the short-term issues.

It is good to have you here.  Stick around, there is a lot of knowledge and support you can get here to help you stay smoke-free for good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your input - I have had a sore throat too and my voice nearly completely went, I sounded like Mickey Mouse so I went to the Doc who said it was nothing to do with quitting, said it was a 'bug' and gave me some antibiotics which seem to be working - the bloating issues continue though, I mentioned that to the Doc too who said to eat plenty of Wholemeal bread and drink loads of Water, pretty much what you guys said :)

The best thing for me, up to now, is my Asthma has 90% cleared up, it's mainly a self inflicted thing, smoking is so very bad for you in so many ways, I doubt very much I'll start again, for me though it comes along when you least expect, I seem to suddenly get 'down' and my reaction has always been a 'take it out on yourself' kind of thing so I have smoked and smoked some more, I need to be ready, know the signs and be ready - it's like my brains way of getting me to smoke again :)

Anyway atm I'm feeling OK, todays treat is I'm going to throw caution to the wind and EAT, forget about the bloating for now as the anti bloating diet hasn't done much and I'm loving FOOD, I am not one to put weight on so why not eh  :)  

Thanks a lot 

• Like 1

FunkyfunJo, glad you saw your physician and you have found that most of your issues were not quitting smoking related.

You have a good quit going so don't let those smoking thoughts  take over.  That is the addiction talking to you.  Smoking does nothing but ruin the quality of your life.

When you think you are going to give in to those thoughts, post an SOS.  We are here to help you.

I promise things will get better.  Once you rid yourself of this addiction, you gain so much power and self esteem.

• Like 1

Cheers Linda - I do have one question - sounds a bit daft - googled it and haven't found much saying it's a big nono - in 2 minds to even ask really but here goes haha ......

Can you have too many baths ????  I used to take showers all the time but have found taking a bath every evening helps me relax and sleep, I don't have them super hot or anything but I put some smelly aroma stuff in, put on some relaxing music from YouTube and it helps me 'chill out' 

I have been doing this every evening for the last couple of weeks, what you think?

Exercise and deep breathing got me through those moments when I felt irritable or let myself get all wound-up during the early days of the quit.  I don't even remember the last time I wanted a cigarette but still use the deep breathing exercises I learned when I quit daily.  Taking a little pause for the cause and breathing intentionally is just a good way to get yourself centered again.

I don't want to make light of the flatulence situation, but I'm not really sure how much worse my farts were when I quit.  Our sense of smell is improving at the same time our digestive system is adjusting.  Not sure if the farts are worse or if they're just magnified by our improved ability to smell things.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FUNKYFUNJO said:

Cheers Linda - I do have one question - sounds a bit daft - googled it and haven't found much saying it's a big nono - in 2 minds to even ask really but here goes haha ......

Can you have too many baths ????  I used to take showers all the time but have found taking a bath every evening helps me relax and sleep, I don't have them super hot or anything but I put some smelly aroma stuff in, put on some relaxing music from YouTube and it helps me 'chill out' 

I have been doing this every evening for the last couple of weeks, what you think?

Congratulations on your quit. 

I have taken baths every night for the last 50 plus years. Not sure why you think having a daily bath is a problem? Is there something I don't know lol. 

I bought really expensive bath products and body lotions like Estée Lauder, gucci etc when I quit. I smelt so good that I wouldn't have wanted to cover that smell with smoke. 

I also bought strong washing liquid and softener for my clothes.  Smelling nice was a big part of why I never lit up.

Edited by Lilly
  • Like 4

Thanks Lilly - that makes me feel a bit better as you hear things like too many baths take the 'oils' out of your skin and being too clean lowers your immune system, also too many baths are supposed to lower a blokes sperm count, not that I think I will be having any more kids anyway :)

At the moment all this exercise I've started doing leaves me aching, especially my legs and a good soak with a bit of relaxing music and as you say a bit of 'aromatherapy' going on does help, not only my aches and pains but it also helps me relax and get some sleep.

I love a hot soak in the tub.  I hate showers.  My husband always used to tease me and said it was like soaking in ones dirt.  Now that he is older,  I find him taking many a soak, in the evening to help those sore muscles.  

FunkyfunJo, that sounds like a great way to relax from the stresses of quitting.  Wish I had thought of it.  You are doing great.

Wasn't it Tony Randall (the actor) that had a child in his 80's.  A man is never too young to reporduce😮.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FUNKYFUNJO said:

that makes me feel a bit better as you hear things like too many baths take the 'oils' out of your skin and being too clean lowers your immune system, also too many baths are supposed to lower a blokes sperm count

A recent study performed at The Boo Institute (a not-for-profit think-tank based in Tennessee which is just me sitting around giving my opinions on everything) stated that trying to keep up with all the contradictory health reports that come out can drive a person crazy.

Do This For Better Health reads the headline this week.  Fast-forward a couple of months from now and the headline reads: Don't Do That, It'll Kill Ya!   I went down the rabbit hole of trying to keep up with all of the latest studies and reports when I took up the whole health and fitness thing.  I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

Healthy living is rather simple so long as you don't complicate it.  Take care of the big things first and listen to your body.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2