New here

richard

Hi i am 67 and smoke free for 18 days now. Some days very bad and some just bad lol. Had a good day the other day,thought i was turning corner. Nope just  a little step forward. God i hate this. Blood pressure goes up and down,nothing dangerous though. Arms ache from time to time,and very foggy .Although the foggy isnt as bad as it used to be. Anyone else feel like this

• Like 9

Hi Richard.  Yes, Yes and Yes.  We have all experienced those symptoms while quitting smoking.  The good new is you have landed here and we are all her to help you.  18 days is great.

You are in the early stages.  By now you have the nicotine out of your body. 

I am 64 and I smoked for 42 years.  I am now ten months smoke free.  Quitting has given me so much power and self esteem and I have no wish to return to smoking.  I rarely think of smoking.  This is so doable and you are on the right track. 

From this point forward it is just a matter of retraining your brain.  When you get those craves just take a deep breath and think how great it feels to inhale clean fresh air.  Think about how

you are improving your health and extending your life.  Smoking does nothing for you.

I never thought I could quit but, with the help of the people on this forum, it has been possible.

Read as much as you can on the forum, take the Nope pledge each day and reach out to us when you need help.  There is an SOS section when you feel like smoking and we all jump in to help you through.

I am so glad you found us and hope we can guide you through this journey.

Linda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Richard

Welcome and congrats on 18 days.

The good news is the worst is nearly over. The first 3 weeks are the worst. You have done most of the heavy lifting.

Stay close to the board and post an SOS if you need encouragement.

Read widely  the posts on this site to raise your awareness on how to continue your quit. it can last a while bear with it. 

The brain fog thing is a sign of improved oxygen supply to your brain it can be annoying but its a sign of improvement in your circulation . Consult a DR if you are concerned about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Richard, glad to have you along on this journey.  I was 64 when I quit and it has been almost a year and a half of no smoking.  Yes it is a bit tough at the beginning and you are having some of the same symptoms that I (we all) have had.  The good news is that it does get better, not overnight, but it does get better.  Come here often to post, read, and educate yourself -- there is a lot of good information and whole bunch of good people that can help you with this.  Also go to the daily "NOPE" pledge forum and pledge NOPE daily, it may seem corny but it really helped me and continues to so.  Anyway try drinking cold fluids and deep breathing techniques.  This can be done and congrats you are almost three weeks into your quit -- that is a major accomplishment!!!!

• Like 5

Welcome Richard.  You've made a great decision to take back your life and improve your health.  Many people experience negative symptoms the first several weeks (and even months).  All of these annoyances eventually go away and are replaced with positive benefits.  I recall feeling  tired, sleepless, and distracted.  I was also prone to coughing, headaches and irritability.  Those all went away and I'm now healthier than I've been in decades.  So, don't let the irritations trick you into thinking it would be better to just toss your quit and smoke again.  There is a huge pot at the end of the rainbow.....you just might stub your toe a few times until you get there.

You're doing amazing....keep it up!  

• Like 5

Welcome to our site, Richard, and congratulations on 18 days smoke free.   That is a huge accomplishment as the first days and weeks are the toughest but things do get better with time.

What you are going through is natural and most of us experienced a lot of what you are currently going through.  Just don't light up and you will start having more good days than bad days in your quit.

Stick around here.  Read up on nicotine addiction and reach out for help or support if you need it.  Play some of the games here to keep your mind off of smoking. 

18 days smoke free is huge.  Keep up the great work.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Martian5 said:

Welcome aboard Richard, glad to have you along on this journey.  I was 64 when I quit and it has been almost a year and a half of no smoking.  Yes it is a bit tough at the beginning and you are having some of the same symptoms that I (we all) have had.  The good news is that it does get better, not overnight, but it does get better.  Come here often to post, read, and educate yourself -- there is a lot of good information and whole bunch of good people that can help you with this.  Also go to the daily "NOPE" pledge forum and pledge NOPE daily, it may seem corny but it really helped me and continues to so.  Anyway try drinking cold fluids and deep breathing techniques.  This can be done and congrats you are almost three weeks into your quit -- that is a major accomplishment!!!!

thank you will do

13 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Welcome to our site, Richard, and congratulations on 18 days smoke free.   That is a huge accomplishment as the first days and weeks are the toughest but things do get better with time.

What you are going through is natural and most of us experienced a lot of what you are currently going through.  Just don't light up and you will start having more good days than bad days in your quit.

Stick around here.  Read up on nicotine addiction and reach out for help or support if you need it.  Play some of the games here to keep your mind off of smoking. 

18 days smoke free is huge.  Keep up the great work.

thank you so much gonna do this

38 minutes ago, despair not said:

Hi Richard

Welcome and congrats on 18 days.

The good news is the worst is nearly over. The first 3 weeks are the worst. You have done most of the heavy lifting.

Stay close to the board and post an SOS if you need encouragement.

Read widely  the posts on this site to raise your awareness on how to continue your quit. it can last a while bear with it. 

The brain fog thing is a sign of improved oxygen supply to your brain it can be annoying but its a sign of improvement in your circulation . Consult a DR if you are concerned about it.

Thanks for the info and suport and the brain fog ive always had a little lol but now wow lol

1 hour ago, Linda Thomas said:

Hi Richard.  Yes, Yes and Yes.  We have all experienced those symptoms while quitting smoking.  The good new is you have landed here and we are all her to help you.  18 days is great.

You are in the early stages.  By now you have the nicotine out of your body. 

I am 64 and I smoked for 42 years.  I am now ten months smoke free.  Quitting has given me so much power and self esteem and I have no wish to return to smoking.  I rarely think of smoking.  This is so doable and you are on the right track. 

From this point forward it is just a matter of retraining your brain.  When you get those craves just take a deep breath and think how great it feels to inhale clean fresh air.  Think about how

you are improving your health and extending your life.  Smoking does nothing for you.

I never thought I could quit but, with the help of the people on this forum, it has been possible.

Read as much as you can on the forum, take the Nope pledge each day and reach out to us when you need help.  There is an SOS section when you feel like smoking and we all jump in to help you through.

I am so glad you found us and hope we can guide you through this journey.

Linda

took the pledge ty

• Like 2

Richard

Another thing that many people find helpful is creating a "ticker".  If you set it up, it will appear at the bottom of all your posts.  It tracks the amount of time you've quit, the money you've saved, and the number of cigarettes you've avoided smoking since you've quit.

If you're interested in doing this just click on the first tab entitled "Ticker" at the top of the page (under the Quit Train logo).  You'll just need to enter some basic info and save.

• Like 3

Hi Richard, congratulations on 18 days quit already. You're doing great! You've been given great advice above so I can't add much more than to say to stick close your first few weeks/months. We recommend taking the One Year Pledge to help you past all the first year triggers. It's pinned to the top of the main board if you want to check it out :)

We have lots of stuff here to keep you busy and your mind off cigs. There's great posts to read and a wonderful socializing section to really help keep your mind occupied. So be sure to check out all our various boards.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard @richard. Which arm hurts more frequently, is it the left arm? Do you also experience mild chest pains from time to time? Any palpitation? If the answers to any or all these questions are a yes, please do see a doctor. Just as smoking can be physically stressful for your body, so can quitting (as your body is trying to adjust to a non-poisonous existence). If any problems persist even after a few weeks, please see a doctor. All the best

Edited by Ankush
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, BKP said:

Richard

Another thing that many people find helpful is creating a "ticker".  If you set it up, it will appear at the bottom of all your posts.  It tracks the amount of time you've quit, the money you've saved, and the number of cigarettes you've avoided smoking since you've quit.

If you're interested in doing this just click on the first tab entitled "Ticker" at the top of the page (under the Quit Train logo).  You'll just need to enter some basic info and save.

thank you will do

2 minutes ago, Ankush said:

Welcome aboard @richard. Which arm hurts more frequently, is it the left arm? Do you also experience mild chest pains from time to time? Any palpitation? If the answers to any or all these questions are a yes, please do see a doctor. Just as smoking can be physically stressful for your body, so can quitting (as your body is trying to adjust to a non-poisonous existence). If any problems persist even after a few weeks, please see a doctor. All the best

actually both they just ache from time to time no chest pain

3 minutes ago, Ankush said:

3 minutes ago, Ankush said:

14 hours ago, BKP said:

Welcome Richard.  You've made a great decision to take back your life and improve your health.  Many people experience negative symptoms the first several weeks (and even months).  All of these annoyances eventually go away and are replaced with positive benefits.  I recall feeling  tired, sleepless, and distracted.  I was also prone to coughing, headaches and irritability.  Those all went away and I'm now healthier than I've been in decades.  So, don't let the irritations trick you into thinking it would be better to just toss your quit and smoke again.  There is a huge pot at the end of the rainbow.....you just might stub your toe a few times until you get there.

You're doing amazing....keep it up!  

thanks for the encouragement need it 

Welcome aboard the QT, Richard, and congratulations on the 18 day quit! Excellent advice from all of those above. I will add that lots of deep breathing and drinking cold water helped me over some of the beginning hurdles and playing solitaire on my phone ...a lot!! Read and watch the Joel videos and then do it again to educate yourself about this addiction! 

One Day At A Time! 😎

On 6/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, jillar said:

Hi Richard, congratulations on 18 days quit already. You're doing great! You've been given great advice above so I can't add much more than to say to stick close your first few weeks/months. We recommend taking the One Year Pledge to help you past all the first year triggers. It's pinned to the top of the main board if you want to check it out :)

We have lots of stuff here to keep you busy and your mind off cigs. There's great posts to read and a wonderful socializing section to really help keep your mind occupied. So be sure to check out all our various boards.

thank you

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Richard.  Good call giving up the cigarettes.

On 6/7/2019 at 2:27 PM, richard said:

God i hate this. Blood pressure goes up and down,nothing dangerous though. Arms ache from time to time,and very foggy .Although the foggy isnt as bad as it used to be. Anyone else feel like this

It takes a little time for the body to adjust to not being pumped full of toxins and carcinogens all day.  That combined with the fact that when we quit we are reversing years and years of conditioning.  I think we all felt a bit wonky during those early days of the quit.

Worth every bit of it though.  Those moments of discomfort early in the quit pass and when you settle into your new life as a nonsmoker, you will feel better than you have in years.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:27 PM, richard said:

Hi i am 67 and smoke free for 18 days now. Some days very bad and some just bad lol. Had a good day the other day,thought i was turning corner. Nope just  a little step forward. God i hate this. Blood pressure goes up and down,nothing dangerous though. Arms ache from time to time,and very foggy .Although the foggy isnt as bad as it used to be. Anyone else feel like this

Nice to meet you Richard and good luck on your quit journey x

• Like 1

thank you

15 hours ago, Boo said:

Welcome aboard Richard.  Good call giving up the cigarettes.

It takes a little time for the body to adjust to not being pumped full of toxins and carcinogens all day.  That combined with the fact that when we quit we are reversing years and years of conditioning.  I think we all felt a bit wonky during those early days of the quit.

Worth every bit of it though.  Those moments of discomfort early in the quit pass and when you settle into your new life as a nonsmoker, you will feel better than you have in years.

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

thanks will do cant wait. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...