Lesser known medical problems from smoking

Martian5

We all know the more known problems from years of smoking (Cancer, COPD, Heart problems and such) but their are some problems that are lesser known.

Today I am going to the dentist to start fixing my mouth.  Most of the problems are tied in with my smoking over those many years, something I really did not think about. For the past year it has been very difficult for me to eat and also a lot of pain. Now I have been dealing with COPD (at this point stage 1 and has done much better since quitting and not really advancing at this point) but now I have to deal with all these upcoming dental appointments to include 3 different appointments for oral surgery (first this morning) then several appointments to replace several missing teeth.  I do not enjoy going to the dentist but most of all I do not enjoy what this will be doing to my wallet.  At this point it is going to be close to $20,000.00  (there goes all the money I have been saving from my quitting).  The main point here is not sympathy for me but to let others know to include those that are lurking and have yet to make the choice to quit is that you really need to understand everything that smoking cigarettes can do to you.  It all sneaks up on you and will cost you both to health and to your wallet.  I have done this to myself and I must take accountability for my actions but hopefully others will see this and do some serious thinking!!!!!!!

Quit now so that you can live a better life in so many ways!!!!!

Sorry about the long post but I get really anxious about going to the dentist, oh alright -- scared, and it is about an hour before I can take the sedative -- anyway good day to all.

Edited by Martian5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Yeah - oral surgery sucks for sure (and is costly)! It's not the actual surgery so much as the aftermath healing.  At least now you will heal faster and it will be worth the $$ you put into it because you are no longer creating the problems that got you to this point so that's one good thing.

Another disease closely related to smoking that isn't in the forefront much is Buerger's disease:

"Virtually everyone diagnosed with Buerger's disease smokes cigarettes or uses other forms of tobacco, such as chewing tobacco. Quitting all forms of tobacco is the only way to stop Buerger's disease. For those who don't quit, amputation of all or part of a limb is sometimes necessary."

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I feel your pain Martian.  I posted a very similar dental nightmare earlier this year.  Smoking destroys in so many ways.  I ended up having complete implants at just under $50K out-of-pocket.  😫  Good luck on your process.

• Thanks 1

I also posted a dental nightmare.  I had put $27,000.00 into my mouth previously and now all my implants have failed and I am looking at $10,000.00 more dental work. I have gotten a number of opinions and the consensus was not good.  Between smoking and osteoporosis I have had so much bone loss, they may not be able to replace my implants.  I also will not have enough bone to hold false teeth on the bottom.  The periodontist is going to do my surgery next week and says he will only be able to tell, at that time. if any implants can be put in.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks all, back from the dentist now and bit sore (at least I have meds for the pain).  5 more appointments and two will be more oral surgery  -- take one bridge out and removal of some more teeth, then the dental implant surgery when the healing is done.  At least I am getting it taken care of, though it will cost money at least the money I am saving from quitting is going to able to pay a good deal of that

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martian5 said:

Thanks all, back from the dentist now and bit sore (at least I have meds for the pain).  5 more appointments and two will be more oral surgery  -- take one bridge out and removal of some more teeth, then the dental implant surgery when the healing is done.  At least I am getting it taken care of, though it will cost money at least the money I am saving from quitting is going to able to pay a good deal of that

Glad to hear all went well.  The periodontists don't want to put you to sleep to do the work and it is not easy to sit through.  

I tell my husband all my diamonds are in my mouth.  Somehow it might not sit as well to say that to your wife. lol

38 minutes ago, Martian5 said:

Glad you are ok x x

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Martian5 said:

Today I am going to the dentist to start fixing my mouth. 

Sarge got the ol' "has anyone talked to you about <ominous pause> ... Periodontal Disease ... yet ...???" from the dentist one day. 
For years they tracked the receding of the gums. 
Deep cleaning / planing (horrible procedure)
Imminent surgery forthcoming ... the one where they slice your gums back, peel 'em away from the teeth so they can clean the roots ... 

And then Sarge quit smokin. 

Within a year and a half, all signs of active gum disease disappeared. 

Receded gums will never regenerate. 
Bone loss is permanent. 
But no sign of disease and no progression in the better part of a decade since quitting. 

You can stop gum disease in its tracks if you quit, folks. 
Sarge is living proof. 

EZPZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3