Introduction

Good evening,

I just put out my last cigarette. I am looking forward to having a supportive community to aide in my journey of healing from this terrible drug addiction. I smoked a pack a day, and am looking forward to finally ridding myself of this nicodemon. I believe in myself and am excited for the challenge. What I am most looking forward to is healing my mind body and spirit from what I consider a 10 year nightmare. I am embarrassed I got hooked but the only way to heal is to forgive myself and choose better for my future. I am determined and ready. I know it will be challenging but I am worth it and I am quitting for myself first and foremost. Very excited to experience a life nicotine free, it has been so long that I don't know how that looks or feels. Thank you in advance for any supportive words and encouragment.

• Like 9

Welcome aboard freeatlast and newest member of the 2019 Ashkickers, congratulations on deciding to take back your life :) There's a train full of support here so be sure to stick close especially in the first few months of your quit. There's lots to do here to not only help educate you on this addiction but also help keep your mind occupied and off the craving so be sure to check out all our various forums.

Also we have an SOS board for those who feel they may cave to a crave. We ask that you give us a chance to help you past it by posting an SOS. I've seen it work many, many a time and used it myself in my early days.

Edited by jillar
  • Like 6

Here's the logo if you want to put it in your signature :)

ashkickers resized 2.jpg

We also have tickers that you can make that will show you how much time, money saved and cigarettes not smoked you've saved since you quit. Super motivating :)

• Like 4

Hey there Freeatlast,

Your name gives an inkling to precisely how you must be feeling right :)

You've taken a courageous step, and shown yourself some long overdue love.

My advice is pretty much along the lines of what @jillar mentioned, educate yourself, know thine enemy, learn to understand your triggers and try to stay away (I know it's tough) from stressful situations. Read, read, read.

And yes, shout out whenever you need help, you'll be surprised at how many of us are cheering you on. We may not be with you physically, but we're with you in spirit. 

Just remember, take it one crave at a time and yes, reward yourself for the milestones just to recognize how awesomely dedicated you are.

Best of luck.

• Like 5

Welcome to Quit Train freeatlast!

You will find all the support you will want or need here. Sound like you have a great attitude at the start of your quit. Yes it's tough but that's the price we all must pay to rid ourselves of the Nicodemon. Life on the other side is much, much better in more ways than you can realize until you turn your back on this nasty addiction. Read all you can here and watch the Joel videos. Education is one of your greatest tools in fighting this addiction. Stay close to the site. It will help you :) 

• Like 5

Welcome aboard freeatlast, this is a journey that will change your life (and from what you say this is what you want).  It can be tough but, as said above, there are ways to help you on this journey.  Educate yourself, come here often to read and post, and try doing the daily NOPE pledge -- it may seem corny but it really helped me!!!!!

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Free.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

15 hours ago, freeatlast said:

Thank you in advance for any supportive words and encouragment.

I'm always encouraged by simplicity.  And the good news is this: quitting smoking could not be any simpler than it is.  You don't have to do anything.  Just don't smoke.

Simple as can be yet a process that will change your life for the better.  There is nothing not to like about that.

• Like 4

Hi freeatlast!  So glad you have made the choice to quit.  Many of us smoked for way more years than you.  Do not be embarrassed.  The addiction robs us of our reasoning.  As you travel your journey to freedom, you will feel so empowered and your self esteem will grow.  It truly is just a short bumpy ride for about a week, until you are nicotine free.  The rest of the process is just redirecting your brain.

Just shout out if you need us.  We all have been where you are at.

• Like 4

Re-scheduling quit day for this Saturday, I want to have Day 1 and Day 2 under my belt before returning to work. I can relax, watch shows, and rest up for the first 48 hours. Work proved to be too stressful for Day 1 quit.

• Like 1

Thanks for checking in freeatlast. I have to tell you that you have to really want to quit in order to succeed. Especially the first month or six. But you want it bad enough and no amount of stress will stop you.

When you do go back on Monday, maybe tell your coworkers that you have quit smoking so maybe they'll cut you some slack and forgive you if you're not as pleasant as you normally are lol.

Stick close, post an SOS if you feel yourself caving and we'll support you as much as you need or want. You can do this! :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 4

freeatlast, you will have a few days of discomfort.  They are all doable.  We will be here, so be sure and keep us informed on how you are doing.  Hopefully we can guide you through!

• Like 3

@freeatlast if I used to quit while working I would say I can't do this - it's just too stressful at work. If I used to quit while not working I'd say I can't do this as all I want to do is lie in bed so I don't smoke and then I'm too bored. 

You could have those two days and then on Wednesday be saying i'm restarting my quit as I had a big row with my friend last night and I'm too early in my quit to cope with that stress. 

You must do what is comfortable for you but just keep in mind the smoker in you will always be looking for that "excuse.". 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, freeatlast said:

Re-scheduling quit day for this Saturday, I want to have Day 1 and Day 2 under my belt before returning to work. I can relax, watch shows, and rest up for the first 48 hours. Work proved to be too stressful for Day 1 quit.

Good plan. I quit on a Sunday morning and then took Monday and Tuesday off work for the same reason. I went in Wed. and within a hour my head was spinning and stress level was pretty bad but you know what? I got through it because I was determined not to let anything get in my way. I faked it until I made it. It took awhile but it wasn't as bad as smoking was making me feel. You will find a way to deal with it. Come here as often as you can to rant or ask for help - no shame in asking for help. We've all been there. Use ALL the tools in your quit smoking tool kit. Quitting is a big deal so make it priority #1 during the early days.

• Like 2