Im back, I ve been visiting the forum for the last 2 months

Hey guys. Its juan. 

I wanna be honest even though i am ashamed i could not quit smoking. That is why i left the forum. I want to quit again. But about my personal life you should know a few details that iam ashamed.

Thank to god i dont have money problems. I have a rent from my apartment but i live in my mothers house. Unemployed and with a lot of free time. I had a depression very strong last year and im seeing a doctor for this. 

The thing is i smoke to kill time. I really want to quit but the free time its killing me. I just wanted to be honest. I really had a rough time with mayor treatment resistent depression so its not like i dont want to study or work. I could not get out of bed

im 32. Used to be a rugby player.

I started the gym 2 weeks ago.

sorry for the bad spelling. I have not writen in english for a few years. thank you all. The problem is lots of free time. And depression

• Like 3

Welcome back Juan, glad you've been visiting again. Have you picked a new quit date because you can quit smoking. We're all proof of that. Many of us have dealt with anxiety and depression and found that although it may worsen in the beginning, it actually gets better by quitting and staying quit.

Working out is a great way to relieve some of your boredom. There's also volunteering you can do. 

I wish I had of been smart enough to quit at your age instead of waiting until my health made me have to quit. Stick close to the board. Post an SOS if you feel yourself caving to a crave and give us a chance to help you past it. You owe it to yourself. You can do it :)

• Like 4

Hello Juan . Welcome back .

I like your post because we have lots of things in common .

I have depression too .

I used to smoke to kill time too .

But i threw it away because of health related concerns .

I still feel like smoking  not because of the cravings but because i don't have anything else interesting to do .

And all the interesting things in the world requires a lot of money , which i don't have too much either .

I am going through a time of recession , There will be a time of recovery and expansion too , Lol

Anyway Everyone has depression because of too much boredom i guess .

Try to find some activities you might find interesting to kill that boredom .

xHealth-Reach-89-1200x1700.jpg.pagespeed

• Like 4

Welcome back Juan.

I'm a bit confused. Have you quit or are you saying you can't quit because of boredom?

Depression and boredom are two very different things. People get fed up because they are bored but it doesn't cause depression. I think you need to separate these two things or you will continue to use this as a reason to relapse. 

• Like 5

Welcome back, Juan. 

Free time was a tough thing for me too when I was trying to quit smoking.  Finding other ways to occupy your time helps, like what Jill said with working out or volunteering.  Keeping yourself occupied really helps.  Spend time on this board.  There are lots of things to do other than smoking.

I hope you stick around and succeed in your quit.  A smoke-free life is a great thing.

• Like 3

Juan, be aware that the tricky voice of addiction will take any minor annoyance and blow it up into a major catastrophe which you can use as an excuse not to stick with your quit.  I'm not saying that boredom isn't irritating for you.  But if you were really busy and stressed out, would you be using that as a reason not to quit?  What I'm getting at is, there are always curveballs in life.  There will never be a "perfect" time to quit and there will always be something you can use as an excuse not to even bother.

Sure hope you can get your mind to that place where it needs to be so you can enjoy the benefits of a life free from smoking.  It's worth the effort.

• Like 4

Welcome back Juan, glad to see that you came back (also thank you for being honest -- that can be hard at times).  Depression can be crippling but it sounds like you are aware and taking steps to overcome.  Also too much time on your hands (song title there) can be a problem.  When I quit I was a year into my retirement and was very concerned about all that time and how it would impact my quit, I used it to my advantage and spend a lot of time here on the forum (still do) and that helped pass the time and the craves, it also helps you set a goal.  Either way you can do this so hopefully you will stick around and set that new quit date in the very near future!!!!

• Like 2

Hi Juan.  I am so glad you have come back.  It is so great you can be honest with us because then we know how to guide you.  I also deal with anxiety and depression.  Depression can make you feel very isolated and alone.  Well you are not that anymore.  You have all of us here wanting to help lift you up and guide you to freedom from your addiction.  You will be amazed how quitting gives you power and a huge boost in your self esteem. Smoking just plays into our feelings of  low self esteem. 

Let's get this quit going.  Hang around and play some games.  Start pledging the Nope pledge.  Share with us your feelings.  There is a wonderful group here that wants to help you.

• Like 1

Welcome back, Juan...smoking to kill time is a bad idea, use time to kill smoking. Going back to the gym is a good thing. Since you like Rugby, maybe you could get in touch with some people who like to play Rugby. Depression and Boredom are two different things. Boredom is when you have nothing to do and Depression is you have no will to do anything because of some past traumatic experience or because of a really messed up situation. One could also be depressed because he/she is bored. Sometimes the line between the two can be blurred, but its important to keep the two separate. Think of some more things you like to do and work toward it. Its a very good thing you have rental income, at least dependency (if any) on family for money can be done away with. Maybe, try investing a part of that rental income. If you're on medication to treat your depression, it would be advisable to make an informed decision about the medication as such medication can cause side effects that may hinder your physical well-being. Check on the internet at authentic websites about the side effects (and if its FDA approved) and talk to your doctor if anything about the medication concerns you. Hopefully the doctor will not treat you poorly when you confront him/her about the lousy medication, if at all it is lousy, that is prescribed.

• Like 1

Hello Juan. I just wanted to welcome you and ask if you have already quit again or are you still planning your quit. The good people here will give you all the support you need to quit once you take that first step. Hope you stick around on Quit Train because support from other quitters does make a difference. An there is no shame in having a relapse. Use it as a stepping stone to a successful quit :) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...