• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, mightyboosh said:

I've just mixed up a concoction comprising of:

Cottage cheese

Tuna

shredded cabbage

chopped up carrots

A bit of mayonnaise

My sister told me about it but I haven't tried it yet.

Well, it was really crunchy and tasty. It's in my culinary repertoire now.

• Like 1

We cook this very simple but delicious mixture. It's at any ratio you like but I say in thirds of volume.

Tin of chopped tomatoes.

Grated strong cheddar or you're favourite one.

Diced onion. 

Just simmer away until the onions are to your liking, crunchy or gone soft. You can cook some onions before and add to mixture. It only takes a few minutes to melt the cheese and heat the toms.

Dip a crusty loaf in it and enjoy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Your omelette looks yummy Weegie! I haven't had Stornoway black pudding, but my imagination tells me it would be pretty good.

I get carried away loading mine up with stuff too Phil.

Edited by Joe7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, mightyboosh said:

Interesting. I may have an omelette tonight. I chuck loads of stuff in them so there's hardly room for the eggs.

I did have an omelette, comprising of:

The contents of a fresh carton of Chinese stir fry veg from Aldi. There was all sorts of stuff in that.

Some pre - grated broccoli also from Aldi. It's really small pieces, each about the size of a grain of rice.

Onions.

Tomatoes.

Chicken.

Oh, and five eggs.

It was so big, I couldn't flip it properly so it was a bit mushed up, but delicious.

I told you I put a lot of stuff in them!

• Like 4

This page is making me hungry.  Jo, that looks so fabulous and maybe simple enough for an amateur?  I would love to know your sauce recipe.  Also,  do you make your own gnocchi?  Just curious because it looks so good, but I won't pretend there's a chance that's happening here.

• Like 2

That meal does look good Jo. I wouldn't have known what I was looking at except that my wife made a chicken gnocchi soup last week. It was a first for me so she had to explain what I was eating. It tasted so good that looking at your picture above brought back all those flavors to me.

• Like 3

Sauce Recipe (sorta...I just chuck everything together so measurements are not accurate):

Skinless chicken thighs (or breasts...i just think the thighs have more flavour) cut into chunks (about 1kg makes enough 3 large serves and 2 left over meals to freeze for Ron)

500g sliced mushrooms

1 onion, chopped (or 2 tablespoons onion powder cos forgot to buy onions)

2-3 cloves of crushed garlic (or 3 teaspoons from the jar).

2 teaspoons chicken stock powder

1-2 tablespoons Italian mixed herbs (oregano, basil, marjoram ..not sure what else is in there)

6 short cut bacon rashers cut into pieces (Aussie bacon is like Canadian bacon..sorta...defo not like American bacon....I only added bacon because the kid thinks if there is no bacon she can't eat it)

2 tablespoons plain flour (all purpose flour)

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Water

So in a deep frypan or wok...

Clarify onion 

Cook off garlic 

Render bacon

Add herbs and chicken

Once outside of chicken is cooked, add mushies and stock powder then cover with water (about 3 cups)

Simmer until chicken cooked through and liquid reduced about 1/2.

Strain off AND KEEP liquid and put solids aside.

Put liquid back in pan, add flour and whisk to thicken sauce. If too thick, you can add milk or water or white wine  whisking to the viscosity you want. If ya using spinach add it hear...I add a box of the frozen stuff.

Cook ya pasta or gnocchi (yes I make my own..have a few recipies I use , but sometimes I buy it too but only the one from the fridge section not the long life one off the shelf, cos it's yuck).

Mix pasta with chicken an mushy mix...stir through liquid sauce...serve with fresh parmesan, cracked black pepper. I like to sprinkle on some fresh basil and nutmeg and my housemate adds chili flakes.

It's pretty basic so good for a work night. Freezes well.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much, Jo! I'll definitely give it a go when I recover from the last three days of eating crispy baked chicken thighs (the easiest possible recipe where the "crispy" comes from paprika mixed with other spices) and am ready to face a chicken again.  I'll post a picture if I'm even mildly successful. 

• Haha 2