What's For Dinner?

Reciprocity

27 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

Don't you have Costco Wholesale in Canada?  We buy a smaller leg there.  My husband cuts it down and he makes shish ka bob with it on the grill.  We also buy the rack of lamb and cut them into small chops for on the grill.  

Reci, you and my hubby would make great grilling partners.  He is retiring soon and we will have to visit your neck of the woods when we start our RV travels.  I definitely could not eat bear!

Yes we have a Costco nearby. Never thought of that for the lamb but it's probably a good place to have a look see. Have had some really good meat from Costco but was turned off when I bought their Kirkland frozen burgers, They were laced with bits of bone. Never bought them again. Mostly though. their meat is very good quality. And Yes, let ,me know if you're coming to the Niagara area. We can get together for sure - summer is best of course - lol And OMG - Rack of Lamb ....... love it!! My go to decadent meal 😍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

OMG....defo, dry sherry or medium...sweety sherry not be the way to go...I am frickin doing this.

G’day 

Cover you shanks in vegemite and wrap in plastic wrap overnight. 

Chop up an onion carrot and celery and soften in a pan. Add to slow cooker. Add your lamb shanks, a can of crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup dry sherry and water to cover. Cook on low for the day. Remove shanks and use a stick blender to turn the cooking liquid into your gravy. Sorry for the lack of definite measurements it’s not that sorta recipes. You’ll make it your own I’m sure.

Enjoy  

• Thanks 1

Lamb shanks covered in Vegemite, gladwrapped and in the fridge. Onion and celery to be chopped tomorrow morning....sherry sitting on the bench ready to rock n roll with the can of crushed martos. Vegemite loving German Shepherd very confused as to just what is going on.

• Like 4

The Vegemite treatment was better on lamb than beef, although could have been the cut. Still yum.

Did curry cauliflower and cashew nut soup last night for the quick easy option. Stuffed zucchini tonight. Just prepping them now. Thinking I might do french onion lamb chops on thursdee. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

french onion lamb chops

Wow those sound fabulous.  I still can't wrap my brain around the idea of Vegemite.  

Lamb is really expensive in the states.  How is it in your area?

3 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

Lamb is really expensive in the states.  How is it in your area?

Depending on the cut it's always been in the budget. It's probably the dearest meat, besides goat, but it's not crazy expensive...it's a bit exy at the moment because of the big 3, drought, low Aussie dollar and increased export demands BUT I can still do a leg raise for about $40 (so under $30 US) and it gives me 2 meals, roast dinner for 4, and a big family size meat pie.

Soup Chops are easy and use a cheap cut...so you get some forequarter chips, some cheap packet french onion soup (yep the powder stuff) so piece of tinfoil sprinkle some soup put a chop or 2 sprinkle more soup, wrap it up in the tinfoil like a little parcel. Only do 1-2 chops per parcel...then cook in the oven for about an hour on 180c (360f)....the fat from the lamb mixes with the powder soup and makes your gravy, then just turn out of the tinfoil and serve with whatever veg you want to serve. The meat melts.

I live in an area noted for fruit and wine production and around this time of year we are inundated with the land's sweet bounty. Fresh picked no more then a day or two and onto our tables. It becomes difficult at times to figure out how to consume it all.

Tonight's dessert - BBQ fresh picked peaches 😍

Introducing, "The Peach"

DSCF1117.JPG.1a41ecf58d4c976af2540cabe3faebf1.JPG

Half and pit the peach.

DSCF1121.JPG.db0194bea1b17437689a7498c945c0ac.JPG

Brush with Grapeseed oil or melted, unsalted butter then onto a medium hot grill, sliced side down for 5-7 mins. depending on firmness of the peach you started out with.

DSCF1126.JPG.fe20aeb72e5ad9a2fbf9db5e59e4f047.JPG

Turn over after sliced side has grill marks and lightly sprinkle with a mix of brown sugar and cinnamon.

Grill for another 5 mins or so until sugar/cinnamon has caramelized.

DSCF1129.JPG.2eb2a73ad3a246d8412ce8351df61786.JPG

Top with vanilla ice cream or low-fat yogurt as you prefer.

DSCF1130.JPG.a2583db19f387b6577756f07d4ebe6b2.JPG

DIG IN! Soooo yummy 😍

DSCF1131.JPG.e98d46f9a4210b52246ec3db3b0f8cb3.JPG

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

My room mate is fixing a meat loaf. 80/20 hamburger with sage sausage.

Mashed potatoes made with yellow potatos. corn on the cob. And for dessert, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, the second best ice cream on the planet (first best is Baskin Robbins, but harder to find).

Now this meal vs us two, it will not even be a battle, it will simply be a massacre.

If you were to tell me, "Go to this or that restaurant, they have awesome meat loaf". Without even trying it, I would say, "Not as good as what my room mate makes".

I am going to be hurting after dinner.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, reciprocity said:

I live in an area noted for fruit and wine production and around this time of year we are inundated with the land's sweet bounty. Fresh picked no more then a day or two and onto our tables. It becomes difficult at times to figure out how to consume it all.

Tonight's dessert - BBQ fresh picked peaches 😍

Introducing, "The Peach"

DSCF1117.JPG.1a41ecf58d4c976af2540cabe3faebf1.JPG

Half and pit the peach.

DSCF1121.JPG.db0194bea1b17437689a7498c945c0ac.JPG

Brush with Grapeseed oil or melted, unsalted butter then onto a medium hot grill, sliced side down for 5-7 mins. depending on firmness of the peach you started out with.

DSCF1126.JPG.fe20aeb72e5ad9a2fbf9db5e59e4f047.JPG

Turn over after sliced side has grill marks and lightly sprinkle with a mix of brown sugar and cinnamon.

Grill for another 5 mins or so until sugar/cinnamon has caramelized.

DSCF1129.JPG.2eb2a73ad3a246d8412ce8351df61786.JPG

Top with vanilla ice cream or low-fat yogurt as you prefer.

DSCF1130.JPG.a2583db19f387b6577756f07d4ebe6b2.JPG

DIG IN! Soooo yummy 😍

DSCF1131.JPG.e98d46f9a4210b52246ec3db3b0f8cb3.JPG

Oh !!!!...look at these beauties !!!!.....they look delicious......

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

G’day 

Glass Potatoe

This reciepe is low on ingredients but makes a knockout spud!

Peel and cook your spuds whole. Drain and let cool.

pre heat your oven too 230 C 450 F (yes that hot)

Pour some EVA in a baking dish bout a coupla mm deep.

Arrange spuds in the baking dish squashing each one down with the heel of your hand. Forgot, you can add salt to suit.

sprinkle more EVA over the top and put your dish in the oven

After 10 mins drop the oven temp too 200C or 390 F then leave for an hour.

Timings not critical and it pays to peak.

If you get to an hour and the rest of your meal isn’t ready cause you have got stuck into the cooking wine/ held up by the tongue etc you can drop the temp to 150C and it will keep in the oven for another 1/2 hour. 

6A0C204D-3067-4723-ACA5-1B39FAFE75D7.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh wow. @reciprocity  That looks SO good.  Perfectly pink !  Will you make a stock from the bones ?

I covet those bones.

I am still testing my new cooker, pressure, rice, yoghurt, egg, slow cooker.

It is the best tool I have had in a v. long time.

Friends came over unexpectedly with Vino Verde so, I fed them

White Beans.a la pressure cooker. 

I was planning on these for me, for the week.

Bay, Onion and dried cayenne from last years garden and White beans (soaked overnight).

OMG  SO creamy and excellent.

after they were cooked I threw in a big handful of fresh dill (tied w/ string) and a little salt.

Forbidden Rice.

New cooker,  perfectly cooked rice.

Never had Forbidden Rice before.

It is black, very nutty and packed with super nutrition.

Nutrition Facts per serving.  Look at the protein, amazing !

There are lots of antioxidants as well on their profile.

I am really impressed with this and it is really, really tasty.

Protein  9.5g  Carbohydrates 72.41g

Sugar 0.68g Fat 2.35g

Saturated Fat 0.476g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.836g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.85g

Cholesterol 0mg,  Fibre 2.8g,   Sodium 12mg,   Potassium 186mg

Roasted Red Peppers

I roasted red peppers on the stove while guests gathered.

Sliced peppers up with a slash of homemade red wine vinegar

(ask me about this magic ! )

and a smashed garlic clove.

Tofu Slabs.

Melt down a few shallots in Olive Oil,

turn up heat, add sliced inch slabs of Tofu, 

brown on one side flip. 

HOT pan,

Shake out some soy sauce,

shake out some red wine vinegar (ask me )

scrape the bottom

remove from heat, scrape into serving bowl, sprinkle liberally with nutritional yeast.

Got Vanilla/white chocolate Ice Cream from the corner store, it has a crust of white chocolate on top

and put on some frozen Calamondin mush.

I had put this to freeze last winter when a friend gave me a few bags of fruit.

• Like 5

my husband and I LOVE to cook together! We both work very long hours and dinner usually doesn't get done until 9-9:30 but dangit - we do it! lol 

our kids are teenagers (16 & 19) so it's not like they can't make some ramen to tie themselves over for a while, or cereal, whatever. 

but tonight was a weekend so we had Taco Bell, shhhhh ;) it was a bad treat for us all! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1