What's For Dinner?

Reciprocity

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of chicken ....... the wife took off today to go see he sister and told me to order pizza or whatever. Didn't feel like take-out so decided to cook me some chicken thighs on the BBQ.

First of all was the brine to soak the raw chicken thighs in for a few hours before cooking. 1 quart water; 1/4 cup Kosher Salt plus a bunch of spices. May have added a couple shots whiskey too.

v41orc.jpg

After brining the chickens in the fridge for about 4 hours it's time to put some dry rub on them, front & back then into a cooking pan with a stick of melted butter.

30kpmy1.jpg

Turn the BBQ on and get the temp to 300F

w1cqo2.jpg

Close the lid and go have a beer while that chicken simmers in the meted butter and dry rub spices:

2na1rgp.jpg

Check the internal meat temp after about 3/4 hour. It's gotta be 165 degrees at least. 119.6 degrees; not ready yet:

e16dr7.jpg

When they're up to temp. it's time to sauce 'em and caramelize that sweet glaze by cooking direct on the grill for another 5-10 mins.

2uz311x.jpg

Last step is to plate it with some mashed spuds and a little cauliflower with cheese sauce and dig in!

oseicx.jpg

Brining the chicken pieces before cooking makes that meat melt in your mouth tender and simmering in a butter bath with dry rub adds a subtle flavor to the meat that you just can't get with standard BBQ chicken. It's more time consuming than ordering a Pizza for sure but in the end, it was pretty yummy :) 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 Rib, Prime Rib Roast done on the BBQ. 1.5 hours at 325F. Internal temp was 132 before resting - med- rare is the result:

jMchsDL.jpg

Put on the BBQ at 4:30 PM:

kgGBobt.jpg

6:05 PM Internal Temp. 132F:

uIzMZae.jpg

7B200EC.jpg

Roast is resting & so is the chef (with item on the left):

JTGbUku.jpg

Was tasty to say the least :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

I think I just had a foodgasm.... Hooley Dooley that looks grouse as.

Lamb chops and veg for dinner at ours. (Or as the kid says my favourite and I hate you)

I want to do a roast of lamb in my smoker/slow cooker. Been looking into which cut to go with and think it's the shoulder over the leg because there's more fat in the shoulder. Will be juicier in the end. Slow cook it at about 225F to med-rare result. Need to look into what dry rub would be best for lamb and what, if anything, to apply during the cook, which will be probably 2.5-3 hours depending on the size of the roast. 

Right .. @Cbdave wanna wage in here and help Reci slow cook some lamb?..

I'd go for the leg over the shoulder any day... Cos it just tastes better...and brings up lots of happy childhood memories.... So in our house lamb roast (would be the same for slow cooked bbq) is usually rubbed with live oil, rosemary, salt and butter....if me dad's not joining us I also run on some garlic....if I am feeling a bit Greek I'll add some lemon juice to the rub...I just baste every now and then with the pan juices but I use a rosemary sprigs as the brush....if I want to go more middle eastern I'll add some sumac to the rub at the start or some harisa powder. If ya have them chuck a couple of lemon myrtle leaves in pan or not a bay leaf or two won't hurt.

Times and temps sound good, and while I prefer my steak to be mooing I tend like my lamb more medium than rare. I find lamb to be the opposite to roo...roo needs to be cooked rare to stay tender but the rarer lamb is less tender it is.

Wait for Chris to comment though, he knows how to cook his proteins.

Edited by notsmokinjo
Bit concerned autotext substituted rubber for rubbed?
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, reciprocity said:

I want to do a roast of lamb in my smoker/slow cooker.

Just let us know what time to show for dinner.  My husband was raised on lamb and I have learned many ways to cook it since we were married.  You and my husband would get along quite well because he is king of the grill and bbq pit.  

• Like 1

G’day 

My humble opinion go the shoulder for low and slow. More yummy connective tissue that needs that slow heat. Leg of lamb best served a bit pink.

You can’t beat one of the holly trinity..... sage rosemary and thyme and you don’t need the lot together either. One thing I don’t think lamb needs is too much sweetness unless it’s balanced by salt.

For the big money answer my favourite would be a slow cooked lamb shoulder pre brined with thyme and lemon zest  and a small amount of native honey for a least 12 hours then slow dry roasted.

For Jo my other favourite would be vegemite and sherry lamb shanks left on low in the slow cooker all day whilst I’m at work. Deserved to be served with spuds mashed with cream and fresh steamed beans.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Lamb chops, gravy, steamed carrots and beans, boiled baby taytas with some low fat natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of chicken salt...

15637952620502209802710816486841.jpg

Never tried Yogurt on taters but it looks yummy, especially with the chicken salt - never had that either but sounds like it would be nice.

• Like 2

I'm still leaning toward the shoulder just because I have had BBQ leg years ago. It was good but I'd like to see what the shoulder is like. I heard the taste is a little stronger then the leg? I would prefer to see pink in the centre after the meat is rested but, I'm a rare to med-rare meat person. I think the additional fat would be good for keeping it moist during the cook though. @Cbdave idea of brining it is a good one. I don't usually brine my beef cuts but have done with poultry. Not sure whether I will add smoke chips to that cook or not. I find they overpower the flavour of the meat pretty quickly and I don't like that much. Would rather taste the the true flavour of the meat :) 

Lots to consider still. Thanks for the tips peeps :) 

And @Linda Thomas my problem in doing the lamb roast is that it will be a fair size chunk of meat and in my neck of the woods, it's tough to find people who would come to share a roast of lamb no matter what the cut. It seems weird to me because I would eat lamb any day of the week yet you'll get people to come running for the dinner bell if you roast up a cut of meat from a black bear but mention lamb and everyone runs away? Too bad you weren't in the neighbourhood. You and hubby could help us eat it up :) Or; maybe I can feed and left overs we can finish to the black bear? (couldn't pay me to eat bear again - greasy, tough as your shoe and very strong flavour 🤢

Did Chicken wings tonight! Found a new meat shop that sells nice meaty ones. I also made a new finishing/dipping sauce that was super yummy! They were great. I just bough a pound to try them. Not many wings for a full pound but they were quite meaty so that's better ten ending up with mostly skin & bones 😞

S.P.G. rub (Salt/Pepper/Garlic), easy and quick!

9fCEbws.jpg

45 minute cook at about 350F; sauced at 35 minutes & turned once after saucing :) 

mOffCqs.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

my problem in doing the lamb roast is that it will be a fair size chunk of meat and in my neck of the woods, it's tough to find people who would come to share a roast of lamb no matter what the cut.

Don't you have Costco Wholesale in Canada?  We buy a smaller leg there.  My husband cuts it down and he makes shish ka bob with it on the grill.  We also buy the rack of lamb and cut them into small chops for on the grill.  

Reci, you and my hubby would make great grilling partners.  He is retiring soon and we will have to visit your neck of the woods when we start our RV travels.  I definitely could not eat bear!

4 hours ago, Cbdave said:

For Jo my other favourite would be vegemite and sherry lamb shanks left on low in the slow cooker all day whilst I’m at work. Deserved to be served with spuds mashed with cream and fresh steamed beans.....

OMG....defo, dry sherry or medium...sweety sherry not be the way to go...I am frickin doing this.