I'm such a hypocrite!

So yeah, I smoked for 30 years. I never smoked in the house, which meant I was either in the front or back yard smoking. Never really thought about how it was for my neighbors that didn't smoke.

So now here I am, 2+ years quit and I have a neighbor that smokes and I'll be damned if I don't have a conniption every time I smell it. I purposely (and passively aggressively) shut the windows harder than I need to so they're sure to hear it. I sometimes will even say a bit too loudly "GOD! It f***ing stinks out here!" so I know they hear me. Thing is, they're pretty cool neighbors and I really shouldn't be such an ass.

But I am an ass. It angers me to no end that they couldn't care less that they're polluting MY house with smoke from THEIR disgusting habit.

I would never lecture someone about quitting smoking. That's not my business, but man, I'm a big baby when it comes to other people's smoke.

Me, of all people...

I guess the only thing worse than a smoke is an ex-smoker.

That is all

• Like 1

I guess it would have been OK to say something to your neighbors if you had never picked up smoking and even then, it is not your choice (no offense meant) to tell anybody what they can or cannot do with their lives. If they're good neighbors as you say, sit down with them and talk to them directly rather than shutting the windows harder than usual or passing comments.

• Like 1

Ooh lord.

I get that smells can be offensive. Someone who lives in my road has a dog and the dog always insists on saying hello. Sometimes I just want to scream " tell your stinking dog to piss off". I don't have dogs and I don't take kindly to pet owners who think it's ok to allow theirs to come and lick my feet or jump up at me. They lick their @rse and then they use that same tongue to lick strangers yuck!

That is being hypocritical Jim, my next door neighbors smoke too and they b.b.que every weekend so since the wind always blows from the west we can smell the smoke inside our house as well. However, I would never even think about telling them not to smoke or b.b.que in their own yard. I know that they have put up with many a loud night coming from our house with the music blaring and people drinking and talking over the music lol

• Like 2

Here's one, I just got back this week from a week long cruise. I didn't realize or pay attention to just how many people actually smoked before. My spouse still smokes so I went up to the smoking side one afternoon. I couldn't get over the smell that was up there. I found myself feeling like you Jim. I ended up telling her I didn't belong there any longer and left. I left feeling like a snob but I couldn't help it. I pray I never fall because I saw so much self destruction that week ,  and I honestly don't remember noticing that or smelling that much smoke. I actually found myself struggling to breathe at times. I like this so much better, let's never fail.

• Like 2

Last cruise I was on, I only felt sorry for the people who were huddled underneath the stairwell smoking all day long.

Same people, all the time, every day = slavery to addiction 😒 Why not take full advantage of the $$ you have spent to go on a cruise instead of huddling under cover smoking? Just goes to show how powerful this addiction is.

Jan 2019 Caribbean Cruise 015.JPG

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Last cruise I was on, I only felt sorry for the people who were huddled underneath the stairwell smoking all day long.

Same people, all the time, every day = slavery to addiction 😒 Why not take full advantage of the $$ you have spent to go on a cruise instead of huddling under cover smoking? Just goes to show how powerful this addiction is.

Jan 2019 Caribbean Cruise 015.JPG

So is it just that area you outlined or are the people in the lounge chair able to smoke?   What about the people on the upper tier?   Sorry I've never been on a cruise

It seems that on an open air deck, maybe the rear of the ship would be an ideal smoking area.

Edited by Wayne045

5 hours ago, Wayne045 said:

So is it just that area you outlined or are the people in the lounge chair able to smoke?   What about the people on the upper tier?   Sorry I've never been on a cruise

It seems that on an open air deck, maybe the rear of the ship would be an ideal smoking area.

Yes, that Red circled area is the "smoking area" and most of the ships I have been on are the same. I agree that it's strange having them all huddled under cover because it does hold the smoke in there more than if it were completely open. I was on one ship where the smoking area was up on the top deck in a completely open area but most are not. Maybe it's covered so people can still smoke when it rains or maybe so ashes aren't blowing all over the place? 

Frankly, I'm surprised not one cruise line that I'm aware of has banned smoking all together - not one! It's a huge fire issue as you can imagine. You don't want to be floating in the middle of the ocean with a fire breaking out. I'm betting some cruise line will do it sometime soon. It's a very small percentage of people that I see smoking on a cruise so they aren't going to lose too many customers if they ban it outright and a lot of their non smoking customers would applaud them for having a smoke-free cruise :)