What tested your Quit?

Hi!  I've been gone for a month or so.  Living life.  Loathing life.  Loving life.  All that jazz.  During these months of living life and all that jazz,  I lost my job - or rather - it lost me?  Reduction in force.  Workforce reduction.  Position no longer needed.  Blah blah yadda yadda.  I have several months of severance and no job.  

In a haze, I ventured out to the pharmacy to get some headache remedy and some other sundries. 

The check out cashier was pleasant and engaging.  We talked about the weather.  Not the government (note the R.E.M. reference).

I swiped my card.  It was accepted.  I still have funds.  Yay!

I looked past my new friend.  I noticed all the packs of cigarettes.  I saw my enemy; the yellow ones. 

Then, I felt the reality sink in.

After hearing the news my job no longer existed...I did not think about smoking.

I did not think about smoking.  I did not think about NOT smoking.  I did not think about anything having to do with smoking until I saw the packs.

Then, I thought...good thing I don't smoke anymore, that crap is crazy expensive.  And it is one less thing to worry about. 

Then, I thought...holy shit!  I just lost my job and the thought of smoking never crossed my mind until I saw packs of cigs.  

Then, I thought...holy shit! I was not even tempted to buy any!  No internal struggle, nothing, other than relief to not have to worry about it.

Then, I thought...my Lust4Life took a hit but is still shining.

So is yours.

• Like 8

You, my dear, have a wonderful outlook.   I am so sorry that you lost your job and will pray that something better comes along.  

I am at awe in your strength and resolve.  I don't know whether I would not have caved.   You do have a wonderful Lust4Life and I think things will work out better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about your job lust 😞 I'm sure with your positive outlook a new job is soon to come, and it could just end up to be your dream job :)

This post is proof that with time all quitters can feel the same way about smoking as you do, even when they feel like they never will, so thanks for sharing, xoxo

• Like 3

It's a defining moment when you realise you didn't go to the old and outdated "I'm stressed I need to smoke like a chimney" method of 'coping' with stress.

I hope you find a great job soon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about the job loss, L4L...At least you have several months severance...will allow for some breathing space while you start the hunt!

One door closes....another one opens...and may it lead to an even better job for you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Imagine job hunting and trying to mask the stench of stale smoke on your clothing and hair; slugging a capful of mouthwash; trying to scrub the yellow stains off your fingers. 

Not to mention having that nagging feeling in the back of your mind during a job interview of “when the hell is this going to end so I can run outside and have a smoke?”

Without all that BS to worry about, the real,  positive you can shine through. Undoubtedly, she’s the one who gets hired 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey L4L, good that you wrote that down. These are the memorable moments, important part of out quits. It shows how far youve come in cutting ties with addiction. And isnt it absurd how strong reactions to these images are, seeing a pack and instantly wanting one? Good thing is, that effect will diminish over time as well. Than its just a pack of cigarettes, without meaning. 

I whish you the best in dealing with the job loss and the hunt for something new! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm job hunting.  Just FYI to lurkers- some places require a "smobriety" test.  Meaning, they are a 100% tobacco and NICOTINE free company.  Each applicant must consent to a blood test to detect any nicotine in their system.  ANY meaning one must disclose the use of NRT or vaping.  

Easy peasy lemon squezzy from this sour puss. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lust4Life said:

Just FYI to lurkers- some places require a "smobriety" test.  Meaning, they are a 100% tobacco and NICOTINE free company.  Each applicant must consent to a blood test to detect any nicotine in their system.

I am shocked.  I did not realize this was legal in the U.S.

I could see a test for drugs but not smoking.  Smoking is not illegal (though it should be)

It must feel good to have this plus on your job hunting side.

Know that I am praying something comes along soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically the thing that has tested my quit the most isn't me or smoking - it's other people. 

Oh you're using NRT

You haven't really quit as your still using nicotine

How long is this one going to last 

Then there's the "how to quit properly police". If you're not doing it how they think it should be done you're doomed. 

Oh and shops who don't stock marmite crisps. They are my go to crave buster and I get a bit panicked when I can't find them. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Ironically the thing that has tested my quit the most isn't me or smoking - it's other people. 

Oh you're using NRT

You haven't really quit as your still using nicotine

How long is this one going to last 

Then there's the "how to quit properly police". If you're not doing it how they think it should be done you're doomed. 

Oh and shops who don't stock marmite crisps. They are my go to crave buster and I get a bit panicked when I can't find them. 

That's why you stay close to a place like this where everyone DOES get it, what you are going through with your quit whether you are using NRT or not as a method to quit. As long as you follow a plan to use NRT products safely and properly with an aim to reduce and get off altogether then who cares. It's the path that works for YOU.

You're getting into no man's land where most don't want to hear about the struggles you still go through in quitting. Your hopes and your fears about having a successful life long quit. The people here on this forum do though and that's when I believe it's most important that people stick around. Once that shine wears off the brand new quit and it's just down to working what you've learned until you are on solid ground.

We don't stock or sell marmite crisps though - you're on your own with that one :) 

• Like 2

@reciprocity everything you have said made complete sense and helps. 

The forum is a lifeline for me and as you say everyone here understands. I might go and read up on some no man's land stuff later on this afternoon. 

I might get a bag of Smokey Bacon today to honour you :)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lilly said:

@reciprocity everything you have said made complete sense and helps. 

The forum is a lifeline for me and as you say everyone here understands. I might go and read up on some no man's land stuff later on this afternoon. 

I might get a bag of Smokey Bacon today to honour you :)

Here's a link for you on No Man's Land. Click on the link to open.

• Thanks 1