cigarettes vs nicotine gum question

According to this ,

An average smoker inhales 1 to 2 milligrams of of nicotine per cigarette

A nicotine gum is a 4mg gum .

So that mean's eating a nicotine gum is equivalent to 2 cigarettes ?

The-Harmful-Effects-of-Smoking.jpg

I don't want to ingest 2 cigarette worth of nicotine gums every time i have an uncomfortable craving , even though i have been using it only once a week .

I didn't know that eating 1 gum was equivalent to 2 cigarettes .

So i am planning to throw away all the gums i have right now .

• Like 4

Want to know a secret...if I open my purse right now there will be 2 gums in there...just in case...I know I have them but not once since I stopped the gum have I even been tempted to have them. I think you are ready @Redemption3 to get rid of them for good. ... Look how far you have come...you should be super proud of yourself.

• Like 1

Smoking cessation products are more about making companies rich and not so much about helping people quit smoking.

We have heard "I tried gums, patches, etc..."

I do think though more nicotine is absorbed in the mouth than through the lungs. 

It seems to me then like nicotine gum would be more addictive than cigarettes.

I agree I think it is time you get rid the gum, you are doing great now and from what you state you really are not using the gum much now.  Maybe the gum is just a crutch at this time-- time to let it go!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The gum was a very useful tool for me when I quit.  I continued to carry a couple of pieces around with me for several months after I stopped chewing it (chewed it for 2-3 months), just in case I felt like I needed extra assistance in those still early stages of the quit.  In my experience, claims of long-term nicotine gum dependence are wildly exaggerated and ultimately unhelpful to the quitters who choose NRT as part of their recovery.  Also, scientifically speaking, inhaling burning cigarette smoke is a far more efficient delivery method of nicotine (and every other chemical) than chewing the gum.  It's not even close, so a piece of gum is not like two cigarettes.   It's not a bad idea to try to stop chewing entirely, but I wouldn't worry too much about it--you're doing great!

Christian99

Nearing 17 1/2 Years Quit 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Martian5 , Christian99 .

I haven't touched NRT gums since 1/5/2019 .But i am feeling a bit too dull without any of these .

Too bored i guess .

I am not sitting here doing nothing either , I have loads to study too for the next 4 more months , after that my degree course ends too .

So i am tired and excited too .

I am feeling a bit empty without any of these things , other than that i am feeling OK .

Its not cravings , Its just plain boredom

18 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Have you tried regular gum ...if it's just boredom ,this will keep your mouth busy ....

Boo would be proud of that innuendo. oh my gyod... I'm done.