Scared by BP news, but encouraged about staying quit

Kate18

Yesterday had dr appt. Blood pressure was 140/90, up from 120/60 three months ago, up from my normal 112/62.   I felt a knot of fear in my stomach when she told me.

According to the American Stroke Association, that is stage 2 hypertension and in stroke range. (Other organizations have their own ideas of how they define stages.)

Later in the day my 5 year old granddaughter came over. We went to the park and I taught her how to fly a kite.  I thought to myself, "it is unthinkable to keep smoking when it could kill me or cause a stroke, and rob my granddaughter of having her grandmother in her life." 

I don't know why I have such trouble staying quit. It's possible that it's affected by being bipolar and going from elation to despair in cycles. Terrible lack of self-discipline and poor impulse control. I told the psychiatrist who monitors my meds that I want to start meeting with her to learn how to strengthen  impulse control and stop this destructive way of being. I want a productive life, not just existence with smoking-caused diseases as my future.

I'm glad the QT is here, online, and I apologize for the lack of commitment and follow through. Truly, I am trying to get this right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry you are having additional health issues but at least it has kept you aware of your nicotine addiction and the fact that you really need to tackle that to give yourself the best chance for better health in your future. I'm glad you are seeking help from your medical people. I'm sure your bipolar issue adds a significant complication to the quit process. I wish you the very best in getting some direction from your Dr. on that. Quitting really will be a huge step forward to a better future for you.

• Like 6

Hey Kate sorry to hear about this.  Work with your doctor on your BP, they can really help with that.  For years my doctor was trying to get me to quit due to blood work and high BP.  Finally I had a sit down with her and my nurse and they were blunt and realistic -- I took it from there and hear I am now.  I will always have to take BP meds but since I have quit and changed some of my other lifestyles my BP is well controlled and a reduction in meds has happened.  I can relate about your granddaughter, I came to the same realization about my grandson since we are so close.  You have some good reasons for sticking with your quit at this time and as you improve use that as your motivation.  Welcome back and come back often -- you can get it right this time!!!!!

• Like 5

Glad you're back to quitting Kate while your blood pressure is still in an easily manageable place. Hopefully that's the motivation you finally need to conquer this addiction. Stay close and reach out when you feel yourself caving to a crave. You owe that to yourself and who knows maybe these fine people can help you past it and you will save your quit :) 

• Like 5

Thanks to both of you, Martian5 and Reciprocity. I made myself a poster this morning and posted it prominently on my refrigerator. I feel a bit foolish sharing it, but what the heck. 

The "Daily Dozen" at the bottom of the page refers to Dr. Michael Greger's Daily Dozen free app to keep track of his recommended foods each day.

After getting the news about my eyes a few weeks ago (mild cataracts and early-stage glaucoma), and now the rise in blood pressure, I am back to a whole plant foods diet that I began a few months ago. I found Greger while searching around Youtube for videos of Rip Esselstyn and the whole foods diet he promotes. Both Greger's and Esselstyn's stories are interesting, as are the results they say are achieved by ditching animal and processed foods, such as normalizing blood pressure, reversing heart disease, returning to a healthy weight, etc. Both back their recommendations on clinical evidence reported in thousands of articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals. 

We'll see. My blood pressure is too high, I am now 21 lb overweight since changing to a sedentary job last year, and I am in a fight to protect my vision.

Smoking does not solve any of those problems. Never has, never will, and I'll keep drilling that point into my thick skull until it's anchored for good.

High blood pressure april 29 2019.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kate, whishing you all the best from The rainy Netherlands. I admire you for researching your health/food, putting the poster on your fridge (I did the same with a letter, but for a different reason). My mental health is improving and I am really starting to experience a new calm. I believe quitting makes the mess in my head easier to bear, proof is piling up especially for the last couple of weeks. I whish the same for you and I know you can do this, despite everything. I bet you are a strong person.  :)

Hang in there!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear about your blood pressure, Kate, but I am glad you are back at quitting smoking.  Going smoke free should really help your BP and many other aspects of your health.

Stick close and reach out if you need help.  Quitting for good would be the best thing you can possibly do at this point.

• Like 3