Taking my life back

efficacy

Having the right attitude helps ...look at it as a great new adventure... Your not giving up anything ....your gaining freedom...

Knowledge ...will be your weapon ..you outsmart this devil...prepare for your battles....everytime you win a battle ,your nearer to winning the war...

Go back on the board and read old posts ..there is so much good information to be found ....

Buckle in ...enjoy the ride of your life .....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Having the right attitude helps ...look at it as a great new adventure... Your not giving up anything ....your gaining freedom...

Knowledge ...will be your weapon ..you outsmart this devil...prepare for your battles....everytime you win a battle ,your nearer to winning the war...

Go back on the board and read old posts ..there is so much good information to be found ....

Buckle in ...enjoy the ride of your life .....

Yes attitude makes the biggest difference! I know from previous failed quits what trips me up. That's why I joined right after I quit last night....previously I told myself to get through the first 3 days first and we know how that turned out. So, I will use that knowledge instead of beating myself up. I had a 9 day quit beginning of March but let the "just one" to relieve the depression take me over. This time I will reach out to you all. I will reread everything too. 

9 minutes ago, Paul723 said:

the ability to produce a desired or intended result

The definition of efficacy.

You can do this.  A crave can't hurt you and they pass quickly (faster if you learn to dismiss them).  

Yes, Paul723 that's exactly why I chose that screen name! I wanted to remind myself every time I looked at it that this can be done! I did a report on "self-efficacy" in college a few years back on people that have overcome great odds. I can apply that to myself now...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, efficacy said:

I have lost so much self confidence and hid away wondering why I was so weak that I couldn't quit. There have been times I resigned myself to being a life long smoker.  But through your posts and so many others I realize that is just the addiction talking. The missing component as reciprocity said has been the support of you all!

I had tried hypnosis and a smoking cessation clinic, along with the patches and gum.  Nothing worked with me.  The addiction does work on your self esteem.  

Like you, I lurked around the forum for a while.  I still was not sure I was brave enough when I joined.  The people here seem to know exactly what I needed to realize that I had the power to do this.  They could see through my frailties and know exactly how to lift me above them.  As smokers, we become weak to the addiction.  As quitters, we become so much more powerful in every aspect of our lives.  When you finally reach that turning point of how you look at your addiction, you realize it was not that difficult.  It was just your mind letting you think differently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had a 9 day quit beginning of March but let the "just one" to relieve the depression take me over. This time I will reach out to you all. I will reread everything too. 

There is no such thing as .!!!! Just One  !!!!!.....we are addicts ....it has to be Never Take Another Puff .....scream ,yell ,curse,....but never stick anything in your mouth and light it !!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

I had tried hypnosis and a smoking cessation clinic, along with the patches and gum.  Nothing worked with me.  The addiction does work on your self esteem.  

Like you, I lurked around the forum for a while.  I still was not sure I was brave enough when I joined.  The people here seem to know exactly what I needed to realize that I had the power to do this.  They could see through my frailties and know exactly how to lift me above them.  As smokers, we become weak to the addiction.  As quitters, we become so much more powerful in every aspect of our lives.  When you finally reach that turning point of how you look at your addiction, you realize it was not that difficult.  It was just your mind letting you think differently.

I did hypnosis too, both group and individual, acupuncture, chantix twice (scary adverse effects within days), wellbutrin/zyban (discontinued due to side effects). NRT's as well, which for me just made me want to smoke more. I know they work really well for others though. 

I really think the education on what nicotine has done to our brain plus a different mindset makes all the difference along with the support here. I'm hopeful & determined but a little scared as well. I was my own worst enemy in the past.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

I had a 9 day quit beginning of March but let the "just one" to relieve the depression take me over. This time I will reach out to you all. I will reread everything too. 

There is no such thing as .!!!! Just One  !!!!!.....we are addicts ....it has to be Never Take Another Puff .....scream ,yell ,curse,....but never stick anything in your mouth and light it !!!

That "just one" has bit me in the arse more times than I care to admit....one is too many, a thousand is not enough...I'll come here & yell & scream...lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, efficacy said:

I really think the education on what nicotine has done to our brain plus a different mindset makes all the difference along with the support here. I'm hopeful & determined but a little scared as well. I was my own worst enemy in the past.  

Turn that around this time by being your own best friend by doing the best thing you possibly can for your future!

YOU, like all of us, CAN do it too no matter what method you use. Don't be fooled into thinking that some have it easier than others because they use a smoking cessation aid in the beginning. They too have to do ALL thar hard work that those of us who quit cold turkey do at some point. It just breaks it up a little bit more. It's not necessarily an easier road to travel because it can take a little longer using those aids.

You know yourself better than anyone and therefore what might work best for you. Once you have decided how you want to proceed, just stay true to that commitment you have now made to yourself to quit smoking no matter what your addiction throws at you in the early days because we are here to support you through that phase of quitting. Just get on the board here and ask for help or advice. That's why we're here. I think you just might surprise yourself :) 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, reciprocity said:

Turn that around this time by being your own best friend by doing the best thing you possibly can for your future!

YOU, like all of us, CAN do it too no matter what method you use. Don't be fooled into thinking that some have it easier than others because they use a smoking cessation aid in the beginning. They too have to do ALL thar hard work that those of us who quit cold turkey do at some point. It just breaks it up a little bit more. It's not necessarily an easier road to travel because it can take a little longer using those aids.

You know yourself better than anyone and therefore what might work best for you. Once you have decided how you want to proceed, just stay true to that commitment you have now made to yourself to quit smoking no matter what your addiction throws at you in the early days because we are here to support you through that phase of quitting. Just get on the board here and ask for help or advice. That's why we're here. I think you just might surprise yourself :) 

Yes!! I wouldn't treat a friend the way I've been treating myself....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, efficacy said:

Yes!! I wouldn't treat a friend the way I've been treating myself....

And guess what? You, as well as all the rest of us, are worth much more than damaging ourselves by smoking so let's get you quit this time for good :) 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, efficacy said:

I feel like there are two parts to me, the rational, logical one who knows smoking does nothing for me and then the junkie one.

I think it's best to accept the duality of our thinking.

I accepted that my junkie voice was that of a petulant child: impulsive, temperamental, prone to tantrums, and lacking any responsibility.  Meanwhile, my logical voice was the adult in the room: responsible, clear-headed, and on an even keel.  The petulant child didn't go out without a fight, but eventually the logical adult took full control of the situation.

4 hours ago, efficacy said:

I've already watched the Tobacco documentaries here, read EasyWay several times, read tons at the whyquit site and here. 

Knowledge is one of the cornerstones of a rock-solid quit.

You are putting yourself in a perfect position for success.

• Like 6

Stick close to this board.

Though this place is pretty small, the most active members are here quite a bit. Even if it is over the web, you won't have any shortage of company or people to talk with.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Boo said:

I think it's best to accept the duality of our thinking.

I accepted that my junkie voice was that of a petulant child: impulsive, temperamental, prone to tantrums, and lacking any responsibility.  Meanwhile, my logical voice was the adult in the room: responsible, clear-headed, and on an even keel.  The petulant child didn't go out without a fight, but eventually the logical adult took full control of the situation.

Knowledge is one of the cornerstones of a rock-solid quit.

You are putting yourself in a perfect position for success.

You're right Boo about accepting the duality of our thinking. I would get irritated or resist that petulant child in the past which just made things more difficult for me. Today I tolerated the whiny pain in the neck but was the adult. I will stay on guard to ensure the adult stays in charge. Tired, brain fogged all day but will eat dinner soon & go to bed early tonight. 

43 minutes ago, Jet Black said:

Stick close to this board.

Though this place is pretty small, the most active members are here quite a bit. Even if it is over the web, you won't have any shortage of company or people to talk with.

Thanks Jet Black, I've been lurking and although it is quiet at times, I've seen everyone come out in full force for someone in need. 

1 hour ago, efficacy said:

Tired, brain fogged all day but will eat dinner soon & go to bed early tonight. 

And another day down.  That is the way to do it.  I actually slept a lot that first couple of weeks.  You can do this!

• Like 1

Just now, Linda Thomas said:

And another day down.  That is the way to do it.  I actually slept a lot that first couple of weeks.  You can do this!

Thank you! I know these are signs of healing...and I'm such a slug today that hubby is bringing dinner home and then I'm off to bed early. 

• Like 1

Hey efficacy! What you're feeling is perfectly normal. I was like that for a few days at first. Could barley function. I quit on a Sunday morning and had to take 2 days off work just to deal with the beginning part of my quit. I basically laid on the couch for those days and watched DVD's just to pass the time. I remember going back into work on the Wed. and freaking out about some relatively minor issue at work and thinking .... have I returned too soon? Can I deal with this and my quit too? Well, obviously I did but it was a struggle - no question. And time seemed to stand still back in the early days of my quit as well. I remember looking forward to crawling into bed as early as I dared each night because once I was asleep, the constant craving I was feeling would stop.

Ahhh .... the good old days of early quit! Just know it is doable. Nothing you will come up against is insurmountable. Stay positive. Look at the benefits you are already seeing. How much $$ have you saved? You no longer smell of stale cigarette smoke. There's lots of good things already happening. Focus on those and all the other good things to come :) 

• Like 3

You're doing great efficacy, and I did the same thing. which was nothing. I had absolutely no energy. Listen to your body and let it dictate what it needs to start the healing process :) 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, efficacy said:

It's a blustery cold, freezing rain day here, won't make it out of the low 40s, so perfect excuse to lie low again...

Sounds like our Ohio weather.  We may even see snow.  😞

Efficacy, be Queen for a while.  You are doing the hard work right now.  It will all be worth it!

• Like 2

Day 1 again. Frustrated and a little angry with myself. I LET outside stress poke a hole in my isolated bubble of a quit Tuesday evening. I rationalized and justified to myself afterwards why I didn't reach out or post a SOS. I had enough time to contact the neighbor and bum a couple of cigarettes off her so in those few minutes could have posted here. Of course smoking only made the anxiety worse. Doreensfree is so right is her post that a "relapse is serious..." I'm an addict who relapsed & I recognize how serious this is. 

Nosmokinjo said in that same post to answer 3 questions when you fail....1. When will I quit again? Now, already threw out the rest of the cigarettes. 2. What were the triggers? Unexpected stress & addict thinking that believing a cigarette will help. 3. What did I learn? Smoking doesn't help, the stress is still there. I need to "be forever vigilant" as reciprocity says in the same post. I need to expect the unexpected, this is life after all. I also have to reach out and ask for help. You all would have been all over my distress with support like ants at a summer picnic. That's why I joined last week in the first place! I'm sorry I didn't give you that chance.  

OK, I need to fix dinner then will go to bed early tonight so may not be on much tonight. But I will be back by morning at the latest. 

• Like 1

Sorry to read this efficacy but glad you got right back to quitting. The first week is hell, that's why its called hell week. After that is heck week, a little tiny bit easier and then wtf week, when hard craves can show up again. 

I'm telling you this so you know what to expect and can come up with a plan, preferably posting here so we can talk you through it.

Have a good night and try to stick close to us, let's do this! :)

• Like 3

I'm sorry to hear this, efficacy.

I hope you can start your quit again soon.  Quitting smoking can be tough, we all know that.  We are all addicts.  But quitting is definitely something you are capable of doing and the long term benefits outweigh the early struggles.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 3

Oh so sorry to see this. We all or most of us have lost quits. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the train. Yes it is hard, but you can do it. SOS and give us a chance to talk you out of it. It does work. 

• Like 2