Did drivers get worse when you quit smoking?

JB 883

I now know that nicotine and tobacco produce something of a "high". Maybe like a watered-down "stoned" effect one gets from smoking weed.

For me, I was on that tobacco "high" for 15 years. I never really noticed just how bad many drivers were.

Anyways, since quitting 1.5 years ago, I notice a lot of drivers suuuuuck. Everything from aggression, not paying attention, tailgating on the highway, not using headlights when it is dark out, whatever.

Today though, there was a wreck on the highway. This was hours ago yet I am still annoyed. Because of ONE careless needle-prick driver, 100's of peoples' day was thrown off. I was late for work.

You know, I ain't gonna lie. If I were a "Stress smoker", today would have done me in. I feel like jack slapping someone but not too much like smoking. I even told my room mate that if stress were  trigger then I would have picked it back up this day. But no, my trigger to want to light up is excitement. Like if Micheal Bolton released a new album. OK kidding, don't no one listen to that.

So anyways, however long you have been quit for, did you notice drivers started to suck worse at that point?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mona said:

I noticed that drivers got worse once cell phone became popular.  Too many people yapping on the phone and not paying attention.  Didn't notice anything different when I quit smoking.

^^THIS!^^

• Like 1

My life became less stressful when I vowed to not take anything that happens in traffic personally and quit reacting to all the idiocy I see on the roadways every day.

My reaction to stupid drivers now is pretty much limited to me grumbling something along the lines of: "what the....you f***ing idiot."  Then a deep breath and move on.

I used to do the whole "road rage" thing.  It's pointless, dangerous, and a real waste of energy.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Like 1

so get this - I have worked at the same place over seven years. Seldom ever saw anything stupid. But...

Friday someone was in a wreck. Monday there was one, Tuesday there was one and I was 20 minutes late, and today I left early just to account for any BS I might encounter. Surr as a crap diaper stinks, there was a wreck close to my job. In do not work weekends but anyways, so I am wondering how many days in a row, HOPING no one hits MY heap of blue crap.

You know, back in Dec 2015, someone side swiped my car because I was in the turning lane and he was at a red light, he was trying to get to the gas station. Just pulled out right in front of me. Yeah I got a nice insurance check (more than the car was worth)

Pop quiz - GUESS, just GUESS what he was going in to buy while we waited for the police? KTQ kids.

• Sad 1

It's just the way things are today.

I took a long hiatus from riding motorcycles and now that I'm regularly riding again -and I'm hyper-aware of everything- I notice damn near everyone is talking/texting nowadays.

They good news is that you can spot these idiots a mile away, so they're pretty easy to avoid. I don't really like to wish harm on anyone, but I often find myself wishing these selfish douchebags end up in a ditch.

Edited by JimHannoonen
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 4:35 PM, Boo said:

My life became less stressful when I vowed to not take anything that happens in traffic personally and quit reacting to all the idiocy I see on the roadways every day.

My reaction to stupid drivers now is pretty much limited to me grumbling something along the lines of: "what the....you f***ing idiot."  Then a deep breath and move on.

I used to do the whole "road rage" thing.  It's pointless, dangerous, and a real waste of energy.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Since I never smoked in my car, rush hour might be frustrating but never made me want to have a cigarette.   People staring at their phones while driving, just leave me dumbfounded.  In the era before "smart" phones, I once saw a guy with a PDA in one hand, obviously looking up a phone number and inputing the digits on his cell phone in the other hand (which was on the wheel).   That's just an accident waiting to happen.

My commute became less stressful when my job moved out of the city and to an offsite.   Now I'm driving south (at speed) to work, while the rush hour is flowing north, and vice versa for the commute home.   There are drawbacks of course, in the city you had your choice of coffee shops, restaurants shops, post office, DMV etc.   All we got at the offsite is a Subways and a generic cafeteria.  Not even a 7-11.

Edited by Wayne045
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wayne045 said:

My commute became less stressful when my job moved out of the city and to an offsite.

Sounds a lot like my situation.  The company I work for opened a new facility 20 miles north of downtown Chattanooga.  Now my daily commute consists of driving between Dayton, Tennessee and Soddy Daisy, Tennessee.

Traffic jams are not a big part of my life anymore.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lilly said:

Is Soddy Daisy a real place?

Yep.  Just north of Chattanooga.  Nice little community nestled between Mowbray Mountain and the Tennessee River.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1