Another quit attempt

Steveo1

After numerous attempts I have decided this 1 will finally allow me to break with smoking after 40 years. I love hill walking and the smoking is having a limiting influence on my range and speed. Plus I begrudge the money spent on the addiction. I'm also worried that the next decades of life could be spent attached to a machine helping me to breathe. So with some trepidation and hope I'm embarking on a last attempt to slay the addiction. I've got patches and mouth spray but more importantly my kids are behind me. Strange thing is I'm smoking more on the run up to my quit. Up from 30 per day to 50 plus! Thanks for reading this.

• Like 10

Glad you are giving quitting another go, never give up! You will definately enjoy your hill climbing more, once you have quit, and your lungs start to heal.

I was the same walking up hills, its so much better now, and breathing becomes easier.

You will come to love your new life.

All the best, and post on here lots, it really helps in the early days. Good that your kids are with you on this too.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard 

Good for you ..never give up giving up...

Read all you can here...watch all joels video,s...they will cover most of your concerns in your early quit ...

We have a few walkers/ runners/  climbers here...so you should feel at home ...

We have a daily NOPE thread ...this is a great way to start each day ...we quit one day at a time .....

You can do it ..

You are wise my friend for fearing going on a oxygen tank...my hubby spends alot of time hooked up to a machine ...

• Like 4

Welcome aboard steveo, there's lots of members, me included, who were long term smokers so if we can do it so can you :) Use us however you need to to support you along the way. Post an SOS if you feel yourself caving to a crave and let us help you through it. 

Reading posts, supporting others, celebrating achievements and socializing really helped me keep my mind off my misery so take a look around at the various boards :)

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Steveo, glad to have you along on this journey.  There is much here to learn and help you dive in to find out more.  Also remember to go to the "NOPE Pledge" page each day, it really does help!!!

• Like 3

When is your quit day?

50 plus 😮😮😮 Increasing your intake just before you quit is going to make it harder. Jillar advises to stop smoking in your regular places before you quit to help you so maybe try that. 

You'll love it here and get lots of encouragement so welcome to this lovely forum 😀

• Like 2

Quit day is 04/04. I have cut down, I was on 40 plus a day. Part of the reason. Is my teeth! I've had a lot of problems dental wise. Then the dentist said he likes smokers as the damage caused to teeth keeps him employed. Was news to me but it seems it's true. I don't know why I never thought of it. Anyhow thanks for the support. It will help. I've decided not to wait but to start my quit tomorrow. Why wait?

• Like 6

Oh wow - bringing your quit date forward is wonderful news. Another member has just done that and they are doing great. 

Keep thinking of those lovely teeth of yours and protect them while you can 😀

Edited by Lilly
  • Like 3

Welcome to QuitTrain, Steveo!  Quitting smoking is a truly great thing to do.

Keep close to this site.  There is plenty of support and knowledge you can gain here to help you quit smoking for good.

• Like 3

Welcome, Steveo! I can tell you that the ability to breathe freely is one of the greatest gifts we have. We have to never take it for granted. I suffer from the rare autoimmune disease systemic scleroderma, and it attacks my lungs and makes breathing difficult at times. I have trouble walking from one room to another on really bad days. Walking a hill--forget it! You want to keep walking those hills, my friend. You want to cherish those precious lungs of yours and say goodbye to those nasty death sticks once and for all. I would love to support you in this. We all would!

• Like 3

Welcome Steveo1.  Now is a good time as any and this is the best place to do it.  Tons of information and support.  I know about those teeth problems.  I have had many surgeries on my gums, teeth removal, implants, skin grafts and bone grafts.  Most of these procedures are not covered on dental insurance.  I have about $27,000.00 invested in my mouth.  I tell my husband my diamonds are in my mouth.  

I am so glad your dentist was honest with you.  Mine never connected smoking to my problems.

You will be truly amazed how better you feel once you quit.  It is such a powerful feeling to be free of the addiction.

• Like 2

@Steveo1 how are you doing. 

If you are flying through that's great. If you are struggling or haven't got your quit off the ground don't disappear. 

Whatever you need just ask. If you want tips, advice on how to get through the first few days etc people here can help. 

If you're quit you will benefit from the cheers, if you aren't then you will benefit from just hanging around here. 

It's a win win 😐

• Like 1

This is a struggle. I had a smoke yesterday and today. It's like an itch you can't scratch!. I'm using patches and oral spray and whilst it takes the edge off it is so hard. I'll start again tomorrow and try again. Thanks for the support it could make the difference.

@Steveo1, I know it's hard but you can do it. Maybe try coming on here and posting an SOS or just venting before you smoke? Maybe it will get your mind on something besides smoking a cigarette. And maybe try making it harder to smoke by throwing away any smokes you have

• Like 1

Being honest and facing the difficulties is important.  Just remember to try and post an SOS before you smoke.  We will do our best to talk you through it.  I promise that once you get the nicotine out of your system, you can change your way of thinking. You will be forever grateful to be rid of this addiction.   

• Like 2

You CAN do it ....

S !!!!......stay glued to this place 24/7.....post ,post,post ,..it does make a difference ....

It's all about changing your thinking ....

Make the decision never to put a cigarette in your mouth again no matter what.... Even if your arse was on fire ...

NOPE !!!!.....make this the way you start your day ....and the way you end your day ....each day it gets easier ....

• Like 1

Yes! Keep trying!!

You will come up against what seems to be insurmountable cravings in the early days - there's no getting around that - it's a fact. All you need to do is just refuse to give in to those horrible craves to light up again. Battle them with all your mite! It keeps getting a little easier each and every day to do that. That's why they call the first week Hell Week - it truly is but IT IS doable. Believe in yourself and look to others who have done it for inspiration. You are NO different from us all here. We have done it and so can YOU!

never-give-up-quotes.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steveo1 said:

This is a struggle.

Quitting is a struggle.  However, it gets easier with time and your effort will be rewarded many times over.

Continuing to smoke is also a struggle.  Smoking demands that you plan your life around it, the cycle never ends so long as you continue to smoke, and there are no rewards...smoking only takes without giving anything in return.

The choice is obvious.

• Like 2

It's a relationship we have with smoking and when we have to leave it behind it's hard. I don't know when it gets easier because I'm fairly new at this myself. 

If you've ever had a human relationship fall apart you will know that feeling where you think life will never be the same. The thing is if they don't want you back life is hard at first and you think you'll never get over it. We all know though from experience that we do enjoy life again eventually. Quitting smoking is no different. 

When you get that itch tell yourself you're going to wait an hour and if you really want one you'll go get one. If you're really honest with yourself by the time that hour is up the desperation will have gone. 

Be proud of yourself because every minute you don't smoke is a big achievement x

• Like 6