Satdee Poll: What is the right way to eat...

notsmokinjo

How do you use your cutlery?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. When you sit down at a table with a steak and veggies how do you use your cutlery?

• You cut everything on your plate into bite size pieces then put down your knife and use your fork (possibly even swapping hands) to shovel the food in.
    • You cut a mouthful, put it in your mouth, put your cutlery down, chew, swallow, pick your cutlery up and repeat.
    • You cut a mouthful, put it in your mouth and keep your cutlery in your hands, and repeat.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/31/19 at 02:23 AM

So I know it's not Satdee...it's Thursdee...but this is a quick little no brainer....I suspect I know where the chips will fall but just wanna know. So had a business lunch meeting yesterday and noticed the difference between the way people from 3 different regions used their cutlery (yes it was a sintilating meeting) ... So there were 3 distinct styles that were consistent with where the diners came from....I'll reveal all at the end....but let's see if you mob here follow the trend I noted.....so we had steak and veggies or salad and chips....in the board room....how would you have eaten it ....

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1

I keep the cutlery in both hands as I eat, I believe this all about culture how your family tree was raised.  When I was stationed in Germany I was asked if I had German heritage since I used my cutlery much like they did, my grandmother came from Germany.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WeegieWoman said:

I'm a fast eater so keep the cutlery in my hands. 

But I have this weird 'save the best bit till last' thingy that I've kept since childhood 🙈 so I tend to eat my potatoes then veg then meat...no mixing! 

I still leave my favourite it for last but I mix everything else. The kid leaves the stuff she hats for last and eats her favourite first because ... the world might end and then she doesn't have to eat it.

• Haha 1

rrG'day

I was taught not to talk with your hands full of cutlery....its not nice to poke a knife in someone's eye.Knife and fork were place at the 9 and 3 o'clock position on the edge of your plate.

Place both knife and fork together in the 6 oclock position indicates you were finished and you brothers had free rein to steal your meal....  

Edited by Cbdave
speeling
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

So for the record, the meeting was attended by a pom, a Scot, a Mick, 2 yanks, a Canadian, and 4 Aussies.....oh and me but I had a Bento Box so I used chopsticks.

Jo - Translation needed: What is a pom????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok...Doreen is not a pom cos she is a scouser...the ones from Liverpool are special...but all the other English are poms...

Scots are from Scotland or married to Charlene.

Taffies are from Wales

Micks are Irish

Someone from Nth Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England and some itty bitty Isles can be Brits also.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Ok...Doreen is not a pom cos she is a scouser...the ones from Liverpool are special...but all the other English are poms...

This is true !!!

tenor.gif

Ok ....I voted to put my knife and fork down in between mouthfuls.... Cos it's a bloody thick piece of steak...takes time to chew ya know ...I'm a lady ...

• Haha 3

Ok the results are in....and I can see, from the comments especially, that the Aussies (and our Scouser) eat the same, cutlery down between mouthfuls. So if you are interested in what happened during the meeting meal....

The Aussies, to a man, put their cutlery down between mouthfuls.

The Canadian and the Yanks cut everything on their plate into bite size pieces, dropped the knives and then just used their forks. 

The Brits all cut one mouthful at a time but left their cutlery in their hands between mouthfuls.

I think Martian was on the money, it just depends on what you were taught. Thought it was interesting that the patterns were so geographic though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1