Quittrain for eating?

There is a big difference between smoking and eating junk food that people are forgetting -

cutting back on junk food is practical, unlike cigarettes where "cutting back" just does not work.

When trying to quit smoking, one has to give it up completely.

When trying to get in shape, you can still have some junk food, just have the discipline to cut back.

But also, try to limit the junk food on hand. Do not be like me and have three or four different kinds of ice cream in the freezer.

Well shoot, I quit smoking, what the hell more does my stupid body want?

Anyways so yeah, moderation.

• Like 3

How we doing P & P (my diet buddy).  I cut out all those jellybeans and sweets and stuck to the celery and peanut butter.  Moved outside a little more because the weather finally started to act like spring.  Did lose 2 lbs.  

Can't see where I lost it.  Maybe in my big toe.  I want to see results!!!!!!

giphy 4.gif

Edited by Linda Thomas
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well done on the 2lb loss, that's brilliant 👍 me and the hubby went trekking in the Brecon beacons last week, was a long walk down to this waterfall, the Sgwd yr Eira, and even harder going back up, as it was all steps, I lost count how many, but each step was hulking your body weight up, and I knew about it the next day!!! I was knackered haha. It was  nice to be able to walk behind the waterfall. waterproofs-required.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catlover said:

Well done on the 2lb loss, that's brilliant 👍 me and the hubby went trekking in the Brecon beacons last week, was a long walk down to this waterfall, the Sgwd yr Eira, and even harder going back up, as it was all steps, I lost count how many, but each step was hulking your body weight up, and I knew about it the next day!!! I was knackered haha. It was  nice to be able to walk behind the waterfall.

Beautiful Catlover.  I can't do the hiking with my husband right now, because he needs knee replacement.  We are counting down the months (May) when he can retire and get it fixed. 

• 3 months later...

I don't have a weight problem so much as a food perception problem.

It is too easy to perceive food as a feast for the senses.  The tastes, the smells, colours, textures, consistencies.....

Nor has it helped that I've been indoctrinated with a lifetime of advertisements concerning the benefits of eating Twinkies in bulk.

Anyhow the trick I use to dialing back my fixations on foodstuffs is simply to actualize three little words; its just fuel.

That's it.  And that's all there really is to food.  It's just fuel. 

Choose the proper type and amount of fuel and your engine will last a lot longer.  

When I see something that starts the cravings I dial back by internalizing "it's just fuel" and consider if this is the best

fuel for my engine.

Anyhow, that's how I roll.  Maybe this will make sense to somebody else.

• Like 3

Oh, dear.  I am a hedonist and a sensualist...an epicurean in the modern sense.

I strive for moderation...

and an epicurean, in the traditional sense,  is more about moderation.

Epicureanism ( philosophy of Epicurus,  307 B.C. )

Teaches that the greatest good is to seek modest pleasures 

in order to attain a state of tranquillity, freedom from fear ("ataraxia") and absence from bodily pain ("aponia").

This combination of states is held to constitute happiness in its highest form.

A twinkie will never pass my lips.

But, I need to feed my soul when I fuel up.

I eat very slowly, I try to savor every bite and nourish my senses.

I understand that you are trying to switch your food patterns up and I applaud you.

Spartan ? Asceticism ?  Will these concepts assist you in any way ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sirius said:

Anyhow the trick I use to dialing back my fixations on foodstuffs is simply to actualize three little words; its just fuel.

That's it.  And that's all there really is to food.  It's just fuel. 

Choose the proper type and amount of fuel and your engine will last a lot longer.  

Thinking of food as fuel has changed the way I eat completely.  Every now and again I will eat something just because I like that food, but most of the time I eat with sights on what will better fuel my body and replenish valuable nutrients.

And don't feel sorry for me, I eat well.  Healthy eating is more satisfying on every level than the average American diet.

Speaking of stuff some of my fellow Americans are eating...I saw an ad for this monstrosity and could only ask myself: "Why?"  The only situation I could imagine even taking a bite of such a thing would be if I lost a bet of some sort....

image.thumb.png.3e67d064f935ca6b7b953f92b560baf9.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I pay a lot of attention to nutrition like @Boo  but, that doesn't sacrifice sensory feasts in any way, lol.

22 minutes ago, Boo said:

Healthy eating is more satisfying on every level than the average American diet.

• Like 2

I'm just stripping the romance from the food that I eat.  Consider it my own personal "Reality Check" when it comes to consumption.

I still have preferences and such.  It's just what I have to do to keep my compulsiveness on a leash.

• Like 3

I try to eat healthy ...

But just lately ,I think my neighbours think I need comfort food...I think they are feeding a army ...

I have to be polite ...oh !!!! that's a big dinner for my little tum ...

You don't have to worry I eat ....but still the dockers size dinners still keep coming ..

• Like 4

18 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Where's the pitcher of Beer? There needs to be beer to wash that sweet Momma down 😍

That sandwich would go better with pure grain alcohol.  Douse the sandwich.  Strike a match.  Kill it with fire.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Boo said:

That sandwich would go better with pure grain alcohol.  Douse the sandwich.  Strike a match.  Kill it with fire.

I remember a few years ago KFC came out here in Canada with the Double-Down sandwich. Two fired hunks of chicken with a bunch of melted cheese and some bacon strips in the middle. People went nuts for them and they were only available for a limited time. I never did try one. Sodium count was at  1,880 mg and the cholesterol was a mere 150 mg. 

235px-KFC_Double_Down_%22Sandwich%22.jpg

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I remember a few years ago KFC came out here in Canada with the Double-Down sandwich. Two fired hunks of chicken with a bunch of melted cheese and some bacon strips in the middle. People went nuts for them and they were only available for a limited time. I never did try one. Sodium count was at  1,880 mg and the cholesterol was a mere 150 mg. 

What could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 3