Is it possible to quit without support from friends and family and if you stay mostly to yourself?

Ankush

14 hours ago, Lilly said:

Good luck for 02 April. 

What possessed you as a non smoker to decide to have a cigarette when stressed. How did you deal with stress before that. Have you thought about how you will deal with stress when you quit. 

Theres plenty of support here so you won't be totally on your own. 

Are you Redemption3 with a name change?

@Lilly I have decided that physical exercise will be a good way to deal with stress after I quit, but at the same time I should not use exercising as a crutch. Besides exercising to keep myself physically fit is another goal of mine. So, stress or no stress, doing physical exercise on a regular basis is going to become a part of my life. I will do a lot of deep breathing as suggested in Joel's videos initially though. Before I started smoking, I used to just walk stress off by listening to a lot of music. It was work related stress that finally did me in. I thought that's it, I can't cope with work-related stress anymore. I am going to go buy a smoke. Biggest mistake I ever made. This was way back in 2005. Should never have started smoking. I am not Redemption3, I do not even know who that is. 

Edited by Ankush
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

Considering Ankush is anti-NRT that's a rather odd question Lilly.

Welcome Ankush, tomorrow is the big day, wishing you strength and commitment...no luck in a quit, just perseverance. You can do this.

@notsmokinjo Thank you for your words of encouragement. Yes, there is no such thing as luck, I will just have to persevere and stick to my quit. I'm nervous and I sincerely hope I can pull off the quit. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Looking forward to travelling along your journey with you ...

Don't be nervous...be thankful...you are putting this horrible killer addiction behind you .....

You don't need hope ...you just need the desire to be free...

@Doreensfree Yesterday, I made a list of  the reasons as to why I want to quit smoking. I do want to be free of Nicotine addiction.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great plan using fitness as stress relief. There is a thread somewhere on here where you can log what you have done and talk to other fitness friends. 

Such a shame you picked up those cigarettes at work but at least you are trying now to break that habit. I wish I had quit at your lovely young age. 

Thanks for answering my question. There was no malice in it you just reminded me of Redemption3 (they are another member).

Rooting for you on your Day 1 😀

• Like 1

You need one ... and only one thing to be a successful quitter: 
A desire to quit that is stronger than your desire to smoke that next cigarette. 

All else is noise to pollute the process. 
You don't need support. 
You need to want it. 
If you want it, you will quit regardless of your situation/support. 
If you want to smoke, you will smoke regardless of your situation/support. 
It is 100% an internal motivation. 
Externalizing it to outside events/people (a.k.a "support") is the rationalization of The Junkie Brain. 

Do you want to quit more than you want to smoke?
That is both necessary, and sufficient for a success. 

EZPZ

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lilly said:

Sounds like a great plan using fitness as stress relief. There is a thread somewhere on here where you can log what you have done and talk to other fitness friends. 

Such a shame you picked up those cigarettes at work but at least you are trying now to break that habit. I wish I had quit at your lovely young age. 

Thanks for answering my question. There was no malice in it you just reminded me of Redemption3 (they are another member).

Rooting for you on your Day 1 😀

@Lilly Thank you for your words of encouragement. Day 1 went fine. I thought I wasn't going to make it. Started my day by throwing all remaining smokes and remaining paraphernalia. Then cleaned my room. Stuck post-its wherever I could think of in my room that say "Never take another puff". Then did some breathing, watched some of Joel's videos related to Day 1 of a quit and did some physical exercise. Ate a couple of sandwiches, had plenty of juice and water (besides my regular meals). There was one thing though - I almost would forget today was quit day. After a meal I would think, "right, time for a smoke" and then immediately remember, "oh yes, today is quit day and no more cigarettes for me." I would then find something to keep myself busy and forget about smoking.

I thought that you thought I was some sort of trickster/troller by changing my profile name or something like that. Good to know that that's not what you thought.

Edited by Ankush

1 hour ago, sgt.barney said:

You need one ... and only one thing to be a successful quitter: 
A desire to quit that is stronger than your desire to smoke that next cigarette. 

All else is noise to pollute the process. 
You don't need support. 
You need to want it. 
If you want it, you will quit regardless of your situation/support. 
If you want to smoke, you will smoke regardless of your situation/support. 
It is 100% an internal motivation. 
Externalizing it to outside events/people (a.k.a "support") is the rationalization of The Junkie Brain. 

Do you want to quit more than you want to smoke?
That is both necessary, and sufficient for a success. 

EZPZ

@sgt.barney Thank you for your advice. I do want to quit. Honestly, there is the desire to smoke a cigarette. But, I have to learn to be smarter than the cigarette (as Joel puts it).

14 minutes ago, Ankush said:

Honestly, there is the desire to smoke a cigarette.

You interpret that as desire, while in reality its your junkie brain talking. Got to rewire and change brain patterns. You are doing so since today, congrats!

18 hours ago, jillar said:

I don't drink enough water either but for me the more water I drink the more I have to pee! This getting old shit sucks lol!!!

40 minutes ago, Ankush said:

@Lilly Thank you for your words of encouragement. Day 1 went fine. I thought I wasn't going to make it. Started my day by throwing all remaining smokes and remaining paraphernalia. Then cleaned my room. Stuck post-its wherever I could think of in my room that say "Never take another puff". Then did some breathing, watched some of Joel's videos related to Day 1 of a quit and did some physical exercise. Ate a couple of sandwiches, had plenty of juice and water (besides my regular meals). There was one thing though - I almost would forget today was quit day. After a meal I would think, "right, time for a smoke" and then immediately remember, "oh yes, today is quit day and no more cigarettes for me." I would then find something to keep myself busy and forget about smoking.

I thought that you thought I was some sort of trickster/troller by changing my profile name or something like that. Good to know that that's not what you thought.

Anyone can change their name by going to their profile, I could change mine now if I wanted. If I thought you were a troll I wouldn't have said anything, I would have just reported it 😀

Anyway, back to your quit. Well done firstly on sticking to quitting today. It would have been easy to change your mind and go back to your original quit date but you didn't. Shows how committed you are. 

I think it's pretty normal to think of smoking after meals etc. These are the triggers we need to get rid off. After a few days you won't think of smoking after every meal. The trigger will get weaker. 

I'm a great believer in facing everything and not avoiding anything. I live with two smokers. I don't ask them to hide their cigarettes nor do I ask them not to smoke around me. The problem with asking them those things is nobody else in the world is going to do that for me so why not get used to it from day 1.

We are all in this together and all the quitter oldies will help with any concerns. If you need any advice ask them.

You've nearly finished that first day 😀

3 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Anyone can change their name by going to their profile, I could change mine now if I wanted. If I thought you were a troll I wouldn't have said anything, I would have just reported it 😀

Anyway, back to your quit. Well done firstly on sticking to quitting today. It would have been easy to change your mind and go back to your original quit date but you didn't. Shows how committed you are. 

I think it's pretty normal to think of smoking after meals etc. These are the triggers we need to get rid off. After a few days you won't think of smoking after every meal. The trigger will get weaker. 

I'm a great believer in facing everything and not avoiding anything. I live with two smokers. I don't ask them to hide their cigarettes nor do I ask them not to smoke around me. The problem with asking them those things is nobody else in the world is going to do that for me so why not get used to it from day 1.

We are all in this together and all the quitter oldies will help with any concerns. If you need any advice ask them.

You've nearly finished that first day 😀

@Lilly Yes, I've nearly finished the first day. I do have a slight headache now. Going to have some green tea after dinner and juice which I hope will offset the headache. Living with smokers and not smoking shows character, good to know that you still stay away from cigarettes. :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, johnny5 said:

Congratulations on making it through day 1, Ankush, and thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Keep up the great work!

@johnny5 Thank you!!! I'm half way through Day 2 now. The headache which started last night is still there. I had a lot of juice, plenty of water and some buttermilk. However, the headache persists. Its a dull pain, not severe but its very annoying.

10 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

Ankush, day one down and on your way.  Just hang tough and you will get through another day.  

@Linda Thomas Thank you :)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jillar said:

You're doing great Ankush :)

@jillar I had a stressful moment this evening, and I almost relapsed. Even went through my things for half a cigarette. Obviously didn't find any since I had thrown away everything. But I successfully fought off the temptation to go and buy a cigarette. I will not let my quit fail. I have made this commitment and I should stick to it. Would have felt like I've let myself down had I taken a stupid puff. But I didn't take a puff. Rewarded myself with a small bag of chips instead.

Edited by Ankush
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

After day 3 the nicotine has left your body ....I remember I felt this was a great achievement ....after decades of never being free...

Feel proud .!!!

@Doreensfree Another 1 and a half hours and I will reach the 72 hour mark of being smoke free. Staying smoke free, does make me free. My routine no longer revolves around the 3 to 4 cigarettes that I used to take. I never even realized my routine used to revolve around those cigarettes till I quit. I watched many of Joel's videos. He was right when he said that a light smoker has the hardest time, not physically adjusting, but psychologically adjusting to a quit. Still adjusting.

@Ankush, well done on getting past that bad crave. Just remember to SOS BEFORE you cave to a crave so that we can try to help you past it. You don't want to give up those awesome days quit you have now and start over again! 

• Like 2