Solo

Solo

Hi. I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I started my quit on jan. 14th 2019. It's been the toughest thing I've ever done. I took chantix for 10 days. Cut way down as I was smoking around 3 packs a day at the time. On the 14th of jan., I quit the chantix and the cigs at the same time. I smoked for 44 years. Basically my entire adult life. I'm learning how to live without smoking. It is still hard every day. My joy is gone. I eat more and spend too much time beating myself up. It's just hard to appreciate you accomplishments when you feel so anxious and sad most of the time. My husband still smokes. We spend a lot of time apart now. I don't go outdoors much because it's a trigger. He stays outside much of the time. His cigs are very strong smelling so he reeks. It's not been good for our relationship. He offers no support. I am determined to be free of this addiction. I want to be a better example for my husband and hopefully help him quit. I don't blame him for not wanting to really.  He's watched me be miserable for 2 months. Why would he want to go down that road?  

Anyway.  I've rambled on enough. Thanks for  listening. 

• Like 9

Welcome solo and congratulations on your quit. You are in the slog of it now but you must believe us when we say it gets better. Please avail yourself to all the educational materials we have here because knowledge is power. I'm on my phone right now and can't give you links but browse around the site and learn all you can about nicotine addiction. I am a 40 odd year smoker too and quit 5 years ago,  you can too! So glad you found us we will help you on this amazing journey.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard,  Solo!

Congrats on quitting the poison sticks! As a member of the 40+ year smoker club, I can vouch for what you are experiencing right now! You will find so much information here to help understand what you are going through and get you through these early days! Read, read, read and participate...as Saz stated above, knowledge is SO powerful against addiction.

One day at a time! 😎

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hi Solo and welcome. I know the feelings you are going through. I cannot offer much advise as I am so new here. Well today is day 7 for me. Sorry for your difficulties but you are doing so well. So glad you are here sharing your quit. All we can do is keep moving forward. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi solo, congrats on over two months quit. That's fantastic! I have much respect for those of you who can quit with a smoking spouse at home. You should be really proud of yourself. 

Everything you're feeling is completely normal for where you are in your quit. The first year is very trying for a lot of us long term smokers so getting used to our new normal can be hard at times. Hang in there, it will get better :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Solo! You have a really nice quit going there - congrats! Be proud of yourself for getting that far because it is a HUGE accomplishment and you have climbed over the worst of it now!

At the top of both this Introductions & About Us page and the Quit Smoking Discussions page you will see "Pinned Threads" (green circle with a pin beside each one). Those are threads that may be of interest to you and helpful as well.

Yes. you still have challenges to face but take on those triggers as they come and you'll find you can beat them. Once you do, you'll find they are not so much of a trigger next time around. That's how we beat this thing. Education about nicotine addiction which gives us the knowledge to outsmart it and time. Time we put between our form smoker selves and our now non smoker selves will make a huge difference in how you look at things. You will learn to live happily again in day to day life as a non smoker. Trust us on that .... it's true for everyone :) 

If it's support your are looking for, you'll get that here - lots of it! And, that can make a huge difference as well. Support from those who have gone through the same thing you are. We're all quitters here :) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hello and Welcome Solo...

Congratulations on your fabulous quit...and for finding this magical place..

You have been given great advice ,from the members above me...

Also watch all Joel's videos ...they cover most things about this addiction.....We have a daily pledge...this is a powerful tool...

Hope fully your hubby will see you quit and follow ...most smokers deep down would love to Kick the habit..

I smoked 52 years ....and quit ,with the help of these folks....my advice post every day...join in ...we have fun too...you can do it ...

Looking forward to getting to know you better...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Solo glad to have you aboard for this journey.  Looks like you have a good quit going there.  I too was at 44 years before I quit a little over a year ago.  Yes you will have a new normal to get used to but it is so worth it and it will get better.  It must be tough to have your significant other still smoking but hopefully you can show the way.  It is tough but it is doable and we are here to support you!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard, Solo.  Congratulations on 2 months smoke free.  I know it is rough but you are doing a great thing by leaving those cigarettes behind.

Stick around this site.  Reach out for support and read up on the educational resources here about nicotine addiction.  There is a lot of support and knowledge here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your positive words. I truly need to hear that this will get better. After Saturday,  I'll be off gthe grid for a week but look forward to diving in and educating myself on addiction when we get back.

• Like 7

Hi Solo.  I also  was a 40 year smoker and was able to quit with the help of the people on this forum.  

You are over the worst few weeks and now you just need to retrain you addictive thinking.  l hope you will stay close and read as much as you can.  It helps to read the blogs of others who have taken this journey.  

We have  a wonderful group of people here,  dedicated to helping others finally free themselves of this terrible addiction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Solo and congratulations on two-months smokefree.

14 hours ago, Solo said:

I'm learning how to live without smoking. It is still hard every day. My joy is gone. I eat more and spend too much time beating myself up. It's just hard to appreciate you accomplishments when you feel so anxious and sad most of the time.

You smoked for 44 years.  That's 44 years of addiction and conditioning.  If it takes more than a couple of months to unpack some things and acclimate yourself to living without cigarettes, that's to be expected.  Don't put added pressure on yourself by subscribing to any unrealistic and arbitrary timelines.  The process takes time.

Celebrate the fact that you have freed yourself from cigarettes and take comfort in the fact that better days lie ahead.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Solo. Joining this forum may just save your life. I hopped on the train 3 years ago and was welcomed with open arms. Best advice?  Read, read, read. There are SO many amazing stories, information, heartwarming and heartbreaking tales and hints to help you. You will find your own gems, things that help it ‘click’ for you and one day you will realise you took back control. The misery? That isn’t you, it’s your addiction. Embrace that misery because it means you’re winning. You are crushing that addiction and taking back your life. There are some fascinating articles here about the physical effects nicotine has on your dopamine receptors that explains more about your feelings. It is physically changing your brain and you are emotionally grieving for your main coping mechanism for your entire adult life. I promise you though that one day you will see how insignificant nicotine is. You don’t need it and soon you won’t ‘want’ it. For now, small steps, one at a time. You’ve got this. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sarge had zero support from his Mrs. Sarge. She smoked. Full time. Cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays laying around all rooms of the house. Smoking every waking minute. 

It doesn't matter. It don't mean nothin' (not a thing (not a thing)) -- you carry on with your own plan regardless. 

Plot Twist: Mrs. Sarge saw how much better Sarge's life was and quit herself  3-ish years later. 
She's got 4 years under her belt now (to Sarge's near 8). 

Ignore those who still smoke. It doesn't affect you and is none of your concern. 
If they have some sense, they'll come around. If they don't, they won't. 

In either case your quit is your quit and depends on no one but you. 
Enjoy your new tobacco-free life. 

EZPZ

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ps Your joy will come back and being a nonsmoker will feel as natural as eating and sleeping, i smoked for 30  or so years and now have been a non smoker for almost six years. Every day it gets a tiny bit better. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 3/23/2019 at 8:00 PM, beacon said:

Ps Your joy will come back and being a nonsmoker will feel as natural as eating and sleeping, i smoked for 30  or so years and now have been a non smoker for almost six years. Every day it gets a tiny bit better. 

Is it still difficult sometimes? 

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, Solo said:

Is it still difficult sometimes? 

Not in the slightest. Never, at all,  in fact these days. 

Full Disclosure: Coming up on year 8 this year. It took about 10 full months to get past any kind of "difficulty" ... but Easy Peasy nonetheless. 

EZPZ. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 8:47 AM, Solo said:

He's watched me be miserable for 2 months. Why would he want to go down that road?  

Well, ha ha, this is going to seem laughable but check this out.

I have a hard time saying this with a straight face but what if he wanted to go down that road for something goofy like oh, living longer, living better, saving money, not smelling like an ash tray. I know those are asinine reasons to quit smoking but oh heck why not?

Maybe when people don't quit smoking, they would rather risk the road of getting some horrible smoking ailment. Sure it is worse than quitting but hey, at least someone gets to smoke their cigarettes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 8:58 AM, Sazerac said:

Welcome solo and congratulations on your quit. You are in the slog of it now but you must believe us when we say it gets better. Please avail yourself to all the educational materials we have here because knowledge is power. I'm on my phone right now and can't give you links but browse around the site and learn all you can about nicotine addiction. I am a 40 odd year smoker too and quit 5 years ago,  you can too! So glad you found us we will help you on this amazing journey.

Today is a day of freedom!  I might have some moments today but I feel like I'm beginning to normalize. So excited!  I absolutely crave a normal life without nicotine. It will always make me a little crazy that my husband smokes. I hate the smell so bad. Plus it's a trigger at the same time. I'm more concerned for his heath at this point. Anyway.  Congrats on 5 years. The benefits are amazing! 

• Like 2

Good to see you ! So how long have you been quit ? Did you stick with your January 14, 2019 quit ?

I am happy to hear that you are beginning to normalize.

It was a happy challenge to re-invent myself as a nicotine free person.

Perhaps, your husband will be led by your example, that is really all we can hope for

or, throw him in the shower, brush his teeth before you bestow your gifts on him. lol.

Keep your quit separate from him, from life and protect it with everything you have.