Ladies only question (Really guys, you don't want to go here)

Mee

I thought that I breezed through menopause about ten years ago.  I did have the mood swings but the hot flashes were nothing.  Just a few at night.  

Well.......is it possible that the smoking helped to stave off the hot flashes.  I have been having hot flashes for the past week.  During the day and at night.  That part of my life should be over by now.

Did any other ladies notice this?  I don't know whether it is something that I should be concerned about.This sucks,  if I get to redo this part of my life!!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Hi Sweetie ...

I had a early menopause .age 40....I'm still getting symptoms....so I don't know whether quitting would make a difference ...

Any concerns best asking the doctor...we  are all different .......to me it just gets worse ....sorry I'm no help ....

• Like 3

Linda mine was a breeze too with maybe just a few hot flashes. So far I have not had that happen to me but so early in my quit it may happen somewhere down the line. Hope it's nothing and goes away soon. Love your quit by the way. You inspire me😃

• Like 5

I too went through early menopause right after I got my tubes tied at 39 or 40. I do though on occasion get hot flashes at night but not sure that it has anything to do with quitting or menopause. Just a body regulating itself?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, desperate1 said:

Love your quit by the way. You inspire me😃

I am glad that I have helped inspire you.  Just know that I ,not long ago,  went through what you are going through now.  You are going to make it.   Keep reaching out when you feel those craves overcoming you.  We are here to help you through.  

I haven't had hot flashes in years.  It just seemed odd that they have started again.  I had breast cancer that was estrogen produced, so I take a medication that reduces the estrogen.   I think I might check with my doctor.

• Like 6

If you Google it Linda there are a number of reasons that may be causing them so never a bad idea to get a check up and a blood test :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Smoking most definitely affects hormone balance. It takes time for your endocrine system to recover after you quit. There is a lot of information out there on the web about it. (I did a quick google search upon reading your question!) If you are concerned, of course talk to your doctor. But I suspect what you are going through is quite normal.

P.S. Hot flashes suck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abbynormal said:

P.S. Hot flashes suck!

You got that right.  Well we won't let the newbies know that could be a side affect of quitting.  Thanks for googling it.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Linda...get a blood test done, ask for things like full thyroid function. I can't comment on menopause cos  still waiting....but seeing as we are talking plumbing and some of our newbies might still have monthlies...when I quit mine went screwy...it was all over the place, cycle wise, took about 8months to settle back to normal... And my hot flushes were my thyroid.. which the nicotine had been masking, probably for years.

My cycles was so all over the place and the mood swings and hot flushes I was sure it was menopause...but my GP suspected not hence the blood test....there are a few endocrine conditions that are masked by nicotine... Things with me were odd from the get go but when I stopped the nrt they went really wacky.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@notsmokinjo  I didn't know thyroid could affect hot flashes.  I fell, while walking the dogs last year, and broke my nose and knocked myself out.  One of life's embarrassing moments! 

When I came to, the police and ambulance were there.  They made me go to the emergency room.  When they scanned my head, they found that I did break my nose but also had nodes on my thyroid.  I did get them biopsied and they were okay but they did advise me to get them checked every six months.   I think I will check on that too. Thanks for the info.

• Like 4

Here are some links

Cigarettes Sabotage Hormone Balance

Does quitting smoking decrease the risk of midlife hot flashes? A longitudinal analysis

I was pretty much over hot flashes when I quit but,

they never seem to go away, depending on my stress levels,

I am still having hot flashes at sixty something.

Likely culprit is thyroid nonsense like  @notsmokinjo mentions.

I will also get hot flashes if I drink too much

or feel frisky 'down there'.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi LT- I'm in agreement that you should get some bloodwork done. The thyroid is the the Queen gland & very well could be the cause.  Still -as mentioned it could be hormones you thought were done playing the game.  Could even be psychological and/or cardiac- are you stressed out, overly worried or anxious?  Please report your symptoms to your doc. 

Menopause is banging on my door. I’m not ready to open it & face reality!!! 

Edited by Lust4Life
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lust4Life said:

Unfortunately it will appear.  I do hope yours is mild and quick.

I wasn't sure I should post this but am glad I did.  Maybe I can blame some of those quit smoking pounds gained on my thyroid too.

Will definitely get in to see my physician.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Lust4Life said:

You likely won't get the chance to open that door in a civilized manner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

I was one of the lucky ones....went thru menopause at 51...had 6-8 months of the hot flashes (which were intense....esp when they would happen during meetings at work!! I always carried one of those collapsible folding fans with me...if I didn't, then the sweat would just drip down my face!!!) I have 2 sisters...both younger than me who went thru it a younger age than me....and they both still have the hot flashes and one still gets the night sweats! Going on 10-15 years now for them with the hot flashes/night sweats...one is now vaping the last 4 years and the other still smoking. I have been quit for over 2 years and haven't had any issues with flashes/night sweats.....😉

image.png.525a5493cfa23dc8f86f0bcfac76bf00.png

• Like 4