Struggling to breathe

abbynormal

I'm being sent to a pulmonologist. My autoimmune disease is attacking my lungs. I can't breathe properly. I find myself gasping for breath during conversations. The other night my lungs were burning as if I'd sprinted up a hill, and all I was doing was sitting on my arse watching television. I feel like I can never get quite enough air. It's a truly terrifying feeling.

Please don't smoke. If you have quit, STAY quit. Keep that precious quit at all costs. If you are still smoking and thinking of quitting, do it now. Don't wait until you reach the point of no return. Your lungs are precious, and every breath is a gift.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

abby so sorry to read that you are having such a hard time. I am new here and don't know much about your quit but being a long time smoker myself I can feel the damage I have done to myself. I hope you find some relief from all that you are going through. My thoughts are with you. 

• Like 6

Oh, abby !

I am so sorry you are going through this.

I can only imagine the panic you must feel.

Thank you for your posts, you help all of us everyday.

We have taken our breath for granted and are stupid.

Breath is the most important part of our survival.

Keep us posted.  Hopefully the pulmonologist will be able to alleviate your distress.

• Like 6

Abby, I wish I had something insightful or at least helpful to add to the conversation.

That not being an option, I send you my best wishes and hope you're doing better soon.

Take care.

• Like 7

I know how it feels to not be able to breathe Abby. Some of what you are going through could be your lungs cleaning out all the gunk from smoking. I remember when I first quit that my breathing got worse than when I smoked. So much so that I thought, why did I even quit! I do have asthma too though and it seemed quitting made it worse 😞But my pulmonologist told me that my lungs were actually starting to repair themselves. Hopefully your pulmonologist will be able to assure you that's the case for you too and also give you something to help with your breathing. 

• Like 8

Sorry you are experiencing this Abby. Frightening I'm sure but glad to hear your are going to see the pulmonologist. That's the Dr. that will be able to give you the best status report and treatment plan for your lung function. Will be thinking of you and hoping you get good results. Please keep us informed .... we care ❤️

• Like 9

Ugh, that must be so scary. Sorry you are going through this. 

Thanks for taking the time to write this down.. these are the messages that keep reminding me to do everything in my power to protect my quit. 

Whishing you well, hope there's treatment for this ugly part of your autoimmune disease.

Take care!

• Like 8

I too am glad you are going to see a pulmonologist, hopefully the doctor will be able to help you and find some answers.  I too have felt how bad my lungs have been damaged and it can be a roller coaster of a ride but my doctor has been helping me.  Good luck and keep us posted!!!!!

• Like 6

Not breathing or struggling too is a horrible feeling. After smoking close to 40 years it’s a wonder I can breathe at all. Our bodies must be tougher than we give it credit for. I hope they get you taken care of sooner than later. I just didn’t think it made any sense that you could quit smoking and breathe worse than what did while smoking.  I think that is one reason it’s been somewhat difficult for me of late. Best wishes Abby.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MarylandQuitter said:

Abby, so sorry that you're having to deal with this.  Being this is caused from an autoimmune disease, are they able to stop any of this?  Thanks for the wise words and the great reminder.

There are immunosuppressive treatments that can help stop my body from attacking my lungs, but unfortunately those drugs attack the liver. My rheumatologist is not a fan of using them unless absolutely necessary. I'm hoping the pulmonologist will have more answers and suggestions for treatment. I will keep everyone posted.

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I appreciate you all so much. ❤

• Like 4

Just want to add my best wishes  for a quick, positive turnaround. Hopefully this is a temporary setback and you'll get some relief and be back on track very soon.  Your strength and amazing attitude will get you through this and we will be cheering you on every step of the way.  

• Like 4

Hi Abby, just checking in to see how you are doing.  Have you seen the pulmonologist yet?  Hopefully they are figuring things out and getting you on the road to recovery.  Wishing you the very best and hoping that you're getting some relief from your symptoms. 

Edited by Jordan7
  • Like 2

@Jordan7 Thank you for checking in! I have an appointment to see the pulmonologist on May 8. I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find out.

Right now I'm dealing with a nasty cold. Been in bed for a few days. I'm just so glad I don't smoke anymore! I can't believe I used to try to smoke when I was sick! Ugh!

Well Abby at least you have been smoke free for almost 3 months -- that should help you with the cold that you have.  Glad you have the doctors appointment  you take it easy now and get better!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abbynormal said:

@Jordan7 Thank you for checking in! I have an appointment to see the pulmonologist on May 8. I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find out.

MAY 8TH? Holy crap!

That is a long G.D. time to wait when someone is having problems breathing.

If things get too bad, just get to E.R. A slightly achy tooth could wait several more weeks, lungs cannot.

• Like 2