Back for good

desperate1

I was here about a month ago and failed miserably. Mind was not in the right place. Sick of failure and tired of all the excuses. Been reading alot here this past month and have found so much encouragement through all the success stories. Going cold turkey and am well prepared this time. I really want this and am gonna fight like heck and am prepared for what is to come. Smoked for 40 plus years and tired of it all. So tomorrow I wake up a non smoker. Thanks for any support you offer along the way. Ready to take my seat on the train 

• Like 10

YES! That's the kind of commitment you will need to see you thru! Tell yourself NOPE each and every day and then stick to that commitment. We are here to support you but you need to do the heavy lifting. It's there within your reach if you want it badly enough. Read all you can here to educate yourself about this horrible addiction. Stay close to this site because there is no greater support than other quitters. We really do get it and sooner or later, that's what you will need. Support from people who have gone through exactly what you are going thru now!

Get to know us. You might even like us? We like you already and we don't even know you - :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 6

Desperate1, I am so glad you are back and ready to quit again.  You really can do this.  I smoked for 42 years and never thought I could quit.  There is something special about this forum.   

They will guide you through the difficult days.  Stay close to the forum, make that pledge not to smoke and hang tough.  The first month is the most difficult but then it is a matter of changing your thinking.  I promise you will be gaining much more than you are giving up.  

• Like 7

Welcome desperate1.

You needn't despair anymore, tomorrow You Quit Smoking !

Get some supplies in your house to help with withdrawals.

Fruit juices, 

candies or gum or cinnamon sticks,

Oranges.

Cold water.

I am a cold turkey success story.

It ain't impossible, I did it and I was a nicotine addict for forty something years, just like you.

Don't give any energy to naysayers.  Just quit.

Quitting Smoking Cold Turkey

and this might help you

First Week, Nicotine Free

Remember you are more powerful than the addiction.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 5

Welcome aboard the QTrain, Desparate1!

Keep reading and educate yourself about the nicotine addiction...watch Joel's videos...and participate on the forums!

Buckle up and enjoy the bumpy ride and take it one day at a time! 😎 

• Like 6

Glad to have you back desperate1, we have tons of successful quitters who were long term smokers. I smoked for 35 years! My advice would be to stick close to the board, especially that first month. I stayed glued to the board my first year and am convinced I wouldn't have been successful otherwise. Plus I met some great people from all over the world :)

There is a wealth of information between all of us and we will support you however much you need or want. After all no one knows better what we go through when quitting than us :)

• Like 6

Welcome back! Sleep well tonight. Bury the demon once & for all upon rising.  Glad you found your will and way.   I’m a cold turkey quitter.  It was horrible the first 3 weeks. I survived. You will too. Come here & vent. PLEASE POST AN SOS IF YOU’RE AT RISK FOR SMOKING AGAIN. 

Go go get this done.  We’re with you all the way!

• Like 5

Welcome back D....

Glad you decided to jump back on ...same as last time ..Knowledge ...you need to take in all the knowledge you can on this addiction ...

If you havn,t read Allen Carr the Easy Way ...I definitely recommend this book ...he has helped millions quit ...alot of us too....

Stay close to the board ..join in ...play the games...take our daily NOPE....you,ll be surprised how the day build up ....

Believe in yourself ...you can do it ...

I'm  52 yr smoker ..and I did it ....so you can too...

• Like 5

Pleased to see you ready to roll. Attitude is everything when we can sometimes feel like we are arguing with ourself. Keep talking, reading, posting. Grab all the support you need! There are never too many times to post an ask for support. Sending strength and self belief for you, you got this! 

• Like 6

Thanks everyone. A bit of anxiety especially wanting that morning one. But the deep breathing and just saying nope helps alot. Your support and replies are so helpful already. I intend to spend the day reading here and watching videos. 

• Like 7

Something I found helpful in lessening that "morning one" craving was to change up my morning routine just a bit. I did things in a little different order than I did when I was smoking. That made me focus on what I was doing a little more I guess so my mind wasn't in idle thinking about smoking. 

Hope you learn lots today about this addiction. Understanding how nicotine addiction works is the key that will set you free! 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, desperate1 said:

Thanks everyone. A bit of anxiety especially wanting that morning one. But the deep breathing and just saying nope helps alot. Your support and replies are so helpful already. I intend to spend the day reading here and watching videos. 

I changed my morning routine about ...no sitting with a coffee.....took a shower..than had a glass of orange ...do things different ..break the routine ..

• Like 5

Yes I did manage to change my morning up a bit. I took a walk around the block and breathed in some fresh air which helped alot. Had me some lunch which helped too. Consuming lots of water which also calms things down. Half way through day one already and moving forward. No turning back now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Switching up your patterns is excellent advice.

Remember to reward yourself for every crave you beat. This helps your brain to re-boot.

The rewards can be free and simple, a luxurious bath, a screaming hot shower, a walk, a run, a ride, a favorite book or piece of music etc.

You know best what makes you feel good.

The Significance of Rewards

• Like 4

Welcome back desperate1, so glad to see you jump back on the train.  You have a great attitude to start out and I agree with those above, change up your morning routine some -- it will help.  And have plenty of cold water at hand to drink and Jillar air cigarette works great, still have my own.  Remember to NOPE daily it truly helps!!!!!

• Like 2

You know, I think I was so used to taking my big deep breaths with a cigarette, 

I had to learn how to simply breathe clean oxygen on purpose again.

Oxygen became my favorite new drug.  Still is. 

You are doing great, des !

You quit smoking !!!

As our wise friend,  @Sirius,  wrote,

'Next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?" 

Oh !  Glad you are committing to a year here,

you will find helping yourself and helping others with your posts secures a solid quit.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 4