35th No Smoking Day - 13th March

notsmokinjo

No Smoking Day was first celebrated on Ash Wednesday 1984 in the United Kingdom. Designed as a day to educate and encourage smokers to quit from its humble beginnings it is now celebrated around the world in many countries. Today (yep its already the 13th down under) is about encouraging those who still smoke to break free of the chains of tobacco and nicotine addiction.

Time has shown us just how terrible smoking is. Even if you don't care that your stink, you don't care if your teeth rot or your gums retract, the health dangers can not be denied. The toxins in a cigarette can cause many different forms of cancer from the mouth to the lungs. It can destroy your heart, your lungs, your circulatory system affecting your feet. What is also important to know is that while it may be a personal choice to smoke or not, when one smokes near another person -or even a pet – the second-hand smoke is just as dangerous to them. So, in fact, it really isn’t just a personal decision. The protection of people who do not want to be effected by second-hand smoke has led to new laws in most communities that ban smoking in most public spaces.

But we have all quit you say, how do we celebrate No Smoking Day... its simple, reflect on everything you have gained since you quit. Remember the journey you have taken to get back your freedom. Remember the one or two thing that really helped you keep your quit when you were still doing the hard slog. Remember all these things, reflect on them and then share them.

If you are still a smoker, and lurking out there waiting to jump aboard the QuitTrain make today the day you quit. We know at least one person out there who is quitting today. Contact a quit councilor, look at the options available to aid your quit, not everyone needs them but some of us do. But even if you aren't ready to take the plunge, take the time to do 3 things to move towards your quit, watch a video, read an article, ask a question, learn one new thing. If you have health insurance, see if you plan includes support to quit smoking. Just do something.

no-smoking-day-smokefreeliverpool.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I just wrote this on DizzyD's introductory thread

I kept yelling, 'FREE YOUR HEAD!"

I took screaming hot showers.

I drank water.  I ate all the Satsumas in town.

Finally, I was able to replace a smokey thought with something of beauty, a sensory delight.

'that light on that leaf' or 'the taste explosion of that Satsuma',  I would listen intently to that piece of music or, luxuriate in that warm embryonic wind...

This technique helped me the most. 

• Like 4

Hey, March 13th is also my birthday! I'm honored to share it with No Smoking Day.

I wrote the following on another post last night, but it just about sums up my quit and all that I've learned so far in the process...

I've always been a "stress smoker." Time after time I used stress as an excuse to light up again, even after I had quit for a long time. But what I've finally learned about smoking and it's relationship to stress is this:

Smoking doesn't help. Not even a little bit.

Smoking ADDS to my stress by compounding my current health issues and putting me in danger of new (and worse) ones.

Smoking adds stress by costing me money I don't have, so I can't afford the basic necessities.

Smoking adds stress by making me cough every time I laugh.

Smoking adds stress by putting me into a constant state of nicotine withdrawal.

Smoking adds stress by causing me to have to hide my disgusting habit from others.

Smoking adds stress by forcing me to face my mortality with each and every puff.

You see, I finally figured out that I am more afraid of dying than I am of living.

I just want to live the best life I can, one day at a time. And smoking just doesn't fit into that equation.

Happy smoke-free birthday to me! 🎉

• Like 3