Long time lurker

DizzyD

Hi everyone,

Have been lurking here long time but having made 8 days nicotine/ smoke free have decided I need a wee ( a lot) of help. Have still constant urging but really don’t want to so any advice would be gratefully received. I think there’s something wrong with my brain as in it won’t shut up lol!!!

• Like 11

Welcome on board Dizzy!! 8 days is a brilliant start, good on you! I know it's cliche but it really does get easier and easier. And you kinda grow in confidence every day. You've came to the right place for information and support! Bucket loads here! 

I took all the help I could get in the beginning so I was here, I was on NRT and I was also getting weekly pharmacy support. And alongside that I was reading incessantly about the damage smoking does but also how the body can repair itself. Also learning about addiction! Reading really drummed things into my head plus kept me busy!

You can definitely do this!! 

• Like 9

Hi DizzyD :) 

1st of all, congrats on being 8 days smoke free. That's fabulous! And welcome to Quit Train. Glad you decided to join us here. Support is a surprisingly powerful component to quitting as most of us have found out here so stick around and participate often. Ask questions, read all the material you can here. Education about this addiction is key to beating it. Know your enemy!

You will get lots of great advise over the next day or so from the good people here. I'll start it off by saying just take it 1 day at a time for now in the early days. Each day promise yourself that you won't smoke for just today. Then repeat that every day. Setting small goals make them easier to achieve. We have a daily NOPE pledge page here on the site. You may find pledging your daily pledge not to smoke useful by posting there daily.NOPE stands for Not One Puff Ever. 

Glad to see you on board the train. Next stop is Freedom! Enjoy the ride :) 

• Like 7

Hello and welcome aboard this magical Train....It takes you all the way to freedom ....

Congrats on your great 8 days...your first week is over ,and that's the hardest ..Knowledge ...this is the tool you might this mighty Demon with ....

Take the Daily Pledge ..it's a big tool to work with ...its a promise to yourself ,you don't smoke for the next 24 hrs...you,ll be surprised how quick the days click up..

We will support you 100% ....you can do this ...if we all did ..you can ...

We have lots of games and try to have fun...quitting doesn't have to be doom and gloom ...

• Like 7

High Dizzy.  So glad you lurked and finally decided to join us.  This forum finally turned out to be my success story.  This wonderful group of people know how to hold you up along that rough road of quitting.  

Quitting is truly just a short period of discomfort and then learning to redirect your thoughts.  Life without cigarettes is an awesome, powerful feeling.  

I look forward to helping you along your journey. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, DizzyD said:

Hi everyone,

Have been lurking here long time but having made 8 days nicotine/ smoke free have decided I need a wee ( a lot) of help. Have still constant urging but really don’t want to so any advice would be gratefully received. I think there’s something wrong with my brain as in it won’t shut up lol!!!

Hello Dizzy one, welcome to our merry band of quitters !

I thought there was something wrong with my brain not shutting up,  also

and you know what was wrong ?  It was an addled and addicted brain.

I didn't realize that I had been harassed by nicotine every 20 minutes or so for 40 something YEARS !

Once I understood, I didn't feel so nutty.  Once I understood, I consciously began to switch up my brain patterns.

I kept yelling, 'FREE YOUR HEAD!"

I took screaming hot showers.

I drank water.  I ate all the Satsumas in town.

Finally, I was able to replace a smokey thought with something of beauty, a sensory delight.

'that light on that leaf' or 'the taste explosion of that Satsuma',  I would listen intently to that piece of music or, luxuriate in that warm embryonic wind...

This technique helped me the most. 

Oh ! Don't forget to reward yourself while you re-boot your brain.

Check this out, The Significance of Rewards.

Congratulations on your quit !

Eight days of Freedom WON !

Soon, you will have your brain back.

Sometimes quitters slog through a fog for a while.

This is just the healing process.

You don't smoke anymore.

Yay you.

• Like 8

Hi Dizzy, welcome aboard :) Eight days quit already means you've got hell week done and dusted, well done! I think what drove me crazy was the constant thinking about cigarettes until one day I woke up and realized half way through the day that I hadn't. 

I did find that keeping myself busy on the forum by reading, supporting, celebrating and socializing really helped keep my mind off my misery. And I made some great friendships along the way with people from all over the world. 

• Like 7

Hi Dizzy and Welcome to the train. 8 days is amazing, you are growing stronger each day. As others have said, rewards  are great, reward yourself each week, even if its only something small, see your saved money grow, that is a good thing too.

Stay determined, pamper yourself, keep reading and posting, you will get there 🤗

• Like 7

Dizzy, 8 days already -- great job.  Welcome aboard for this journey, stick with it and you will not only reap the benefits of quitting you will also make some great friends.  Lots of information and people ready to help.  Yeah, the brain is kind of noisy for a couple of weeks but it settles down to the new you -- just keep on top of it.  What really helps is doing the daily NOPE pledge, it really does help!!!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, DizzyD said:

Have still constant urging but really don’t want to so any advice would be gratefully received. 

First of, welcome! Nice to have you here and thanks for introducing yourself.

I bet you are busy all the time, fighting specific moments...like, after dinner, first of the day, coffee etc. I wrote it all down at the time, to get a more honest view on things conquered. Our brains are experts in deceiving, for example thinking on day 8 its still as bad as the first few days. While in reality its... a different bad, ha! 

Are you planning on keeping a diary?

• Like 7

Welcome aboard Dizzy.  Congratulations on making a great decision.

12 hours ago, DizzyD said:

I think there’s something wrong with my brain as in it won’t shut up lol!!!

Chemical dependency combined with years of conditioning did a number on all of our brains.  Good news is: you're already well into the process of reprogramming your brain.  With every craving denied, new neural pathways are being created in your brain.

I turned a corner in my quit when I stopped fighting the thoughts.  Recognized them for what they are: fleeting thoughts that lead to momentary feelings.  In doing so, I realized that the thoughts have as little or as much power as I give them.  There was nothing to fear.  I was in control.

You are doing one of the best things you can do for yourself.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 9

Welcome, Dizzy! So glad to have you aboard the Train!

8 days is impressive! The first week is tough, and you've already conquered it. Way to go!

The advice I have for you is to distract yourself as much as possible. Come here and read posts. Participate in the games--they are a fun distraction. Read up on addiction to help you better understand the beast you are fighting. Take lots of very deep breaths. Really fill those lungs with oxygen. Remind yourself how important it is to be able to breathe. Drink water to flush toxins from your body. And, most of all, rest secure in the knowledge that it WILL get easier over time. I promise. I just hit 10 weeks today, and I'm amazed at how much better I'm doing already. Time seems to drag in the beginning, I know. But eventually those smoke-free days will start to fly by, and you'll be amazed to see them add up!

Again, welcome aboard!

• Like 7

Welcome aboard, Dizzy.  Quitting smoking is a truly awesome thing to do and I am glad you have made this choice.

Stick around this site.  There is a lot of knowledge and support you can get here that can help you quit for good.

It is great to have you here!

• Like 5

Welcome aboard the QTrain, DizzyD! Woot Woot.....you are already 25% through the first month which we all know is the toughest one! Congrats! Educate yourself about the addiction and read, read, read through everything here...and participate, it will really help you! Carry on and KTQ! 😎 

• Like 5

Thank you all for your great replies. Am determined to do this so appreciate all your help. Still haven’t found the mute button for my brain so if you see a nutty woman wandering around with her fingers in her ears muttering NOPE you’ll know who it is 🙉🤪

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Hi Jeana and welcome to Quit Train :) Glad to hear you have decided to take back your life by quitting this horrible addiction. The benefits you will receive from doing this are more than you imagine at this point. Read all you can about this addiction here. There are many resources including a series of videos on a separate page. Stick close to the board and let us know how you're doing as well as any concerns you might have with quit challenges you might be having. We have ALL been through it and can maybe give you some good suggestions for meeting those early challenges.. We will support you all the way to freedom!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jeana919 said:

Hi everyone I’m new I’m trying to quit I haven’t smoked since last night and threw my pack in the garbage 

Welcome aboard ...

Take time to read all you can here... There is tons of great information ,tips ,to get you going ...

Knowledge is the tool you fight with ...you outsmart the Demon...

Looking forward to getting to know you better...

• Like 2