Isn't the thought of death enough to make people quit?

JB 883

I am on another forum (nothing to do with smoking or not) but someone brought up how coffins just seemed like a waste of money, too much of a luxury for a corpse.

Anyways I mentioned not wanting to know any details of my own death. I am mid 40's and when I was 38, my mom died. That was kind of something that made me realize that death means business.

When I threw away my last cigarette in Oct 2017, one thing I had recurring thoughts of before I quit was, "What if this really does kill me early than I would like to die?

I mean my breath rattled at night, I could not laugh without coughing, everything stank of smoke, blood pressure was a little high...

I honest to God thought I would be dead by age 60 if I kept smoking. That is a little early. I would like to make it to at least age 75.

I just wonder if it's common for people in their 40's to start having recurring thoughts of death. If so, why would anyone this age or older STILL puff away on those cancer sticks?

Some of these young smokers do not think about death of course but they will someday.

Think about this - most forums lose members because they got banned over something, or maybe they got mad and just left. Forums like this sometimes lose members because their respiratory problems got the best of them. At what age though do smokers say, "Hmm, I would rather live a few more years than smoke this piece of crap cigarette".

Sometimes I still want a cigarette but I am not dieing for one.

• Like 7

I was in deep denial over health issues attributed to smoking

and if I ever thought about them,  I didn't care.

Health was not a factor in my quitting.

My freedom was the main impetus.

I don't really have a fear of dying.

I still think I am going to live forever, lol.

• Like 7

Some people don't value life like we do. They flat out dont care. My mother got a health scare when she couldn't breathe and quit, why wait till we get that scare? Most of us do, i have sinus issues and  i would always buy advil cold and sinus pills to open me back up instead of quitting... Took me years but after i quit i don't need the pills anymore . My good friend quit and it was after we were on the phone and we were laughing and he was choking he quit and went back, when i asked him why he went back he got upset so i stopped. Same goes for drinking, eating healthy. People get defensive and lash back at you when you try to help. When they ask i offer help now and i love that "When the student is ready....the teacher appears". Dead on... I like that one

• Like 6

I took the approach that I was dying for the day I was born, I might as well be "happy" while i was here cos I was gunna die anyway. I kid you not my health had nothing to do with quitting. I still can't pin why I quit probably money but more resentment that the smokes were in control not me.

• Like 8

Cigarettes are just so addictive that even dying people can't stop smoking them. 

I used to think people cared more about smoking than themselves and their families when they chose them over life. I even used to say I would rather live two years less and smoke than have the extra two years and be miserable without smoking.

Babs is spot on in that fear keeps smokers smoking more - even when they could die. 

I think it was Reci who recently said something that sums this addiction up for me. He said something on the lines of the transition from non smoker to smoker is so easy but smoker to non smoker is not so easy. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. 

• Like 6

Smokers only fear that they might succeed in quitting.  It was years before I could tell myself that cigarettes were killing me.  If you are talking to someone about quitting, start by telling them not to be afraid.

• Like 8

I think that most smokers figure out at some time that cigarettes are in fact compromising their quality of life and in fact may even die due to smoking.  That is when the fear might set in -- fear of no longer having a "lifelong friend" or dying to a enemy that they themselves have created (kind of a fear of their own stupidity).  These are thoughts that do not come up when we begin smoking but at some point this idea slaps us in the face, then we have to face what indeed is comfortable to us -- for me it was quitting!!!!

• Like 7

'...The memory of her last few months haunts me. She was in so much pain and couldn't breathe. Watching your loved one go through something like this is heartbreaking and if this email stops just one person from taking a puff, then I feel that it's worth it.'

https://whyquit.com/whyquit/Memorial.html

Not only would you die early,  chances are you'd put your loved ones up with awfull memories. Ten times worse than just dying if you ask me.  These stories are actually real. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Smoking takes all the fear of dying away...

Last year I watched my best friend take her last breath hours after her last cigarette.....

Thankfully I had the strength to quit ,when I got my health scare...me and my feet have had over 5 years more together..and God willing many more...

• Like 7

The fact is the addiction always over road what the consequences were going to be.  I feared dying from smoking but also feared not smoking.  It wasn't until some kindhearted, caring people stood beside me and guided me to the other side.  I never thought I was strong enough to do it.  They showed me differently.  For that I will always be grateful and hope that I can help others.

• Like 8

I remember feeling very mortal early in my quit and actually still to this day. As a smoker I felt invinsible I suppose. Too busy smoking, too much in denial to see what's really happening. 

But it was a lung cancer diagnosis that prompted my quit. And that young mum that got diagnosed did die shortly after diagnosis. 

Her getting diagnosed just clicked something in me. She wasn't old. She was young. Had a wonderful husband...children. I dinny want that to me and seen for the first time ever that it could be. 

So yes I think the thought of death is absolutely enough to make people quit. And it's really pretty straight forward once you realise these fags will kill you. 

Other quit reasons in previous quits, those quits were hard for me and I never managed longer than 22 days. 

• Like 9

"We're all gonna die from something...what are you gonna do?"

That and: "I could quit smoking and live longer, but where's the fun in that?"

I was an addict.  Any acknowledgement that my addiction was going to kill me was masked by denial and delusion.  Throw in a bit of gallows humor and I was ready to totally ignore the realities and consequences of my decision to continue smoking.

I was so delusional while smoking, I convinced myself that cigarettes were such an integral part of an enjoyable life that the risks involved with smoking were worth it.

Addiction breeds delusional thinking.  Delusional thinking shapes your perception.  Your perception becomes your reality. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Boo said:

"We're all gonna die from something...what are you gonna do?"

That and: "I could quit smoking and live longer, but where's the fun in that?"

I was an addict.  Any acknowledgement that my addiction was going to kill me was masked by denial and delusion.  Throw in a bit of gallows humor and I was ready to totally ignore the realities and consequences of my decision to continue smoking.

I was so delusional while smoking, I convinced myself that cigarettes were such an integral part of an enjoyable life that the risks involved with smoking were worth it.

Addiction breeds delusional thinking.  Delusional thinking shapes your perception.  Your perception becomes your reality. 

Same.

Particularly this: "I was so delusional while smoking, I convinced myself that cigarettes were such an integral part of an enjoyable life that the risks involved with smoking were worth it."

• Like 7

One of those stories a man mentioned his brother died because he was addicted to Marlboros. Now I understand all cigarettes are equally lethal but something about that particular brand pisses me off. Might sound strange but I always thought of that company as the "asshole" of the tobacco industry. Of course I am not at all a fan of anything that is overly masculine.

9 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Smoking takes all the fear of dying away...

Last year I watched my best friend take her last breath hours after her last cigarette.....

Thankfully I had the strength to quit ,when I got my health scare...me and my feet have had over 5 years more together..and God willing many more...

I am guessing when the doctor explained how you could lose your feet if you do not quit is probably the BIGGEST scare you have ever had in your life? That would **** with someone's head. But since you are quit and plan on keeping them until the end, might I recommend a few different brands of shoes -

Saucony makes the best overall street shoes. Good style, comfortable, durable, all at a fair price.

Clark's makes some nice sandals.

B.O.C. makes the most comfortable high heel wedge sandals. The bottoms are cushioned so you won't die after 5 minutes of walking in them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Black said:

Saucony makes the best overall street shoes. Good style, comfortable, durable, all at a fair price.

Clark's makes some nice sandals.

B.O.C. makes the most comfortable high heel wedge sandals. The bottoms are cushioned so you won't die after 5 minutes of walking in them.

Nah Doreen ....

Kmart makes double pluggers, the thongs of champions.... Havaianas make slightly fancy thongs in many pretty colours....Berkinstock make the overpriced thongs of Europeans and Hipsters.... Blundstone and RM Williams for ya boots, Dunlop for ya runners and UGGs for comfort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks ladies ..for all your recommendations....

I'm so grateful to have my feet ..I do go for comfort now ...had to hang up my high heels....I treat them with respect....

Jo !!!!....love my Australian Hugg boots...best thing ever...

• Like 2

Just to remind folks ....It's not just your lungs and heart that smoking effects ....my lungs were fine...I didn't have a cough ...smoking can effect any part of the body ....and it not always where you expect ....

My friend had Pancreatic Cancer.....it was far to late by the time symptoms showed....when she was given her diagnosis ,she carried on smoking ...she believed all the lies that surround this killer addiction...very sad ...

In answer to your question  JB.....Yes ....I was very scared....

When I joined these great people ,I didn't know whether it was too late....

I owe this board alot ....

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

My friend had Pancreatic Cancer.....it was far to late by the time symptoms showed....when she was given her diagnosis ,she carried on smoking ...she believed all the lies that surround this killer addiction...very sad ...

My dad died of esophageal cancer and by the time he was diagnosed it also was too late. He smoked up until the ambulance came to take him for his last ride. At that point why not smoke? He was dying anyway and couldn't swallow to eat. The damage was done...………...

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

I thought smoking would help me grow up faster so I could be an adult and call the shots in my own life.  For me, smoking was freedom.  I finally quit when I was out on a busy hiking trail, and there were older people trotting up mountains, and I was at the bottom gasping while my poor dog waited patiently by my side.   Other peoples' dogs were having a blast, running up the trail.  But my dog had to stand next to me while I wheezed and struggled, and it was just humiliating.  I wasn't thinking about my health, I was just thinking about my lack of dignity.  Sounds so crazy!!!  But there it is.  I just want my dignity, and I also want my genuine freedom, that I gave up the day I started smoking.  

• Like 7

my dad smoked till the day he died at the ripe old age of 56. and yet I smoked for years after word my self but 6 years ago I took my life back and quit. with a lot of help from the great people on here. I will be 56 july 12th so yes I does bother me. but I wont ever smoke again  so if you haven't quit do so now.  its so worth it. sorry my ticker is off but cant get it to count up. so just leaving it as is.

Edited by jimmy
  • Like 4