Hello Again

Lilly

Lilly, 

Are you on NRTs ?

Have you being advised by a counselor ?

What kind of counselor are they ?

Do you have a plan that you worked out ?

Answer if you will, I think it would be helpful for those newly quit or about to jump into a quit.

It will also be helpful to your supporters in guiding you the best way.

It is always very exciting starting a new adventure, use your exuberance to solidify your commitment to yourself.

Your smiles will be rewarded.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Lilly, 

Are you on NRTs ?

Have you being advised by a counselor ?

What kind of counselor are they ?

Do you have a plan that you worked out ?

Answer if you will, I think it would be helpful for those newly quit or about to jump into a quit.

It will also be helpful to your supporters in guiding you the best way.

It is always very exciting starting a new adventure, use your exuberance to solidify your commitment to yourself.

Your smiles will be rewarded.

I did see a Quit Smoking Counsellor. We have places where you can just walk in, have a chat and you get free NRT for 8 weeks. They gave me patches but I haven't put one on yet. The plan is to use the strongest one for 8 weeks, step down for two weeks and then step down to the lowest one for another two weeks 😀

• Like 7

I've used the free nhs stop smoking service twice. The first one was brilliant. A group of about 20 people met at a local hall weekly. And we actually smoked for the first three weeks and just learned about quitting and got a plan....got prepared. Then boom we all quit! That was a champix quit for me but it didn't last long. But that team spirit really felt great.

Second time they changed the format and it was just a weekly drop in service where you'd get like 15 minutes one to one with a counsellor. And you could mix with other quitters waiting. That was still good but felt less of a team. Low and behold they shut for two weeks over Christmas!! And that was me back on the fags!

I really liked having that weekly meet and having someone check up on me. They measure your co2 and it was rewarding seeing that going down and down. 

This time round I used the pharmacy service which isn't as good. They are not stop smoking counsellors. But I got my weekly meet, free NRT and they measured my co2. So still a very good service. 

This wee bit of extra support will help you im sure Lily! I used the patches for about 3 - 4 weeks. I really found them awesome and they basically took away the urge. So all I had was 'time for a fag'...'oh no it's not, I dont smoke' thoughts! 

I was really firm on not entertaining these thoughts. Don't torture yourself. I always said to myself don't let a thought turn into a crave. Just squash it, bat it away! Move on!! 

• Like 6

Keep a list of all the reasons you want to quit close to you all the time Lilly. On your phone or written on paper so you can pull that out and read them any time you have a smoking thought. Focusing on all the positives your are gaining by quitting and knowing that the only reason you don't already have those things is because of smoking might just help you readjust your thinking more quickly. See the positives - not the negatives :) 

• Like 3

Thanks so much everyone. 

Not having the best day. Not quit wise but patch wise. After about half an hour my arm was so painful. The only way I can describe it is it feels like someone has been repeatedly punching me in the arm. I spent the first hour convincing myself I was about to have a heart attack 🙄🙄  I bought some lower strength ones and will try them tomorrow to see if that makes any difference. 

I'm doing my positive thinking Reci 😀 That tip was a great one thank you. 

I'm back at work tomorrow as can't stand another day stuck at home. I won't be able to post as much but will log in straight away from my phone if I'm struggling. 

@WeegieWoman you've given me hope with the patches. The clinic I went to did my co2 reading, gave a bit of advice then gave me the NRT.  It's in a hall so met lots of other people quitting while I was waiting. Did you get any side effects?

I love you lot so much ♥️♥️

• Like 3

No negative side effects but my pal got really itchy skin from them. But he put up with that as they helped so much with stopping smoking!! 

Where did you put it? I'm sure a weaker strength will ease your symptoms a bit. And you could maybe try a different part of your body? I generally always put them top outside of my arms but I've heard of people putting them all over the place! 

I'd give it another day for sure and see how you get on. If your still struggling may need to think of an alternative. I was given patches and lozenges at the start of my quit.

Going back to work will only help your quit I reckon. And that's good you're fit enough to go back to work 😉

• Like 3

I put it at the top of my arm on outside. More or less where you would get an injection. They also gave a second NRT so I have a back up. I like the idea of the patches - slap it on in the morning and forget about it so hoping the lower strength is better. 

I got given the inhalator too but trying not to use those unless I get really desperate. 

I'm looking forward to work. I feel well I'm just a bit wiped out. They said I could feel like that for a few weeks so can't wait for that to pass. 

Really appreciate hearing about your experience with the patch x

Edited by Lilly
  • Like 2

If the Step #1 patches are a problem maybe try to go back to the place you got them and discuss with them? They may have some suggestions for you including advise about starting with a lower dose patch. Just a suggestion.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

If the Step #1 patches are a problem maybe try to go back to the place you got them and discuss with them? They may have some suggestions for you including advise about starting with a lower dose patch. Just a suggestion.

Thanks Reci. The patch is 21mg of nicotine. I was working it out just now and each cigarette has 0.5mg of nicotine. Even smoking 30 a day I would have only been taking in 15mg so maybe it is just a lot more than my body is used to 😮

• Like 1

Congratulations LilIy!!

The research I have found is that most cigarettes delivers about 1mg of nicotine. But I think it depends on how you smoke. I don’t think the 21 mg patch is too much for you.

I used the patch. It’s a long story but my father had them mailed to me.

I started with a 21 mg and if I remember correctly used it for about six or seven weeks. I Always had two patches on at once, with one of them being 48 hours old.

I smoked nearly 2 packs of cigarettes a day. 

Move the patch around. Don’t ever put it in the same place twice. Hell, put it on your ass if you have to. I found that the shoulder blade area worked best for me. 

Make it work!

Cigarettes do nothing for us. They take away our time, our money and our health.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&source=hp&ei=ZnKJXPWKLueI_QbntaegDw&q=+how+much+nicotine+is+in+one+cigarette+&oq=+how+much+nicotine+is+in+one+cigarette+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.3..0l8.4501.8759..9237...0.0..0.94.618.10......0....1.......8..41j0i131j46i275.xk1MRNN6pf0

Edited by Octain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Octain. I will try the shoulder blade area tomorrow and see how that goes. I've decided not to sleep with it tonight. I've taken it off, had a bath and have come to bed. 

I've got through a whole day so despite the pain they obviously help 😀

• Like 5

One day is miraculous! 

We did whatever we had to do to get that cigarette. We walked in the snow, the rain, and the heat to get a cigarette. Why wouldn’t we use that same energy to stay away from them?

Pfft.  If I can do it, anyone can.

• Like 5

Fantastic work on day 1. It does sound like that patch is a bit much but they really do aggravate you I think. Can still work though and if you like the idea then why not. I'd maybe step down a patch though if you think it's too much.

Keep talking too. It's the information and education that stops us relapsing. I'm sorry to say it but we have a junkies brain and we have to get past it, so dig in and we've got you. Failure is not an option and all that. If you can do anything except smoke, that's a mighty big list of things to do. Maybe create an actual "distract my brain" list. Things you can do to swerve the thoughts. They are only thoughts. You already said you don't want to smoke and I know that's the truth of it. We all do. The problem is short term the nicotine addiction but that passes so quickly, like 72 hours without nicotine in your body (although using patches prolongs that but creates a safety feeling elsewhere-each to their own). But your bigger issue is your own junkie mind...telling you, we would smoke here.....hello...hello...we would smoke here. It's mentally uncomfortable but not damaging to tell your brain, hey thanks for the reminder but we quit, we don't smoke now. This message eventually replaces the old message and voila!

I know I'm further down the road but I don't ever forget the journey it took to get me here and I want you toknow 100%, there is nothing that would make me want to smoke now or ever, nothing. It controlled me and I never signed up to that. You will feel the same, I promise. Just persevere.

Much love. x

• Like 4

I really needed to read these posts tonight so thank you for all your great advice. 

So today I went back to work. Obviously everyone who passed me stopped to check how I was. I told each and every one of them I had quit smoking. So the first guy I told just laughed and said you haven't quit smoking if you're wearing a patch. I'll come and congralute you when that comes off. I was a bit shocked but never said anything. 

Seriously EVERY time someone spoke to me he would pipe up with his oh she hasn't quit yet as she's wearing a patch. 

I asked him after an hour why he kept saying I hadn't quit and he said because you've still got nicotine going in all day.

I was there for 9 hours and this went on all day. I got in the car to come home, drove up the road then burst into tears. I feel really deflated and like he sucked every bit of positivity out of me.

I get that people have an opinion on NRT but I don't get why he just kept going on and on and on. 

I'm 20 minutes away from completing another day so have come to my safe haven to see the people who get it ☹️

• Sad 2

Lilly, it sounds like this guy is a total douche, pardon the expression. Next time he says "I'll come congratulate you when the patch comes off," respond with, "And I'll congratulate you when your attitude doesn't suck!"

You are doing great. Don't let one major douchebag ruin your quit for you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, first of all, he is a jerk (excuse me).  Some people get joy out of making you feel smaller than you are.  He should have been encouraging you for your efforts.  

Lilly don't let anyone bring you down.  Remember, you are running that marathon and doing this for yourself and not anyone else.  Stay focused on the forum.  We know what you are experiencing.  There is nothing wrong with using NRT to attain your goal.  Hang tough.  I know you will make it.  

• Like 5