If you're a smoker, quit now

Whispers

'If you're a smoker, quit now,' Albany lung cancer victim writes in his obituary

Associated Press |

Feb 20, 2019 | 11:55 AM

Geoff Turner died from lung cancer due to smoking — but he didn't want others to suffer the same fight. (Sue Ogrocki / Associated Press)

ALBANY — An upstate man who recently died of lung cancer has a simple message in his obituary: “If you're a smoker — quit now.”

The Times Union of Albany reports 66-year-old Geoff Turner wanted to warn others not to make his mistake in a self-written obituary published Saturday.

The suburban Albany resident died Feb. 13, about three months after he was diagnosed with stage-four lung cancer.

Turner's daughter Sarah Huiest says he smoked most of his life. She says her father knew it was a bad habit, but he couldn't give it up.

Turner said in the obituary that he was “an idiot who made the same stupid decision, day after day.”

The obituary says to remember “life is good — don't let it go up in smoke.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny-metro-lung-cancer-victim-20190220-story.html

RIP, Geoff Turner

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Every time I read something like this, I wonder how much the person wishes he or she would have quit long ago when they got that nagging voice we have ALL heard in our minds saying, "This habit needs to stop."

Like, "Well, I will quit someday, but it is so hard!"

I wonder if it would be even harder to find out you have lung cancer.

For the other quitters here, I say really be thankful you found the strength to stop the habit before it stopped you.

One just HAS to tell the cigarette, "Good bye you -----ing G.D. worthless piece of life-ending ----.

• Like 1