Ok so this is kind of a re-introduction thread... it gives the newbies a chance to meet the regulars and visiting oldies without having to fill in blanks....

Name: notsmokinjo

AKA: jo, looney bird

Quit Date: 28 Nov 2017

About Me: I'm slightly insane, I use a lot of Aussie slang or Strine cos I'm from Straya... but I'm never insulted if you ask for a translation.

Why I quit: It was time

Biggest bit of advice: One day at time, only every quit for 24 hours, I just keep doing it every day... and it gets easier, one day at a time.

Tag your it.....

Edited by notsmokinjo
Um quit date was 12 months out - thanks Saz
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Great idea.!!!!

Hi I'm Doreensfree../ Doorbell / Horney Toad ....

Been smoke free over 5 years after Smoking 52 years....Quit due to having  a both feet amputation scare...

Living with a partner with end stage Emphysema / Alzheimer's....

Met the most wonderful people on this Train...we are a family....

My advice ....Don't over think !!!.....it's doable ...you just need to want it bad enough !!!! If I can anyone can ...

Next !!!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I'm Sazarac.

After smoking for 40 something years, I quit on a whim  (cold turkey ) in late October 2013.

I lurked for nearly a year and  jumped on the train August 2014 to thank everyone for helping me quit.

Stuck around, off and on, to learn more about my nicotine addiction,  to spread the word and for the camaraderie.

I try to make myself useful by rummaging through the archives and pulling out helpful threads.

The story doesn't change much. 

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction.

Commit yourself to your quit, protect your quit, reward yourself and power through.

You are more powerful than any crave and your power and confidence will blossom throughout the process.

The freedom from nicotine addiction is delicious.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

G’day I’m Chris 

You guessed it another Aussie. 

Insanity doesn’t run in my family it gallops.

I broke up with Miss NicOtine 0830 sat 10 oct 2015. I celebrate the first cig I didn’t smoke rather last that I did. 

On a personal note I firmly believe in any relationship breakup that its good to hate. It’s good to say things that you can never take back or unsay.

Yes thats right amiss nicO you never made my bum look small, that was a lie!

Living next to the international date line I get to start the NOPE pledge. ( yes this is a plug).

So that’s NOPE...... Not One Puff Ever. 

And if the “Ever” bit doesn’t fit you it can insert “Ever minute, every hour or every day, it is about you. 

Dont forget though, I may have a white beard but I’m not Santa.... I’m not keeping a list and checking it twice...... Use the NOPE pledge as you need.

Chris

• Like 14

Hi,

I am Linda

I smoked for 42 years.  I tried many different things to quit - hypnosis,  smoking cessation clinics, the patch and gum but nothing seemed to work.  I was starting to accept the fact I was going to die from a smoking related illness.  I was so ashamed of my smoking that I became a closet smoker.  

I came across the Quit Forum when I was searching for ways to quit.  I started reading the information and posts and then joined.  To my amazement I was able to quit cold turkey and am working on being 7 months smoke free.

So what is the magic of this forum.  It is a place of continued support, humor and comfort.  They actually made me realize that I had the power to do this myself and that it really was only going to be uncomfortable for a short period of time.  They showed me the path to freedom and great pride in myself.  I am so grateful for the community here.

Now I have a much better addiction - being a part of this forum and helping others to realize they can quit smoking.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Name: Jet Black

AKA: JB

Quit Date: October 6 2017

About Me: I tend to treat everything as a big joke. I never "smoked" but I did have lung sex, put nails in the coffin, roasted tobacco, took a breath of fresh air...

My name has something to do with my avatar and nothing to do with the color of my sexy lungs.

Why I quit: Got tired of the mess involved. Plus I am too cheap to spend money on nicotine. Clothing and junk food are more important.

As comical as it was to slowly kill myself by smoking, I was losing the ability to laugh without choking.

Biggest bit of advice: For the love of God do NOT get married or have kids!

Edited by Jet Black
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Hi I'm WeegieWoman.  And i am a weegie ie a Glaswegian. I smoked from around 14 to 33. Quit date November 6th 2017. 

Why I quit - I quit on a whim at the end of a week where three people I know got diagnosed with cancer. I'd had 6 planned quits before this quit which never lasted more than 22 days. I used patches and lozenges for the first few weeks and after a while just didn't need them. 

Advice- don't freak out about being on NRT, how long you'll be on it, how you'll get off it. Just don't smoke. And hang around here a lot, get yourself a quit gang. Reach out and pm members. 

You'll only really find me in the games now, in not too good at paying it forward! But come and say hi in the games anytime ?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone, I'm Tammy (Tamanna) from Mumbai India.

I started smoking pretty late in my life (not that I'm complaining) and smoked for around 10 years roughly attempting to quit twice along the way before realizing I'm just kidding myself and I need to admit I have an addiction.

Quit cold turkey on a hot, sultry June afternoon in Mumbai (I think the heat did have something to do with quitting, wasn't worth getting roasted while setting a stick on fire in my mouth) and have been quit ever since.

Had more than my share of scares and triggers along the way, but this dedicated, amazing, supportive, funny and shiny bunch of people always picked me up when I was down. Made good friends along the way so really I have won big time with QT. 

I try to get on and take the pledge daily (it really helps me) and be a part of the celebrations, because every day spent saying no to this filthy addiction is a win and should be celebrated.

Edited by Tammy
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

HELLO EVERYONE!!  :150_raising_hand:

Name:  Barb

AKA:  Babs, Babbles, backseat babs, moderator

Quit Date:  July 13, 2012 :88_raised_hands:

About me:  In a very good place in my life and grateful for every day I wake up.  :100_pray:

Why I quit:  My dad died from lung cancer.  I battled and battled with many failed attempts.  Then my daughter told me I was going to be a grandmother for the first time.  That was my sign.  THIS child will NEVER know me as a smoker.  She just turned 6  :9_innocent:

My advice:  Smoking thoughts still come back even years later.  :35_thinking: They are brief but that little nagging bugger is still there.  It is STILL stronger than me.  But, I am way smarter than IT.  The addiction doesn't have a brain, I do.  :27_sunglasses:  Knowledge is power.  That stupid idea that one puff will give me that "ahhhh" feeling it wants....well that's just an illusion.  It doesn't exist now that I am a non smoker.  I would cough...hate it...be disappointed that I did it...and swear to never take another puff.  Only now...I woke up the little bugger...and he will show his nasty existence again even sooner this time...and stronger.  and the nightmare begins again.  NO THANKS!!!!  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Jillar here

quit Memorial day weekend 2016

I'm a silly wabbit who wants to pay it forward for all the help that was given me in my first year

My advice, stay glued to the board and take the one year pledge. For me supporting my fellow quitters really helped keep my mind off my own misery.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2019 at 7:22 AM, notsmokinjo said:

Ok so this is kind of a re-introduction thread... it gives the newbies a chance to meet the regulars and visiting oldies without having to fill in blanks....

Name: The Sarge

AKA: That JackAss

Quit Date: some time 7 or 8 years ago ... so long ago Sarge forgets ... 

About Me: the one you love to hate.

Why I quit: Medical issues
Biggest bit of advice: someone else's success/ease isn't the cause of your failure/struggle.

EZPZ

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Name's Boo.  Quit killing myself with the smokes back on March 9, 2016.  

Quit for a variety of reasons.  However, the loss of control over my own life was my primary motivation to quit.  Cigarettes dominated my entire day to a point where it felt like the smokes were steering the ship and I was just along for the ride.  I'd had enough of that nonsense.

Biggest piece of advice: keep it simple.  Quitting smoking could not be more simple.  Don't put things in your mouth and light them on fire.  You don't have to do anything, you just refrain from doing that one thing.

About me...I spend a lot of time throwing tennis balls in the backyard...now would be a good time to mention that I have a dog who loves to fetch.  I enjoy running around in the woods, climbing things, and paddling canoes.  I like to pick up heavy stuff, what most folks call weightlifting.  I've recently started studying the philosophy of the Stoics.  I listen to a lot of music, but have no musical ability of my own.  I enjoy dirty jokes.  And as I get older, I really appreciate a good night's sleep and a pair of comfortable socks.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Name: Jenny

AKA: An Egg, Dori, Moderator

Quit Date: May 24, 2012

About Me:   I am amazed each and every day at how much better life is as a non smoker.  I love this board and the awesome people who contribute to it.  If just one person quit smoking because I shared my story or cheered them on....that would be just amazing.  Off topic-I'm obsessed with Cats!

Why I quit: Health issues became to many to continue to ignore.  

Advice: Throw all thoughts that you can't quit or that it's too hard to quit out the window!  The tobacco companies want you to believe that and your addiction wants you to believe it but its not true!  Quitting is not impossible or even overly difficult.  Decide to do it and then just don't smoke, no matter what.  Once you quit I can promise you that there will come a day when you will not even be able to remember why you wanted to smoke to begin with. True story.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

My name is Johnny and I quit smoking a little over 4 years ago after being a smoker for a little over 20 years.

I had made a number of attempts to quit smoking that were very short lived but I found that the support and knowledge you can get from a quit smoking forum like this can really help you quit for good.

If you are new to your quit, stick around here...read, participate, be entertained by some entertaining and funny folks.  It can really help you reach your forever-quit.  Knowledge and support makes a world of difference.  Entertaining distraction really helps too.

I realize now that I was quite miserable as a smoker for the last few years that I continued to light up.  Quitting smoking was one of the best things I've ever done and I love to see others succeed in this as well.  

Life as a non-smoker is so much better than all the BS you have to deal with as a smoker.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Name: Rozuki

AKA: Roz, RockStar

Quit Date: 2/10/17, a day I will never forget!!!

About Me: One Lucky Lady

Why I quit: Medical issues (after 40+ years of smoking!!!)
Biggest bit of advice: Take it one day at a time and the days will add up quickly...which empowers you to keep it going!!! Join an online support group, being here was invaluable to my  quit and still is!!!! ?

Edited by Rozuki
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Quitdate: 22nd of august, 2018. Next week I'll be hiring a trumpet orchestra to bring news of MLMR's Six Months Victory!

I had multiple reasons to quit. I want to get rid of anxiety and depression, or at least establish a new understanding with them. I want to run stairs without the feeling of no oxygen. I want to feel my age (35). I want to be happier! And about a 100 reasons more. Ive been rewarded so far with a much calmer mind. It's not always easy going yet, but steady and determined nonetheless and it seems Im scaring Mr. Black Dog Depression away with that determination.

My advice would be to push yourself from the early days on to conciously look at the beauty of your quit. Scream and be annoyed when you have to, but purposely return to that point where you can connect with your decision to quit and register how far youve come, whether it's about hours, days or months. Time will ALWAYS pass and it will get easier.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Howdy! I’m Lust4Life

AKA: L4L, Lust, Lusty

Quit: Sept 26, 2016 making me a member of the awesome 2016 Buttkickers gang.

Why? I despised smoking more than I enjoyed it.  The importance of living healthier & longer  for my child (and myself) outweighed the “importance” of feeding this addiction. 

I was was a closet smoker to most. Therefore, I had no Pomp and Circumstance when I quit or as my quit grew. I found joining a quit forum gave me the much needed outlet to vent about my quit and get much needed support and advice.  

The best thing (besides obvious health) is gaining back time and losing the anxiety assoc. with smoking (do I have enough, a lighter, do I stink, when will I be alone so I can smoke?).   

Edited by Lust4Life
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hey there everyone

Name:  Martian 5

AKA:  M5

Quit Date:  January 4th, 2018

About me:  Retired and now enjoying it much more due to quitting 

Why I quit:  Medical issues and I was just tired of having smoking control my life

My advice: Quitting is the most important thing that you can do no matter your age or how long you smoke -- it is never too late and will make life so much better.  It can be done.  One of the most enjoyable things that I have done was daily walking -- over a year ago it had become total torture, now I am back to enjoying my morning wall most every morning and back to a mile and a half and getting longer by the week (I cannot wait until spring to really see how far I can go)!!!!!

This site has helped me so much -- the help, advice, and friendship has made the journey so memorable. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Hello All-

Name: Wantsit

Quit date: November 2nd 5:46 PM

Why: I watched my dad fight throat cancer, 5 bypass surgery. He lost all his teeth from radiation along with his ability to make saliva.

His lungs were trashed and all I could do was watch him die a slow miserable death from smoking and I would light another up as I got in my pickup. After 40 years of smelling like a butt and waking up choking every day I decided NO MORE! It's been a bit of a struggle lately but have been able to say no the little  monster that keeps nudging me the last few days. He can knock but isn't coming in. I like being a non smoker and do not ever want to go back there. I do not want to ever feel like I did for a week and half. I am one day at a time, but it works.

This place and you all have been my  salvation during this. To that I say THANK YOU!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Name: abbynormal

AKA: abby

Quit Date: 1 Jan 2019

About Me: I'm a huge nerd with a fondness for off-color humor. I think I'll fit right in here. ?

Why I quit: When I think about why I quit, it all boils down to one thing--the cost. The cost to my health. The cost to my wallet. The cost to my relationships.

Biggest bit of advice: Just one is one too many. DFS.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1