2 Years and Counting

JimHannoonen

It’s been 2 years since I’ve had a smoke.That’s roughly 15,000 cigarettes not smoked. That number blows my mind.

2 years since I decided that living is more important than choosing to slowly kill myself.

2 years since I decided it was more important to grow old with the one that I love than to put something in my mouth and light it on fire.

It seems so long ago and far away that I hardly remember what it was like to be a smoker and sometimes even forget that I was.

2 years of freedom

It makes me mad that my old man, who was a hell of a lot tougher than I am, couldn’t quit. He’d give it up for lent every year (and what a miserable 40 days that was), but he’d start right back up every time.

It makes me sad that he chose smoking over me and my brothers and sisters. Cigarettes were more important than living to see his children and grandchildren grow old.

He smoked up to his final days and took his last breath at the age of 56. I think he would have been a cool old man, but I’ll never know.

**** cigarettes

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

you Know what makes me Mad !  My Father never smoked, Never Drank, didn't use salt, road his Bicycle to work and back every day for years,His biggest sin Dr Pepper.  He died of a Massive Heart attack age 67, that is seven years more than I am now.  

Super work on your two years Jim, I know the Forum would rather see you still quit than to Spank you with the wet noddles.   

Keep up the Great work,  Its good to have successful quiter to look up to.

Once again Jim 

1happyface6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot help but wonder why your dad never just quit completely if he was able to make it 40 days without. We all know the crave cycles and we also know if one can make it for 40 days, then staying off the cigarettes is not that hard by that point. The worst is the first week.

Assuming he passed roughly 20 years ago,  back then there wasn't as much support for people trying to quit.

41 minutes ago, JimHannoonen said:

Same reason millions of people die from smoking. He didn't want to quit. He loved smoking and didn't care that it would kill him.

Your father would be immensely proud that you have done what he couldn't do for himself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimHannoonen said:

Same reason millions of people die from smoking. He didn't want to quit. He loved smoking and didn't care that it would kill him.

Jim congratulations on your 2 year quit.   

It is so sad that you think of your dad that way.  I don't think his smoking had anything to do with the love of his children.  

I can tell you that, until I found this forum, I had tried many times to quit and  I grieved that I could not quit for my children and grandchildren.  

I was fortunate enough to find people like you to guide me through to my freedom.   I am so grateful to follow your example.

4 hours ago, JimHannoonen said:

People think they love smoking, until they are explained the truth about nicotine addiction.

Then they hate it !!!

Congratulations on your two years, keep going !!!

Cristóbal

10 hours ago, JimHannoonen said:

I think a lot of us enjoyed the calming effect.  We enjoyed that, but no the bad parts.

I imagine though when someone dies of smoking related illness, they probably didn't truly believe smoking would kill them. Some of us though, like myself, kept thinking, "What if I really could die early from smoking?"

Maybe some just come to that realization way too late.