Newborn Quitter

MLMR

Risking to come across as a raging Newborn Quitter... but heck, what an amazing load of bs goes around about quitting! 'It takes multiple tries to quit and that's ok!, 'Nicotine calms you down!' (Yes!! When you inhale that shit, AFTER you once started! It's like... an addiction  duhhh!! Otherwise it does nothing for you!). You were born without it, ffs.

This sentence, quote website NiQuitin -> 'Als je een regelmatige roker bent, is de kans groot dat het missen van je regelmatige shot nicotine leidt tot een sterk verlangen naar een sigaret.' Translates to, 'if you are regular smoker, there's a good chance that missing out on your regular shot of nicotine leads to a strong desire for a cigaret'. Wait, what..? Isn't that the whole fckn point? Seriously, who do they think they are adressing,  toddlers? This is what makes it an addiction! Besides,  'a good chance..' implicates there's room for doubt, for dreaming about being able to control the yearning. I did that for years and it made me totally hopeless.

It's crazy how much of this so called information gives a consistent message of how hard it is to quit, how understandable it is to fail, how it's basically ok to be a helpless victim, or even in the case of many vaping websites, to be proud to belong to this new generation of 'aware vapers'.... more enslaved than ever.

I remember earlier in my quit people said, be mad. Understand what's happening, how they do it, educate yourself and be angry! I think this is that. What you were talking about. It's crazy. I can't unsee it anymore. I don't need that shit in my body, I don't need it to poison my mind. The nicotine business, whether it's cigarettes, vaping, chewing, gum or you name it, that business is sick to it's core. There's people making zillions out of it and I walked straight in line...

Never, never ever again.

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Why are you angry?  I thought we were supposed to be angry at tobacco companies so why you so angry at people that are just trying to help others quit?  It might sound like BS to you but if it's helping someone else quit then surely that's a good thing. 

Millions of people quit smoking every day and they are doing it with that so called BS advice. 

It's great that you're however many months quit but don't knock what makes help others. 

Its all education - however it's put. 

• Confused 1

I think you have missed the point, @Lilly.

There is a lot of misinformation out there with regards to quitting.

One that incensed me was that cold turkey is too hard.

Here is an excerpt from my POST, June 13, 2016

"I quit almost three years ago
and have become an advocate of Cold Turkey

but, believe me,

I support and encourage everybody in their precious quits.
Any Quit Is A Good Quit

I thought to gather some new information

(in a galaxy of  Misinformation)
and was dismayed after googling around
finding numerous instances of 'responsible experts'
recommending to  NOT quit cold turkey.

What kind of idiotic advise is that ?
Is this more Big Tobacco poisoning minds ?
Big Drug companies pushing product ?
Ignorance ?

Today, I found a great rap about this from our Friend, Joel Spitzer

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Right we know I used NRT... Pretty sure noone missed that memo but that said I agree with the girls and I totally get why mlmr is angry. Saz hit the nail on the thread.... The info out there on a lot of places you look is the cold turkey is too hard and doomed to fail...I call bullshit.... It most certainly isn't too hard...look how many ct quitters we have here...it certainly isn't doomed to fail look at how many ct quitters we have here who are years in.... I'm the first to arch up and defend NRT and NRT quitters if I needs be....but mlmr wasn't posting that NRT is bad or pointless she was bemoaning the hypocracy of the misinformation issued by NRT providers to ensure they get business...misinformation that is basically bald faced lies.... That's worth being angry over.

• Like 3

The thing I read throughout your post MLMR is that mentally you have turned the corner on smoking. I have been reading that in your posts for the past little while and that's a great thing that you finally "get it"! Getting mad at the whole process that enslaved you for so long and everything to do with it is just fine and dandy in my books. Once you have that mindset, it will be almost impossible for you to relapse. That's the great news for you. How you got there matters not. Getting there is key. It's hard to get to this point without some very serious determination and a lot of self examination along the way. You've put in the work, now it's time to reap the rewards :) 

• Like 2

@Lilly, so you think there's plenty of solid, trustworthy, sensible information available, to aid people in their quits? Since thát was my point and you say you don't agree with it. 

@reciprocity, I am starting to get it yes, somehow the past few weeks have been speeding the proces up. Not only am I able to say 'nope' when life does strange and sometimes unexpected things, noping my way through makes everything better, or less sucky if you will. The craves and thoughts about smoking are NOTHING compared to the misery I'd definitely have about smoking through these same unexpected things. The stink, the shame, even keeping a distance from people because I was afraid I smelled. Imagine that, deliberately staying away. That is just sad. 

@Sazerac and @notsmokinjo, jep!

• Like 2

I just think it's naive to think that everything that is said is BS. It may well be to you and plenty of others BUT millions of people quit every day with the help of that so called BS. 

People quit years before the internet and they still quit without it. A lot of people quit successfully who attend quit groups and they spout that BS on a weekly basis. 

You may not like that BS but it works for some even if not for you. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:19 AM, MLMR said:

Risking to come across as a raging Newborn Quitter... but heck, what an amazing load of bs goes around about quitting! 'It takes multiple tries to quit and that's ok!, 'Nicotine calms you down!' (Yes!! When you inhale that shit, AFTER you once started! It's like... an addiction  duhhh!! Otherwise it does nothing for you!). You were born without it, ffs.

This sentence, quote website NiQuitin -> 'Als je een regelmatige roker bent, is de kans groot dat het missen van je regelmatige shot nicotine leidt tot een sterk verlangen naar een sigaret.' Translates to, 'if you are regular smoker, there's a good chance that missing out on your regular shot of nicotine leads to a strong desire for a cigaret'. Wait, what..? Isn't that the whole fckn point? Seriously, who do they think they are adressing,  toddlers? This is what makes it an addiction! Besides,  'a good chance..' implicates there's room for doubt, for dreaming about being able to control the yearning. I did that for years and it made me totally hopeless.

It's crazy how much of this so called information gives a consistent message of how hard it is to quit, how understandable it is to fail, how it's basically ok to be a helpless victim, or even in the case of many vaping websites, to be proud to belong to this new generation of 'aware vapers'.... more enslaved than ever.

I remember earlier in my quit people said, be mad. Understand what's happening, how they do it, educate yourself and be angry! I think this is that. What you were talking about. It's crazy. I can't unsee it anymore. I don't need that shit in my body, I don't need it to poison my mind. The nicotine business, whether it's cigarettes, vaping, chewing, gum or you name it, that business is sick to it's core. There's people making zillions out of it and I walked straight in line...

Never, never ever again.

this is a good post

• Like 1