Vacation fog

RoryPlog

Well friends, I have become one of them. One of what you ask? One of those folks about to rant about smokers :-)

I took a quick little trip down to the Dominican Republic where I got to take in some vitamin sea (see what I did there :-)). I walked a ton, and checked out as much of the local fare as I could. I was astonished that while eating supper there were people smoking at the tables all around me. While I was playing guitar a couple of nights at local bars, people were smoking two feet away from me. Imagine, while I was trying to entertain these wonderful folks, there was a grey haze three feet from the ceiling.

Everywhere I went, the beach, the bars, the pool, the ....... everywhere were people smoking three to five cigarettes an hour. It was overwhelming. Not in the way of "wow do I need a smoke', it was more like 'I'm dying a little every time I breathe.

For nearly a week after my little adventure, I felt that I was trying to soft cough up something in my lungs that I hadn't experienced in a long while.

I'm taking this as a hugely positive experience. I played (guitar and sang) at two bars while I was in the Dominican and I had a blast. I enjoyed the local people, the beaches and bars, and all the expats that I got to meet. I also didn't smoke. Not a single puff. Not only that, but I didn't obsess about smoking at any point. All the smokers around me, and all the smoking triggers and situations, yet it wasn't an issue for more than a fleeting moment. 

My journey continues and I appreciate the friendship and support all you folks offer

Peace 

Rory

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update Rory! It's great to hear about how rock solid that quit has become after 1 year off the smokes. It's even better that you can share that with others who are early in their quits or just thinking about quitting. It's too bad you had to endure the conditions you did in the clubs or bars you played at but good to know you now look at those situations in a completely different light than what you used to :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a great update to your awesome smoke free life. Sucks there's so many smokers there still but what a testament to your commitment to be an ex smoker! Come to California next time. You won't have to worry about playing and singing in a smoky club :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jillar said:

What a great update to your awesome smoke free life. Sucks there's so many smokers there still but what a testament to your commitment to be an ex smoker! Come to California next time. You won't have to worry about playing and singing in a smoky club :)

Theres a guitar store somewhere in your neck of the woods (Norm's Rare Guitars) thats always been on my bucketlist. One day I'll get down that way :-)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RoryPlog said:

Theres a guitar store somewhere in your neck of the woods (Norm's Rare Guitars) thats always been on my bucketlist. One day I'll get down that way :-)

Norm's in in Tarzana,  ('the valley' next to L.A.) what a treasure trove !

When you are down that way, don't forget McCabe's in Santa Monica (town next to L.A.).

I went to some great shows at McCabe's back in the day, strings also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1