Cal Newport on Why We'll Look Back at Our Smartphones Like Cigarettes

Whispers

• 2 weeks later...

I got rid of technology for a couple of weeks and now I barely use it. I went back to how life used to be and it's way better. 

I don't do everything on line which means I actually see the world around me. 

The people I speak to on a daily basis are real and not just names on the internet. Sorry if that offends you all but believe me a laugh is so much better when you hear it rather than just seeing an emoji and an LOL. 

I really believed it was just teenagers who sat with their face in their phone all day and night but I was just as bad. I think I started to neglect the real life people around me because I spent so much time typing posts on forums. 

Everyone should give up technology for a couple of weeks and reconnect with life. You have no idea how much you're missing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Technology is a tool.

Yes, i work behind a PC for over 20 years and how i make a living... 

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

The people I speak to on a daily basis are real and not just names on the internet. Sorry if that offends you all but believe me a laugh is so much better when you hear it rather than just seeing an emoji and an LOL.  

I agree, you need to see people! Interact in real life or they'll become socially awkward.

Before i had realized in the first few years of social media we all were going out and staring at our phones, go to a game pic ... post ...etc Same for going out to eat or for a drink... Crazy

What i do for a living is i analyze news, charts and numbers.. We are trained to peel back the layers, when you find whats beneath its rewarding financially. In real life people don't like it as you find out too much. Have to learn to balance that gift  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Whispers said:

What i do for a living is i analyze news,

I would almost love to know what your analogy of the news today is.   Over the past couple of years, it has played into the fears of the people and perpetually stirred up the hopes of the disheartened.  I am saddened for the ones trying to raise children in this atmosphere.  

I wish you could give me a different way to read it.  Is it just me or is it what the intent is?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

I would almost love to know what your analogy of the news today is.   Over the past couple of years, it has played into the fears of the people and perpetually stirred up the hopes of the disheartened.  I am saddened for the ones trying to raise children in this atmosphere.  

I wish you could give me a different way to read it.  Is it just me or is it what the intent is?

Linda, a lot slant their views. Some news outlets even go as far as to setup the line of questions, they also use a lot of BAIT questions. You're reading it right

17 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Linda, a lot slant their views. Some news outlets even go as far as to setup the line of questions, they also use a lot of BAIT questions. You're reading it right

I thought this article was an interesting read on this subject.  I hope I copied the link right.  I'm not quite sure how to do that.  I sent it to my e-mail and copied it from there.

‘Red Flags’ at Home. http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/BBT9lK4?ocid=se

I would think your job would be very stressful.  

Is there and accurate source out there at all?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

I thought this article was an interesting read on this subject.  I hope I copied the link right.  I'm not quite sure how to do that.  I sent it to my e-mail and copied it from there.

‘Red Flags’ at Home. http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/BBT9lK4?ocid=se

I would think your job would be very stressful.  

Is there and accurate source out there at all?

This is who wrote the article. Honestly you have to read between, most news sources are biased. Fact check. It's a stressful job but you learn to manage it. I manage the stress without ciggs now

image.png.0ebdf3ada84d26770ab7e9edc4d96673.png

• Like 1