I reflect on the word "Struggle" . . .

Peter_is_in

For me personally and what I have seen, I reflect on the word "Struggle" . . .

To watch a loved one die from cancer while all you can see is the whites of their eyes. The pain and frustration only shows in the wrinkles of their face, because they cannot talk . .. that's a struggle.

• That cannot be undone

To hear about a roadside bomb hitting a convoy of peace keepers in Afghanistan . . . and your child may be in that convoy . . . communications are automatically cut for several days . .. that's a struggle.

• You have no control

To give up on planning yearly fishing trips with your best buddy, because cancer just stole him away from you. . . that's a struggle.

• That cannot be forgotten

To hear the last words of your sister in moans and groans because the pain before dying of cancer is so much. . . that's a struggle.

• That cannot be erased

To see a family member taken off life support. . . that's a struggle.

• That cannot be erased

To learn about others who have no food to eat tomorrow, and likely will die . . . that's a struggle.

• That cannot be ignored

To have a strong crave to smoke a cigarette . . . that's not a struggle . . . That's an inconvenience.

• That can be undone
  • That can be controlled
  • That can be forgotten
  • That can be erased
  • That can be ignored

You can do it!

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Peter_is_in said:

To have a strong crave to smoke a cigarette . . . that's not a struggle . . . That's an inconvenience.

• That can be undone
  • That can be controlled
  • That can be forgotten
  • That can be erased
  • That can be ignored

Peter, this is great and couldn't have come at a better time for me.  I have copied this and slipped it in my wallet to pull out and read when I get those unwanted craves.

If I wasn't such a wimp, I might have had it tattooed somewhere! 

I have been thinking it has been a difficult struggle lately.  My dad is in the hospital now and I do not think he will be able to pull out of it.  The stress has been constant.

Last night, as I lay in bed,  I was so angry that those craves kept coming at me.  I could not sleep.  I was so irritated at, my husband snoring, the clock downstairs chiming, replaying the days events over and over in my brain.  I actually thought, if there wasn't this freezing polar vortex outside, I might have been tempted to go to the corner store.  

My quit, so far has been the thing that has made me most proud.  It has made me feel strong.  Having that cigarette would be having a big temper tantrum because I can not control my life.

You definitely have great wisdom to share.  I am so glad you have found us.

• Like 3

This is a great post, Peter.  Thank you.

and now for you, Missy !

3 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

My quit, so far has been the thing that has made me most proud. 

It has made me feel strong. 

Having that cigarette would be having a big temper tantrum because I can not control my life.

More tattoos for you ?

I CONTROL MY LIFE

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

. . . I have been thinking it has been a difficult struggle lately.  My dad is in the hospital now and I do not think he will be able to pull out of it.  The stress has been constant . . .

Hi Linda,

So sorry to hear about your Dad. And I totally understand the struggles during such a time.  Not long ago, I have experienced a life changing event in a hospital environment.  Two loved ones (a young couple), being good samaritans, pulled over to help someone in need. But instead, they were both struck by a vehicle. During their time in the hospital, I often had to step outside to get fresh air, to clear my mind, to grieve (one loved one passed away) . . . And at those times I saw patients, and staff, standing in the freezing cold, having a smoke.  I could not wrap my head around the fact that watching them, sucking on a cancer stick, they were endangering their own lives . . . while at the same time our loved ones struggled to survive. And I will never forget the irony of seeing the staff taking a smoke break, since after they were done, they were the same people who desperately worked at saving our loved ones.  A horrible journey for us, and a lesson of how precious life is and yet, how fragile.  You did well not giving in Linda . . . stay strong, for yourself, and for your Dad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, Peter_is_in said:

For me personally and what I have seen, I reflect on the word "Struggle" . . .

To watch a loved one die from cancer while all you can see is the whites of their eyes. The pain and frustration only shows in the wrinkles of their face, because they cannot talk . .. that's a struggle.

• That cannot be undone

To hear about a roadside bomb hitting a convoy of peace keepers in Afghanistan . . . and your child may be in that convoy . . . communications are automatically cut for several days . .. that's a struggle.

• You have no control

To give up on planning yearly fishing trips with your best buddy, because cancer just stole him away from you. . . that's a struggle.

• That cannot be forgotten

To hear the last words of your sister in moans and groans because the pain before dying of cancer is so much. . . that's a struggle.

• That cannot be erased

To see a family member taken off life support. . . that's a struggle.

• That cannot be erased

To learn about others who have no food to eat tomorrow, and likely will die . . . that's a struggle.

• That cannot be ignored

• That can be undone
  • That can be controlled
  • That can be forgotten
  • That can be erased
  • That can be ignored

You can do it!

Peter

This is a powerful post that puts struggles with nicotine addiction into perspective.

• Like 4