Do you talk to your kids or young people about Juuling, vaping and smoking?

I have a 9 year old daughter who remembers when I used to smoke.  This is a conversation that has come up from time-to-time since I quit but even more so now, because I bring up smoking and vaping to her, which leads to a lot of questions from her.

The superintendent of her school system sent an email to all of the parents about the kids vaping.  I talked to her about this and explained to her about the nasty things that come along with vaping.  Things like heavy metals, how the heavy metals get into the vapor and how dangerous it actually is and of course the dangers of nicotine addiction.  I want her to not even be tempted to try any of this but if she ever is, I want her to know the truth behind all of the clever marketing targeting our children.  This is 1970's tobacco advertising all over again.

As former smokers who are educated about addiction and how to beat it, there is nobody more qualified to reach kids and stop this epidemic from going any further.  Moreover, there also is nobody better than us to talk to kids who are already vaping (or smoking) and addicted and help them to quit.  We're experts in this field and talk about paying it forward, this is our chance.

Do any members here have school age children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren etc. and if so, have you talked to them about this?

There are lots if educational articles and videos about the dangers of vaping and juuling on the new board:
Vaping & Juuling: Unquestionable Addiction, Reckless Aftermath

The concerted efforts of big tobacco corporations - same drug, new package, new demographic; our youth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I have had the serious S and V conversation with my grandson....I know his parents have too....

All he has known is a grandad who has Emphysema.... And has never been able to P!ay with him...

He plays Rugby and Football...for his school....and his grandad has never had a kick about ....being on Oxygen has made this impossible ...

Our boy knows ...his passion of sport will be probally over ..if he smokes or vapes ...

Thankfully he's a smart kid ...and totally got it ...

Education....

• Like 3

I know adults who vape and talking to them about addiction goes as well as to be expected.

Thank you for consolidating vaping information.  I can send people here.

@MarylandQuitter, may we have a place in that part of the forum to add our own research links and experiences dealing with vaping ?

It isn't just children, which is particularly heinous, it is adult addicts that are blissfully unaware or in full addiction denial.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sazerac said:

I know adults who vape and talking to them about addiction goes as well as to be expected.

Thank you for consolidating vaping information.  I can send people here.

@MarylandQuitter, may we have a place in that part of the forum to add our own research links and experiences dealing with vaping ?

It isn't just children, which is particularly heinous, it is adult addicts that are blissfully unaware or in full addiction denial.

I know plenty and that is a good idea. When they make the move they avoid dealing with withdrawal and in their mind believe they quit. Basically all they have done is go from a crack pipe to a can 

• Thanks 1

OK... so I don't know anyone who vapes... it honestly is barely getting its foot in the door at the moment down under... doesn't mean it isn't happening. So last weekend the kid turned 13 which meant I got to spend 2 days chaperoning her and her mates to various events... with over 400kms on the clock on the road (270 odd miles) over the two days I had lots of alone time with the girls (and one boy).... we so talked smoking and vaping... so all the girls knew someone who smoked (always adults)... they all wished they would quit and had talked to them about it. None of their friends had tried smoking, "Who would be that stupid"..... they all thought vaping was funny and none of them knew anyone who vaped... they said when they did smoking and alcohol education at school they said the kids who's parents were smokers were really embarrassed to admit it and that in their class of 25 only 5 kids had a parent or parents who smoked. They know one girl in their class who tried smoking and didn't like it. So when I said why doesn't anyone vape... heaps of kids overseas do it... they were shocked... they saw vaping as equally as bad and stupid as smoking traditional ciggies... they saw both as stupid and dangerous.... only idiots would do that....

I am not sure of the lower incidence of vaping in Australia is because it is illegal to have nicotine in the liquid stuff or if there is some other reason... but the only boy with us said and I quote "If your going to be stupid enough to put poison in your body and lungs your gunna go the full hog and smoke. Vaping is like joining the army and saying, nah mate I just want a desk job filing papers somewhere and no gun... if ya gunna be in it ya have to go all the way."

• Like 1

Oh @MarylandQuitter thank you for posting all this new information about vaping. I am not sure if you are aware but last year my kid used information from the quit boards to do her class presentation on smoking and how nicotine addiction works. I know for a fact a lot of the kids at her school came here to get information to help with their research and the QT became a valuable resource tool to her and her friends (12-13yo). But it wasn't just all the information and @Joel Spitzer's videos that helped them it was being able to read how hard it was for "old" people to quit... and how much they all regretted their decisions to start smoking and to not quit earlier... so here on the QT they found balanced evidence of how the addiction worked, but I think more importantly they saw a glimpse of how hard it is to quit and they never want to have to take that journey... so just thought I should let your know that the Quit Train isn't just helping people find freedom but it is also helping to prevent people ever taking it up... so thanks, and thanks to all the members here who share their journey... you don't only inspire others to join us but you are also helping others to never take up smoking.

• Like 1

notsmokinjo,

That's awesome!  You had a conversation with those children that they probably won't ever forget.  It's fantastic that you had the opportunity to talk to your daughter and a group of her friends about smoking and vaping.  That's really paying it forward.  :) 

Very cool that they were able to use QT for a research tool.  I love it!  Oh, you might have already seen article about nicotine found in vape liquids, despite it being illegal in AT, but in case you haven't...

• Thanks 1