Hi all!

I may be mistaken so please do not chop my head off. :/

On this board, the quitters are fully quit - no crutches like an ecig, vaping, etc? Yes? this, to me would be not a real quit. I know someone who is boasting about being smoke free but is using these devices. Is it crazy that this offends me?

• Like 2

Cristina:

IMO smoke free is smoke free, Vaps and Ecigs are smoke free but not Nicotine free,  the adiction is nicotine,.

Yes they lost a bunch of bad crap that was in the smoke, but they still have the Habit and adiction, they have not broken free of anything.

I feel it is their choice as it was to smoke or not to smoke and to say they are smoke free is technically correct, but dont get offended, they are still  addicts and that is also fact.

• Like 4

We pretty much have an anti-vaping train.

You can see all the information about vaping in the new category that MQuitter set up HERE

I think one person quit by using vape a few years ago.

But, she quit smoking AND vaping.

For me, quitting smoking meant dealing successfully with my nicotine addiction

and not just a delivery system.

Addicts are addicts are addicts and full of denial.  I know, I was for forty something years !

• Like 5

Hi christa, i think like you do and the others. They arent nicotine free . They made a lateral move from cigarettes to e-cigg/vape. I used blue and vape for a short time, reason was i still wanting my nicotine. As saz mentioned, addicts are full of denial  

• Like 4

Christa:

Remember the King that was spoofed by the con artists that the clothes they sold him could not be seen by the dumb,  only intiligent people could see them ?  Kust picture this not so bright people walking around in clothes only they can see, smile and overt your eyes, i am sure iot is not a pretty sight 

• Like 3

On 1/24/2019 at 12:20 PM, Christa326 said:

Hi all!

I may be mistaken so please do not chop my head off. ?

On this board, the quitters are fully quit - no crutches like an ecig, vaping, etc? Yes? this, to me would be not a real quit. I know someone who is boasting about being smoke free but is using these devices. Is it crazy that this offends me?

Some members here are still smoking, trying to quit.  That's okay.  This is where they need to be.  Some are using NRT products.  However, that is fine so long as the NRT is short-term, very short-term because the goal is to get off of nicotine completely.  The sooner the better which is why the cold turkey method have the most success.  It's not the only method that works, but it is the method of quitting that has best success rates, hands down.

Anybody who is vaping any amount of nicotine is not quit.  This is not even worth debating because the person is still putting nicotine into their body and keeping the drug addiction alive and well; they're only lying to themselves, as all using drug addicts do.  See this board for everything you need to know about vaping.    Vaping & Juuling: Unquestionable Addiction, Reckless Aftermath

• Like 3

OK... I used NRT to help my quit in the early days... once I decided that I was gunna have a ridgy didge go at making this quit the last one I made plans to get off the NRT as quick as I could... NRT was a crutch I needed...while I would have loved to quit cold turkey I knew for me I needed to beat my addiction not only from the point of view of the physical addiction to nicotine but also the emotional and psychological addiction/habit/ritual... I knew myself well enough that I had to break that emotional/psychological part of the quit as a priority over the physical addiction to nicotine.... that said if I am 100% truthful I never felt fully quit until I stopped the NRT... and even though when I finally gave up the gum I was only have 1x 2mg chewy every couple of days it isn't until I had that last chewy that I truly considered myself quit and equal to the cold turkey quitters.

That said, I understand your anger at the vaper you know who claims to be quit. My daughter's father considers himself quit for 5 years... but when he goes overseas (once or twice a year) he smokes... he doesn't think that counts as not being quit. I just don't get it.

• Like 4

Yeah, one needs to QUIT quit.

No vaping, juuling, smoking, dipping, gums, chews, patches etc...

Those bastards who invented vape KNEW for years that tobacco was in trouble. They just launched a new weapon to keep addicts addicted.

Stay away from nicotine, period.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sgt.barney said:

Sarge always wonders: "Why quit twice ?" 

Because for some of us, we don't have the self disapline to quit cold turkey. We are all different creatures, bringing different life experiences to the table and some of us just don't have a cold turkey quit in us and there is nothing wrong with that. Doesn't make us any less a quitter..weather we take the high road or the low road or one of the hundreds of roads in between as long as we reach the same destination at the end of our journey shouldn't that be what matters not how we got there?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Because for some of us, we don't have the self disapline to quit cold turkey. We are all different creatures, bringing different life experiences to the table and some of us just don't have a cold turkey quit in us and there is nothing wrong with that. Doesn't make us any less a quitter..weather we take the high road or the low road or one of the hundreds of roads in between as long as we reach the same destination at the end of our journey shouldn't that be what matters not how we got there?

You are making it harder than it needs to be. 
Quit once. 
Quitting twice is redundant ... and twice the effort. 
What matters is the folks who end up hopelessly addicted to Vape (or Patch (Or <whatever>)) ... just like they were addicted to smokes. 
Trading one addiction for another is not a positive gain. It's a lateral move. Ending up in the same spot. Thinking you've made progress when you went nowhere. 
EZPZ

• Confused 1

And you are belittling those of us who can't or don't quit cold turkey.

Quit once is the ideal... makes the most sense... doesn't work for everyone, and that is reality... I love waking up, going through my day without thinking of smoking and going to bed completely smoke and nicotine free and let me tell you in over 6 years of a cold turkey quit I didn't have that feeling for a single day, not once.... I can honestly say at 14 months smoke free I am quit, think I had a passing smoking thought once this month. Sure prolonging the full nicotine detox was not the ideal way to quit, made it harder, but it worked and I have made more progress than ever did in over 6 years cold turkey. That said, I know cold turkey is still the way to go, I know my experience is not typical and everyone else isn't going to be the same and I encourage people to quit cold turkey.  I also encourage people to know themselves and if they know that cold turkey wont work for them there is no shame or inferiority in using nrt, or hypnosis, or those tablets, you still have to do the miles, probably a few extra... but just so long as you get to that place of freedom who cares how you do it.

• Like 5

I believe ....NRT...has helped far more people quit than the odd few who become addicted ....

We have had successful quitters here ,who have used , patches ,gum ect....as long as the programme is used properly...and Freedom is found ...

I too don't think it's fair to make those people feel uncomfortable.....

Everyone here should be supported no matter what method they use ....as long as they quit smoking cigarettes......

It's better to get support and use NRT....than not try at all ..and you die of a smoking related illness...

• Like 3

I think everybody is looking at the same forest but the trees are getting in the way.  The bottom line is, whether NRT is used or not, the goal is to get off of nicotine completely and for good.  The use of NRT delays nicotine withdrawal but again, that's okay so long as the goal is to stop nicotine for good, and much sooner than later.  There is no one right way to quit but there is only one way to stay quit and that is to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF, EVER.

I used Wellbutrin to quit and it worked for me.  No need for anybody to look in the past because as long as we're not smoking and not using nicotine in any form, we've succeeded at stomping nicotine addiction out of lives and much, much  less of a chance of relapse. 

Our philosophy on quitting smoking

Quit Train®, a quit smoking support community, was created by former smokers who have a deep desire to help people quit smoking and to help keep those quits intact.  This place should be a safe haven to escape the daily grind and focus on protecting our quits.  We don't believe that there is a "one size fits all" approach when it comes to quitting smoking.  Each of us has our own unique set of circumstances which contributes to how we go about quitting and more importantly, how we keep our quits.

This is not an environment where anybody will be judged as we only exist to offer education, support and acceptance.  Through education and sharing experiences, we can all help each other to keep this nasty, deadly addiction out of our lives.  We all want the same thing; to stay smoke-free and enjoy our lives of living as a non-smoker and all of the health benefits and freedom that it offers. 

Anybody can quit smoking and anybody can stay that way.  It's a matter of finding a good combination of education and support to expose the lies of smoking in a comfortable, come as you are environment.  We welcome all with open arms and hope that you can make this your safe haven to take your freedom back and get on with the business of living life as a non-smoker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

And you are belittling those of us who can't or don't quit cold turkey.

The Sarge doesn't particularly care that you choose to take a simple statement of fact as "belittlement". 
He can't help how personal perceptions warp the reality that NRT requires quitting a minimum of twice into some kind of personal insult. If you choose to take that as "belittling", that's your problem - don't blame Sarge. 
He doesn't care. 

EZPZ

Edited by sgt.barney

The whole reason we are here is to QUIT, it doesn't matter how, it doesn't matter how many times ( hell I on my second quit and I did not use NRTs)  what matters is we QUIT, that we find that forever QUIT.  That is it,  So praise those that are trying and lets not Judge the Means in which they try.

Edited by Opah
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 2:09 PM, sgt.barney said:

Sarge always wonders: "Why quit twice ?" 
First you quit the smokes ... then you quit <whatever> (vape, patch, pills, lozenges, <whatever>) ?

Just quit once and be done with it. 

It's TheWayToGo. 
For. Sure.

I think the biggest reason I decided to "quit once" is because I am too much of a tightwad to spend money on cessation products. I always heard that they don't even work for everyone. I figured I wanted to "quit for free" cause i am a cheap skate.

• Like 1

Here is the UK a course of NRT is free....to anyone who wants to quit ...now they are also giving them out in hospitals ,to encourage patients to Quit ...

This has got to be better than nothing ...if it saves one life ...it's been worth it ....

Many roads lead to Rome ....just get your backside there....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, Christa326 said:

Hi all!

I may be mistaken so please do not chop my head off. ?

Yes you're crazy ?

• Confused 1