3 months.....

I Got This (T)

So I'm just over 3 months quit... 3 months 11 days to be exact.... officially the longest I've gone without a cigarette..... and it is really really hard. I feel like I quit 3 days ago. I feel like I'm hanging on by a thread right now. I am constantly thinking about and craving a cigarette. The only thing that I can do to keep myself from smoking is not smoke (it make sense to me) and that's getting harder to do. I keep reminding myself why I am doing this and all the benefits I have seen so far, but the urge really feels stronger than my sense of joy/greatfulness/contempt... ect. It's like "yup. Made it 3 months. Don't really care that it's the longest I gone just really want a cigarette." 

This Sucks.

Still not smoking,

Edited by I Got This (T)
  • Like 4

Hi IGT,  "The only thing that I can do to keep myself from smoking is not smoke (it make sense to me) and that's getting harder to do" I had to replace the crutch that was smoking to me with something else. I used exercise , a straw and a fake cigg to make believe. Candy, move a muscle change a thought was the key for me. We blow our quits when we lose direction or just don't give a F.  Check out No mans land

• Like 5

Yep, I remember feeling like you at three and four months quit. Sounds like no man's land to me too. Glad you're smart enough to keep your quit because I promise it will start getting better real soon so hang in there :)

• Like 4

Stay strong and it will get better. 3 plus months quit is huge. I would do whatever to keep it . If you have made it this far you are strong enough to keep the quit and smart enough to know giving in will only cause you pain and disappointment. If you have made it this far this is what you want for yourself. Better days will come. Best wishes.

• Like 3

IGT you are doing well.  What you are going thru is common, as said before study up on no mans land as said above.  It really does get better, just be strong and try to shift your focus to the positives from quitting this.  It is good you posted -- shows your strength -- Keep it up!!!!

• Like 3

IGT,  I remember some earlier posts of you were you where very happy and even proud about yourself. Please think back of that and imagine yourself like that again, because that is how it will be soon enough! You will be proud, you will be relieved and you will be so happy about not giving up!

How are you now?

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 3

You got this...

That's why you chose that name, because you knew you're gonna stick it out.

It's tough whenever there's a craving, but our brains are being rewired so no one promised it would be easy. But 3 months is right around when your skin quality is improving, your heart attack rates have considerably dropped, your gums have started repairing themselves, of course the ton of money you've already saved means you can pamper yourself with it.

I understand it is super tough, but your body deserves to be taken care of, so it can take care of you as the years go on.

Stick it out IGT, you truly got this!!!

I believe in you.

• Like 2

Be SURE to keep rewarding yourself every time you beat a crave !

Replace smokey thoughts immediately by looking at something pretty like that light on that leaf or something/someone you love.

Your quit is young, protect it with your life

and don't forget to have fun.

You Quit Smoking.  End Of.

• Like 1

I'm sorry you are struggling but can be normal during the first few months.  Keep fighting, things will get better IGT.  3 months is a great accomplishment and it is not worth throwing away for a cigarette.  Smoking will do nothing positive at all.

• Like 2

IGT Don't get off the train because it is going to take you to beautiful destinations!  I am so proud of my quit and each month quit I feel prouder.  Just hang tough, these feeling will pass. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I will get thru this. I was a little taken back at just how strong and overwhelming my yearning for a cigarette was/is after 3 months. I'm not cranky really that I can't have one..... not any more pissy.... not barking at people.... I am quite a bit more anxious however..... have that anxious feeling in my tummy all the time, because I feel like I am in a constant battle with my brain telling it I don't want to smoke. I feel my mind racing, but not really in any particular direction.... it's almost like I am going thru a tunnel at the speed of light... with tracers and passing sounds on both sides of me.... at the end of the tunnel is the end of my cravings..... the light if you will.... and I'm stuck right in the middle... just floating...while everything else keeps passing by..... 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, I Got This (T) said:

I'm stuck right in the middle... just floating...while everything else keeps passing by..... 

The people passing you by are people who probably began before you and I.

The very fact that you are still floating says loads about your resilience.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, always.

• Like 1

Just a word from one who fell off of the train with just under a year nicotine free:

There is no such thing as just a taste, or just one or only today, it will end your Quit !

There were a couple times that I came very close to loosing it and the 3 month makers was one of them.

It got quite, the Rah Rah Rahs were gone, I got quite and farther from the forum, it was soon the only voice

I heared was the naging of that little nicotine memory,  Just a puff and it picked the most desiriable moments.

I can't tell you when or if every one can go without the support of caring people that personally know what you

are going thru, what I can tell you is This loving Caring people are like air for me, Can't see, can't touch, but they

keep me stronge safe and secure.

Continue to use us, write write write, about anything, what ever you feel you need to write about.

As I have heard and will continue to hear it does get easier  and it does !  Just got to be cautious during the

slack times. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

You have to sit down go within and contemplate. Ask yourself questions and seriously attempt to find an answer. Find your voice of reason. Another thing to do, sit down and notice all the areas of your body that are tense during an episode and focus on it, don't untense it but just pay attention to it until it relaxes and move on the the next tense area. Our thoughts and emotions and desires even, get bundled up in our automatic physiological habits and if we don't pay attention we get lost in translation, irrational thoughts are the product of an unexamined body . Learning to be with each breath in and out without holding on to the ones that have passed, enjoy breathing unencumbered with smoking. Everytime you get distracted by thought allow your attention to find that tense part of your body that is responsible and sit with it until your breath again invites your attention back and the tension in that area of your body dissipates naturally. Realize you never stopped breathing during all this and that THIS breath is the only one that's real and that all is happening now. Enjoy the process of life unencumbered with smoking.

Get familiar with how your thoughts are tied with your physiological habits and how your emotions are tied with your thoughts, it is a river. You must sit by this river and find your true voice of reason and direct it, create new channels. All addictions are an attempt to stay away from this act of self enquiry and meditation. 

• Like 2