Daily exercise log for everyone :)

4 hours ago, AceWhite said:

@ Linda I teach at a trade tech apprentice school- one of he many hats I wear

Sundays are my long swim & run day

1700 meter time trial followed by 4 mile trail run in the hills

Mondays are rest days woo hoo

@AceWhiteRest up, man of many hats you deserve it, no time to get bored  😁😁

On 10/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, Katgirl said:

Incorporating a little weight training into my daily routine feels good. Nothing major. Just some upper body work.  I think it may be helping with my right shoulder. As near as I can tell, I have a partial rotator cuff tear. 

I have abused my shoulders throughout my life: multiple dislocations, AC joint sprains, both collar bones broken, and recurring rotator cuff issues.  Shoulder pain is just a fact of life for me at this point.

However, strength training and mobility work have helped the cause.  High Boy Rows (a bent-over row where the bar is brought to mid-chest or slightly above) have helped a great deal with my rotator cuff issues.  I've been surprised how much better my shoulders feel since adding Dead Hangs (hanging with straight arms from a pull-up bar) to my mobility work.

I wish I could hop into the WABAC machine and tell young Boo about how all of those injuries are going to accumulate over time.  That's not a feasible option, so I'm left looking for ways to rehabilitate instead.

• Sad 1

5.88 mi bike ride.

4 hours ago, Boo said:

I have abused my shoulders throughout my life: multiple dislocations, AC joint sprains, both collar bones broken, and recurring rotator cuff issues.  Shoulder pain is just a fact of life for me at this point.

If it's not to personal, I'd be interested in how you hurt your shoulders.  I'm thinking bronco busting, WWF wrestling, motocross racing?

21 hours ago, JustinHoot99 said:

If it's not to personal, I'd be interested in how you hurt your shoulders.  I'm thinking bronco busting, WWF wrestling, motocross racing?

As Meatloaf said: "two out of three ain't bad."

Had more dirt bike and four wheeler wrecks than I care to remember.  Did get bucked off a horse, not technically a bronco but rather a high spirited quarter-horse.  However, didn't hurt my shoulder when I got bucked.  Managed to escape that one with only a turned ankle.

Throw in some old baseball injuries, farm work mishaps, accidents in and around whitewater rivers and steep creeks, a rope swing trick at the lake that went terribly wrong, and being a passenger in a Jeep that rolled three times...you get the picture.

I try not to complain about the aches and pains too much.  I'm just lucky to be alive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boo said:

As Meatloaf said: "two out of three ain't bad."

That's a lot of action.  I can't compete w/ that.

Todays exercise:
15min bike ride + stretching + 

3 circuits of 15 reps each:
Pushups (1st set was 35)
Weighted situps
Lift and press
Horizontal lat pull

• Like 3

Cycled a 26 mile loop down a river trail to Huntington Beach yesterday afternoon- about 13 miles into a solid ocean breeze. Legs are sore today. Days are getting shorter & my rides are ending just past dusk. Might need to quit my job so I have more time to play

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yesterday , I was on my 2nd session on my treadmill, when I started to feel very hungry, as I hadn’t eaten in hours, and just felt like my blood sugar had plummeted, so I stopped after 1 mile and had a snack and some water. After 25 minutes , or so, I resumed my set, but the machine had not stored my data. It holds it for 10 minutes, in case you need a rest. I knew I had stopped at exactly 1 mile, though. Theoretically, I should have done just one more mile. However, revitalized, I started all over and did 2 miles. So, I power walked 5 miles uphill yesterday. 😊

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, d2e8b8 said:

Would you consider increasing the intensity or difficulty level of the push-ups since you're doing sets of 35+

One of my 6 fitness goals at the start of the year was to be able to do 40 standard pushups.  My peak this year was 43 so I hit that.  Now I just want to keep the ability to do 35.  Sometimes I just do standard pushups for a lot of volume, but I also throw in a lot of variations like:
spider man, diamond, close and wide grip, 1 leg off the ground, burpees, and elevated leg.  Heres a video of me just goofing around with pushups.

When regular pushups just arent enough.PNG

• Like 1

I have been diligent in following my routine of two 2 mile power walks daily, and have gradually been increasing my incline, which , in turn, increases my calorie burn. Incline is up to 5%, by the end of each session. I am also doing some work with the weight bar. Nothing crazy. I just want to shape and tone a bit. This morning I went an extra quarter mile, just because I knew I could. I remain proud of my drive and determination to improve my physical stamina, and just be healthier, in general. I am impressed with my 70 year old self. 😂😂

• Like 4

I did an extra half mile again, this evening, for a total of 5 miles today and even increased my incline again to 5.5% for the final 2 1/4 mi. Laps. Total calorie burn 675, about what I took in so far . I haven’t yet had my dinner.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, JustinHoot99 said:

Heres a video of me just goofing around with pushups.

I couldn't open the video but just wanted say I love push-ups - there are so many variations that it never gets old.  

On 10/16/2021 at 11:22 AM, AceWhite said:

Long hard week of training

You've been doing some really great training.  All the best for the race.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:54 PM, Doreensfree said:

due to tweeking my back ...

Sorry to hear that.  With the back, it may be better to take some time and let it heal properly.  How did you hurt it? 

On 10/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, Katgirl said:

I did an extra half mile again, this evening, for a total of 5 miles today and even increased my incline again to 5.5%

Katgirl, your workout discipline is very impressive.

I did an 8k run yesterday and did some leg workout today.  Had some distractions in life but hoping to make workout an essential activity of the day - even if it's a quick one.

Athletics is more mental than physical

Good thing im crazy

Katgirl I think you can relate anyone that chooses to hike uphill at your pace is nuts lol

After all the abuse these lungs are still working

Edited by AceWhite
  • Like 1