Daily exercise log for everyone :)

9/24 
Wt 179.0
Exercise - HIIH w/o (hike with kbswing, horiz lat pull, situps, tripod xtensions, burpees, seated dips, tripod vaults)
Eating
Breakfast - egg, bacon
Lunch - Eggsalad sandwich, chip, milk
Dinner - Mexican resteraunt fajitas, ice cream
Snacks - 3 sodas, several pieces of candy

We'll start working on this tomorrow.

• Like 2

I wouldn't use the word on a treadmill unless it was raining or too cold or something ... and then I find myself clock-watching.  Really, the love word comes from exploring the outdoors and nature - hikes, rides, runs.  New routes are important - it gets hard running around the block.  So I guess the love comes with conditions :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, d2e8b8 said:

I wouldn't use the word on a treadmill unless it was raining or too cold or something ... and then I find myself clock-watching.  Really, the love word comes from exploring the outdoors and nature - hikes, rides, runs.  New routes are important - it gets hard running around the block.  So I guess the love comes with conditions :) 

I like the treadmill. I can see exactly how fast I’m going, and how far I have to go. I can set goals more easily, and the Ifit app saves my stats. It was always my favorite machine, at my gym. With Covid, I do not want to frequent a gym, or exercise wearing an N-95 mask, which is the only mask I will wear, when needed. What I don’t love is the work that goes into working out. It is difficult, perhaps more so, at my age, than for younger folks….😊

@Katgirl MovNat is the brand name for something called natural movement.  Natural movement has a lot of philosophy behind it that I don't pay much attention to.  But it has 2 parts.  The first part can be done inside and involves a lot of stretching and ground movements.  Similar to yoga in some ways but yoga seems to be more of a stretch and hold where this is more of a flow.  You can just learn the basics or get quite involved in the indoor portion.  But I think the first part is just a precursor for the second part which is where natural movement comes in.  Natural movement exercising is very similar to what you would see if you watched kids play.  They run, jump on and off things, roll on the ground, climb anything and everything, balance on things, lift and throw things, etc.  Natural movement is very similar with emphasis on doing this outside, preferably in nature, like a forest or park, but it can be done in urban areas as well.  For instance, I do my HIIH workout using a wooded frisbee course.  I have at least 30 activities I can choose from and usually select 10-12 to do on my 1-2mile hike.  A typical workout might me be walking to a large stone I have set by a tree, picking it up, lifting and throwing overhead, picking up again and repeating 10-15times.  Then maybe jog for a bit and do some pushups or burpees, then move to a wall of posts sticking out of the ground that serve as a back stop for the frisbees, climbing up on them and balance walking across the top of them.  I might do some ground exercises like tripod extensions, log flipping, or tripod vaulting on a tree that fell but is about 3' off the ground.  Maybe a steep hill climb where I have to grab roots to help pull my way up the hill.  Basically, you are moving the entire body in a large variety of planes, and working on strength, cardio, balance, and flexibility.  I do this in every season from hot humid summer to the most freezing days Illinois sees.  A lot of people who start out in natural movement wind up progressing into Parkour as well, at least some basic Parkour.  Parkour can be done at any age, just taylored for what your age and abilities are.  At 60, my parkour work is mainly vaulting over low objects like park benches using the tripod vault or jumping from one low object to another.  In natural movement, we believe you don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.

• Like 1

9/24 start wt 179.0

9/25 wt 180.0 thanks to eating Mexican late yesterday. 
Goal 174 by 11/1
Exercise - Whitewater kayaking 1hr
Eating
Breakfast - 3 strips bacon, banana
Lunch - 5 small pieces of deer sausage and cheese
Dinner - 2 pieces of pizza
Snacks - 1 soda, snickers bar, bowl of ice cream later.

Went out and bought a bunch of salad and fruit stuff I'll be needing this week.

3 hours ago, JustinHoot99 said:

9/24 start wt 179.0

9/25 wt 180.0 thanks to eating Mexican late yesterday. 
Goal 174 by 11/1
Exercise - Whitewater kayaking 1hr
Eating
Breakfast - 3 strips bacon, banana
Dinner - 2 pieces of pizza
Snacks - 1 soda, snickers bar, bowl of ice cream later.

Went out and bought a bunch of salad and fruit stuff I'll be needing this week.

Your diet does not seem to be any healthier than mine. I had a small portion of raspberry danish and coffee for breakfast, Chile Relleno and a half cheese enchilada for lunch,  Tri tip, mashed potatoes and corn for dinner.  Portions were all small. I do have my eye on a half maple donut for later. Today I increased my incline dramatically, but did not run. My knees were feeling a bit sore, when I started running, so I backed off. My calorie burn increased to 300, with the increased incline. My speed varied from 3.5-3.8 mph. I did complete 2 miles in 34 minutes.

• Like 1

@Katgirl Yeah, right now my diet is way off.  As I get further into my wt loss mode, you will see it become extremely boring w/ pretty much the same foods at the same time everyday.  Tonight will be my last nite for that bowl of ice cream I have every nite.  I generally lose wt pretty quickly once I get going on the diet side.  
Did I see that you run outdoors as well?

Start date 9/24 start wt 179.0 goal by 11/1 under 174.0 3 days in a row

Current - 9/26 - wt 178.8. 

Exercise - 9 hole frisbee golf 20 - In this workout, I simply walk 9 of the 18 frisbee golf fairways and do 20 pushups at each basket for a total of 180.
Eating
Breakfast - 2 strips bacon, banana
Dinner - Grilled salmon, large salad

Snacks - 1 soda, bowl of ice cream later.

Starting to dial in the diet.  Last thing I need to do is get rid of the bowl of ice cream in the evening.
So did everyone exercise their azz off, or use it to dust the couch today?

Edited by JustinHoot99
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JustinHoot99 said:

@Katgirl Yeah, right now my diet is way off.  As I get further into my wt loss mode, you will see it become extremely boring w/ pretty much the same foods at the same time everyday.  Tonight will be my last nite for that bowl of ice cream I have every nite.  I generally lose wt pretty quickly once I get going on the diet side.  
Did I see that you run outdoors as well?

I used to train outdoors, on a course I mapped out on our property.  I did 2 20 minute power walks each day, every day. I never take a day off. When it started getting really hot, I bought a treadmill. I just finished 2 miles in 35 minutes, up a 3% incline, the whole way. 3% doesn’t  sound like much, but it was very strenuous. I kept up a consistent 3.5 mph speed. Calorie burn was about 300. So far today, I have eaten 1/2 steak sandwich and a small fruit salad, for lunch, with water to drink. I had a half donut and coffee for breakfast. I mainly drink spring water, throughout the day. I do allow myself an occasional soda, usually with pizza, which may be tonight’s choice for dinner. It is football Sunday, after all. Just watch Tom Brady get beat by the Rams. I love to see him lose…..😊

• Like 2

Start date 9/24 start wt 179.0. Goal is to be under 174.0 for 3 days in a row by 11/1.

Current - 9/27 - wt 178.0. 

Exercise - HIIH w/ 9 core exercises.
Eating
Lunch - Wrap w/ chicken, bacon, spinach, tomatos.  And grapes
Dinner - Grilled hamburger patty (no bun), large salad

Snacks - 1 soda, 1 donut

Getting the diet dialed in.  Tonights exercise was to do a different core exercise at each of 9 baskets on the frisbee course.

• Like 3

I started a new routine, today. I am walking twice a day. This morning I walked for 1.5 miles up a 1% incline, the entire way, at 3 mph, which is a moderately brisk walking,pace. The slight incline mimics taking a walk outside, where the terrain is never completely flat. Later in the afternoon, I did 2 full miles up a 3% incline, the entire time, at a more brisk 3.5 mph pace. I am interested to see if this effects my weight. I had a total 460 calorie burn. I will continue this routine for a week, and see if the scale moves to the left. As for my diet, I will continue to be diligent. I never overeat.

• Like 3

Back into the grind of 2 a days for the next 4 weeks. Yesterday I rode 22 miles followed by a 2 mile run 

Over the last 7 months I’ve dropped

almost 20# even tho I wasn’t overweight. Definitely dropped most of my body fat. My diet has slowly changed to healthy foods that don’t weigh me down. I stick to lean meats fruits and veggies. 

• Like 5

@AceWhite What kind for riding you do?  Stationary, road, mountain biking?
I've always hated running, although 1 of my fitness goals was to work up to 1mi run.  I accomplished that, if you can call the speed I go a run.  Slow jog would be more accurate.  I should probably get some actual running shoes, but I run on a rough trail so I need trail shoes.

5 hours ago, JustinHoot99 said:

@AceWhite What kind for riding you do?  Stationary, road, mountain biking?
I've always hated running, although 1 of my fitness goals was to work up to 1mi run.  I accomplished that, if you can call the speed I go a run.  Slow jog would be more accurate.  I should probably get some actual running shoes, but I run on a rough trail so I need trail shoes.

Mostly road cycling at the moment although I ride the mountain bike often as well. You'll never find me on a stationary or treadmill I prefer activities over exercise. My running is done primarily on trails mostly to save my knees and hips

• Like 2

Start date 9/24 start wt 179.0. Goal is to be under 174.0 for 3 days in a row by 11/1.

Current - 9/28 - wt 177.0. 

Exercise - Low intensity nite. 1/2mi hike w/ 25pushups, 15 horizontal lat pulls, and 15 weighted situps.
Eating

Snacks - 1 soda, 2 donut

When I'm in wt loss mode, my diet becomes extremely mundane.  Most meals won't change for days, but they are pretty healthy.  My salads are romaine, spinach, mandarin orange, 5 grapes, 5 cherry tomatos, and cottage cheese.  My dinners consist of whatever meat I grilled up over the weekend, plus the salad.  Lunches will pretty much be the wrap which is chicken, bacon strip, romaine and spinach, tomato.

If I don't lose wt on that amount, I will cut out the snack at night.

• Like 2

I need to work on my sleep a bit.  Bit of a contradictory phrase, but you know what I mean.

Last night, I got almost eight solid hours of good sleep.  That's unusual for me as I'm usually going on about six hours tops.

Woke up this morning feeling good.  In spite of this being a "light" day, I opted to take advantage of the momentum I had today.  Did some Deadlifts.  Did a sled circuit: pushed the sled down and pulled it back with a rope.  Did some heavy sandbag carries and finished up with five rounds on the heavy bag.

My energy levels have been high and my mood good.  Good Sleep = Good Day

• Like 2

Current - 9/29 - wt 176.2. 

Exercise - Short but high intensity.  3circuits of push, core, pull. Push was 30 standard pushups, 10 diamond, and 10 spiderman.  Core was 15 reps of weighted situps each circuit.  Pull was 15 horizontal pulls each circuit.

Eating

Snacks - 1 soda, 2 slices of cheese.

So my weigh in wt has droped from 179.0 to 176.2 in 4 days, but that's not really wt loss.  I'm approaching what I call the empty belly wt.  I'm eating less than I'm burning and no longer carrying 4 lbs of crap around in my belly.  The drops in wt will become less frequent and smaller increments now.

• Like 1