Daily exercise log for everyone :)

Had a good day yesterday.  Ran 4 miles at the canal after work and then had a healthy dinner:  vegan (Soy Boy) ravioli in homemade sauce, roasted honey mustard broccoli, a green salad, and watermelon for dessert.  I just started a big pot of cabbage soup in the crock pot, so I'll have that tonight after a run.  It would be great if 4 miles could become the new normal for me.

I timed myself on the 4 miles, and I ran 10:45/mile.  I wasn't really pushing it like in a race, but it wasn't a leisurely, pleasant jog.  That pace is OK, though it's at least a minute slower than I was running regular training runs four or five years ago.  😞  

• Like 1

My workout yesterday went well. I did a little over 2 miles, at my brisk pace of 3.5 mph, up a 2% incline, the entire time. It took me 34 minutes. As usual, it was intense, but did not seem overly difficult, as it can, on some days. My calorie intake was lower than usual yesterday. I am trying to watch the carbs, and focus more on proteins. I also limit snacks, by concentrating on portion control. I definitely achieved a calorie deficit yesterday, and will focus on continuing to do so. I keep reminding myself that achieving physical fitness is a process, and takes time. So, slow and steady wins the race…😊

• Like 2

Good news and bad news.  The good news is that I ran 3 1/2 miles through my (hilly) neighborhood after work.  It was tough and I'm a little sore this morning, but I did OK.  The bad news is that I ate like a crazy person yesterday.  Dinner was fine (homemade cabbage soup and vegan chiken nuggets), but then I just kept grazing all evening--gummy bears, crackers and peanut butter, ice cream, tortilla chips, etc.  It's a little disappointing because, while the running seems to be going well, I absolutely know that it's impossible to outrun or outexercise a bad diet.  

I'll commit to more reasonable and disciplined eating today and a run of four miles at the park or canal.  

• Like 4

Both yesterday and today, I did exactly 2 miles of speed walking, @ 3.5 mph, though I increased the incline by a half percent today. Both times My heart rate reached 140. My calorie burn was a little higher today, but poor nutrition is my issue, too. This morning, for breakfast, I had a half of a cinnamon bun, from a bakery, with my morning coffee. I do not use sugar, but do use sweetened nondairy liquid creamer. I had a late lunch, which was a double cheeseburger from McDonald’s and a glass of water. Obviously, I need to give my diet more thought. Normally, I’m not a snacker, so there’s that. My scale just doesn’t move, in either direction, despite my daily rigorous workouts. By the time I finish, sweat is dripping down my face. So, I’m working hard, for little return. It feels good, though, and I know it’s good for my heart. I need to really work on improving my diet. 

• Like 3

Reasonable day yesterday:  ran two miles at the canal and would have run more but it was getting very dark.  Much better, too, with food:  although I had some fried things at an Italian festival in the early afternoon, dinner was fresh corn, cabbage soup, and a big salad.   I had a little popcorn later, which is fine.  

I'd like to run four miles today, but will commit to something.  

• Like 3

It’s NFL Football Sunday today. My Eagles played my Forty-Niners. Forty-Niners prevailed. Truthfully,  I’d have preferred it went the other way. But, I love both teams, so I can deal. Because we have a barbecue/ BD party to attend this evening, I was forced to exercise earlier than usual. I normally work out in the early evening. So, I watched the game from the treadmill. I tried something a bit different today. I lowered the incline to simulate walking outdoors, and did an extra half mile. My heart rate wasn’t quite as high as normal,  but still at the lower end of my target range. Calorie burn was nearly 300, because of the longer time. I walked  2.5 miles in 45 minutes, with several bursts of running at a higher rate of speed. I want to train to be a runner, again,  not just speed walker. It may, or may not, be a good idea, at my age….🤔

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 2

Was pretty lazy yesterday:  just lounged around watching football and stuff and never got out for a run.  A reasonable food day, though, so that's good:  for dinner, made some roasted (and then air fried) butternut squash cubes, corn on the cob, and more of the cabbage soup.  The kids are even eating the cabbage soup, which is nice.  My family often doesn't eat my veggie based dishes, and I've stopped fighting those battles:  eat it if you want, I say, but I'm probably not going to make separate stuff for you (although I usually do anyway).  

I'll definitely run today. 

• Like 2

Howdy folks im chillin in Texas. Talking about food Texas BBQ is damn good

The place im staying at is in the San Antonio hill country and ive been getting in some awesome runs. 

It's been HOT and humid tho so still acclimating.

The hotel also has a few Pelotons so ive been getting in some cycling as well.

Good times. Headed home in a few days almost have everyone straightened up

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AceWhite said:

Howdy folks im chillin in Texas. Talking about food Texas BBQ is damn good

Try the beef brisket.  You won't regret it.

Don't ask for pork brisket in Texas.  You might regret it.

• Like 3

As promised, I did get my workout in, yesterday. Because it was so much later in the day, than usual, I took it a little easier, emphasis on little. I didn’t want to risk having trouble sleeping, which can be an issue for me, on a good day. I did complete 2 full miles, at my normal speed, but with just a slight incline, which mimics outdoor walking. So, 3.5 mph with a 1% incline. I did have occasional bursts of running at 4 mph. I seem to be incapable of really taking it easy. I am such a driven person, when pursuing a goal. I know that can be a good personality trait, but it can also be a challenge. It’s hard for me to just take it easy, even when Common sense dictates that it’s the best course of action. I’m just pleased, that I didn’t skip my workout….

• Like 4

Tweaked my program a bit this week.  I wanted to work in the four fundamental lifts, at least four strongman lifts, and finish up each workout with a bit of conditioning work.  Here is what I came up with:

Monday and Thursday: Deadlifts, Bench Press, Sandbag Bearhug Carries, Sandbag Over-the-Shoulder Throws, Sled Pulls.  Finish up with fifteen minutes of steady-state rowing on the Concept2.

Tuesday and Friday: Squats, Overhead Press, Sandbag Get-Ups, Sled Push.  Finish up with four rounds of boxing on the heavy bag.

• Like 2

I am going to start working harder at actual running. I feel I’ve been a bit afraid to go all out. So today, I will tweak my workout, and see how it goes. Yesterday, I did my usual 2 miles at a significant incline and constant 3.5 mph speed, with several bursts of running at an increased speed. It took 39 minutes total, including my warm up.  John bought me a 65 inch TV, so I can see it easily from the treadmill, which is nearly 30 feet away. We have a large Great Room, where both are located. Wish me luck….😊

• Like 3

Well, I am two days in to a new routine. I speedwalk for 2 minutes, increase the speed by 1/2 mph, then jog for one minute, and repeat for 2 miles, all the while with a slight incline. It is much harder than what I was doing. Jogging motion is much more taxing than walking. I had to rest for a few moments twice, or at 10 minute intervals. The mind was willing, but the flesh a bit weak. Maybe I am expecting too much from this 70 year body. I will keep it up, and hopefully see some improvement in stamina.

• Like 4

OK, I will play for 36days till the end of Oct, then evaluate if I want to continue. I decided I'm far enough into my quit to handle watching my diet.  When I commit, I commit, so it will be daily.  And I'm going to add my diet and wt cause I had been gaining before I quit and am increasing quickly since my quit.
Exercising daily will be a breeze because I have not missed a single day in about 3.5yrs.  And I do not count anything productive as exercise (only for me, not someone else), but I do count sports I'm involved in.  I primarily due HIIH workouts (high intensity interval hiking)  which is just a name I made up because it sounds cool to tell people I get HIIH in the woods everyday.  Basically I hike from 1-3miles and do exercises at intervals.  Some freebody like pushups, situps, burpees, etc.  Some wt lifting using logs, rocks, and brake rotors (hid about 6 of these in the woods).  Some are MovNat type ground exercises or just climbing on things.

My only rule is exercise everyday, a little or lot, does not matter intensity, duration, or type.  If I'm throwing up sick, I still do one free body squat.  It does nothing for the body, but everything to keep the mind programmed.
So each day I'll let you know what I ate, what my exercise was, and what my wt was at start of day.
Goal is to drop from current 179 to 174 by Oct 31.  Thats about a pound a week which is reasonable.  My ideal wt (the wt I feel most energetic at is 168.  I know some people say you should not weigh daily cause it causes so much stress.  I disagree as long as you have the ability to just look at the trend and not get bent out of shape on daily fluctuations.

• Like 4

I think I’m just too damn old for what I’m doing. I repeated my workout of the last two days, and man, it was hard. I had to rest several times, but did finish. So, 2 full miles in 34 minutes, running 1/3 of the time, and speed walking 2/3, all up a slight incline. Sounds pretty easy, right? Well, I was huffing and puffing, and sweating my ass off. I will continue on, though. Why? Because I am THAT stubborn, that’s why. 

• Like 3