Daily exercise log for everyone :)

I'll be traveling next week for a few weeks. I remember hating airports and going through TSA multiple times so I could go outside and smoke. Hotels sucked also because smoking was difficult. How awesome is it that now i'm worried about finding a lap pool and what type of equipment they have in the fitness center

er.Celebrate Le Tour GIF by Le Tour de France

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Katgirl said:

First I’ve heard of this workout. Looks hard. 

Yes it is.  Lifting weights is one thing.  Lifting a weighted object while the weight is constantly shifting makes things that much more difficult.

The dissonant voices in my head agreed that the sandbag workout both "sucked" and was "awesome."

A little bit of masochism goes a long way.

• Like 3

My exercise has been pretty irregular lately:  some of that is a result of not feeling comfortable going to the gym because of COVID (and not wanting to wear a mask while exercising), but that's an easy excuse.  So I'm hoping to use this forum as a way to keep myself more accountable.  

I ran 3 miles after work yesterday and felt really good.  I was hoping to run a little 5K race this morning, but I hit snooze and slept in.  So I'll plan to run 3 or 4 miles later to make up for that.  

Weight training has basically ceased, unfortunately, because of the mask issue and because of some mid-50's orthopaedic problems.  In fact, I have to schedule a little surgery soon for my right shoulder--I had the same thing done (on the other shoulder) about ten years ago, and the post-op PT was horrible.  Hence, I'm dragging my feet on this one.  

Gotta make sure I go for that run later.  

C99

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 8:24 PM, AceWhite said:

I'll be traveling next week for a few weeks. I remember hating airports and going through TSA multiple times so I could go outside and smoke. Hotels sucked also because smoking was difficult. How awesome is it that now i'm worried about finding a lap pool and what type of equipment they have in the fitness center

er.Celebrate Le Tour GIF by Le Tour de France

Having recently just traveled cross country, I must warn you that some of the fitness centers, in hotels, were closed, do to Covid-19. I expect that even more may be, now, because of the Delta variant. However, you can always run, outside….

Edited by Katgirl

I work out every single day, without any days off. I do that, so that I won’t slack off. I know that the American Society of ( insert authoritative government initials here) recommends exercising at least 3 times per week, and that most people do rest a few days. I’m wondering if that is why some days seem more difficult than others. Some days, I am certain I can’t maintain 35 minutes, without a break, at 3.5 mph with a 2.5 to 3% incline, but I usually power through, without stopping for a break. So, every single day I power walk almost 2 miles up hill. That’s pretty impressive for an old lady, methinks! 😂😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Katgirl said:

I work out every single day, without any days off. I do that, so that I won’t slack off. I know that the American Society of ( insert authoritative government initials here) recommends exercising at least 3 times per week, and that most people do rest a few days. I’m wondering if that is why some days seem more difficult than others. Some days, I am certain I can’t maintain 35 minutes, without a break, at 3.5 mph with a 2.5 to 3% incline, but I usually power through, without stopping for a break. So, every single day I power walk almost 2 miles up hill. That’s pretty impressive for an old lady, methinks! 😂😂

Rest days don't have to be a day of nothing, just something different nd lower intensity. Go for a long walk or easy bike ride maybe? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AceWhite said:

Rest days don't have to be a day of nothing, just something different nd lower intensity. Go for a long walk or easy bike ride maybe? 

That’s a thought. I do have a nice hybrid bike. Today, I walked over 2 miles up a steady incline. My legs feel a bit heavy, as if I pushed a bit too hard. I sometimes forget that I’m 70, and have cardiac issues. I have been medically cleared to work out, though my cardiologist hasn’t a clue about how stubborn and driven I can be. The good news is that I’m a trained medical professional, myself, and would recognize any warning signs that I’m overdoing it. 😊

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 2

Pleased that I did go for that run yesterday:  did 3 1/2 miles at the county park, and it was great to see so many people enjoying the day.  Our area has a fair number of refugees (and lots seem to use the park), which contributes to the beautiful diversity there.  

I'll run another 3-4 miles today and then probably take tomorrow off.  Mondays tend to be super busy for me at work...though one could argue that's precisely why I should run tomorrow (to relieve stress after work).  

First things first, I'll run today.  Ideally, I'd like to get my daily runs back to 5 miles.    

• Like 2

Absolutely brutal Xterra triathlon this morning- good news is I didn't die. 

Pretty decent swell currently so the swim was interesting. Usually my best discipline but I struggled this morning. After the swim it's about a 1/4 mile run to transition to grab the bike. I had ridden the bike course a few weeks ago so I knew what to expect. Overall the bike went well. Run course was 4 miles, that included a mile long climb up a steep fire road, and an equally steep descend for about 1/2 mile. The last mile was nice slight downhill through a small canyon,. I had a great run despite all my worries I wasn't ready. Overall I finished 5th in my age group which surprised me that I did so well, or the others in my age group did crappy ;)

Finish time was 3:13 

Time for a beer and a nap

• Like 7

I ran 3 miles yesterday along the canal--I felt really comfortable and am actually a little disappointed in myself that I didn't run more.  It's an up and back route, and I turned around exactly at 1.5 mile--I think I should have run to the 2 mile marker.  But that's three running days in a row, so that's good.  Then had a nice dinner of spaghetti and Impossible meatballs and sauce.

I'm going to commit to some sort of cardio activity tonight, even if it's just a long walk with the dog.   

• Like 6

I power walked 2 full miles again, at a 3.5 mph pace, up a moderate incline, the whole way. My heart rate hit its optimal target range, for my age. It took me just over 34 minutes. I know I’m working hard, because sweat is literally dripping off my face, by the time I finish. I burn 250 calories during this workout. I made it more bearable, by watching an NFL game simultaneously. I love football. My east coast team, The Eagles, and my west coast team, The Forty-Niners, both won. So, great exercise for all of us! 😊

• Like 5

On 9/11/2021 at 1:00 PM, Katgirl said:

I work out every single day, without any days off. I do that, so that I won’t slack off. I know that the American Society of ( insert authoritative government initials here) recommends exercising at least 3 times per week, and that most people do rest a few days. I’m wondering if that is why some days seem more difficult than others. 

If I squat heavy in the morning and take the rest of the day off, my legs feel dead the next morning.

If I squat heavy in the morning and take a long walk later in the day, my legs feel good as new the next morning.

I'm a big believer in active recovery and doing lighter days as opposed to "off" days.

On 9/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, AceWhite said:

Overall I finished 5th in my age group which surprised me that I did so well, or the others in my age group did crappy ;)

Finish time was 3:13 

Good job Ace.

image.png.c878654b5557b8824c558a2fb0093fc5.png

• Like 4

Well, I surprised myself by going for a run after work.  It was getting dark, but still safe and pleasant (if a little buggy).  Did three miles along the canal (just like the day before).  Embarrassingly, I can't remember the last time I ran four days in a row, so it looks like I'm developing some new momentum--and this forum is helping, I think.  

Dinner was so-so:  I decided to make spicy, stir-fried green beans (picked up some at the farmers mkt over the weekend), and added some fresh bell peppers and spinach.  Sounds promising, but the execution wasn't awesome.  I rarely cook with recipes, which leads to interesting results both bad and good.  Ate half and threw out the rest; then had some leftover impossible meatballs and sauce.  

I'll commit to some cardio again today, in whatever form that takes.  I usually can get out a little early on Tuesdays.  

• Like 2

Yesterday’s workout was difficult. I did increase the incline a half step, and I was laboring. I did complete a full half hour, but just. Normally, I go an extra 3 or 4 minutes. My heart rate was in the 140’s when I finished, which is at my max target range. My legs were a bit sore in the evening, but some stretching exercises helped with that. All in all, I am proud of myself, for my commitment to my program. And just in case I’m tempted to slack off, if it gets near my normal exercise time, and I’m relaxing on the sofa, my boyfriend points at the treadmill and simply says, “Hey!” 😊

• Like 2

@AceWhite, Congratulations.  You're fitter and stronger than you let on to place 5th.  That's a strong finish.

@Christian99, I was always told to increase weekly mileage in small increments - no more than 10%.  I have paid for ambition by getting injured and having to stop running for weeks and in one case over a year.  So now I do stretches and also don't push as hard - just happy to get the miles in without injury.

I had a couple of really lethargic days - didn't do anything Mon night and went to the stores to buy some un-needed stuff.

Tue night was lethargic again but forced myself to the stairs and somehow completed the 9 rounds - it was hard.  On the way back, eyes were closing while driving - there was this whole lethargy and overwhelming tiredness.  

• Like 3

I took a leisurely short run at the canal last night--only two miles, but my feet and hips were a little bit sore from the successive days of running, so I decided to make it a short one.  It was also super humid; thankfully, that's supposed to break today.

For dinner, I had a nice bowl of beans that I had put in the crockpot in the morning, a big salad, and watermelon.  I've started to make beans like that pretty regularly--they're so easy and produce a much better textured bean than from a can (though I also like canned baked beans).  

I'll commit to some cardio today, in whatever form.  There's a running group that gathers on Wednesdays, and maybe I'll join them--I'll admit, though, that many of them are younger and faster, so it's not ideal.  We'll see.  

• Like 2

Workout was a bit easier last evening. I kept the incline and speed steady, at 2% and 3.5 mph respectively.

I am huffing and puffing, and sweating profusely, by the time I finish. I’m hoping this is good for me, as I don’t seem to be dropping much weight. I know it must be good for my heart, at the very least.

I think I need to concentrate more on my nutrition. I take a fistful of vitamin supplements, each morning, but must be eating wrong. I never overeat, but must be choosing the wrong foods. I’m definitely a meat and potatoes gal, but try not to overdo carbs. I need to try harder, I guess. I have almost come to the conclusion that it’s impossible to lose weight after a certain age. Logic, however, does not support this supposition. I’ll figure something out. I do know that I’m probably not drinking enough water, so shall start by increasing my H2O intake. In the meantime, I will give it some more thought.

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 3

Thank you rain?  It was raining yesterday after work, so I didn't run.  I certainly could have (and, living in a pretty snowy area in winter, I've learned to run in inclement weather), but I decided to take the day off.  Five days in a row seemed like enough.

Perhaps not coincidentally (as exercise generally suppresses my appetite a little bit, which seems counterintuitive), my eating wasn't great either.  Dinner was fine:  had a (vegan) sausage and stuffing casserole with a baked potato and homemade gravy, plus a nice salad.  But then later I had a couple (non vegan) chocolate treats with a big dollup of peanut butter and an italian ice.  The italian ice is fine, but the saturated fat (and the dairy) in chocolate isn't really part of my program.   

That's OK.  I don't like or use the term "cheat day," but the day certainly could have been worse.  Today, I will run:  maybe I'll switch it up and run through the neighborhood.  It's not my preferred route because it's hilly, but the change will do me good.    

• Like 1

I gave myself a bit of a break last evening, and discovered something, in the process. My intention was to take a more leisurely stroll, as I had some mild discomfort in my right upper thigh, after the previous day’s workout. So I started with a minimal incline and lower speed. However, my type A personality could not abide that, so I increased both the incline a half step, and the speed to my normal 3.5mph. So, the incline was a full step below my usual setting. It was easier to go the distance, without feeling breathless. I was still working pretty hard, and my calorie burn was not significantly lower, at the lesser incline. Interesting. So, now I’m wondering,  if I’m normally working harder than need be, to accomplish the same goal. Something more to think about…. Taking it a bit easier did help my leg. No further discomfort. At my age, I need to be mindful of potential injuries. I ain’t no spring chicken, no more….😂

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 1