Daily exercise log for everyone :)

Well, no triathlon in my future, but I did get two 20 lap/ 25 minute each power walks in yesterday. It can get really hot here, in Summer, so I ordered a NordicTrack treadmill. It will be here Thursday. I also am going to go to Dick’s and get a set of dumbells. I may as well look good, as I lose weight, not that I look bad. But how cool would it be to be an old lady with a fabulous body? 😂

• Like 4

Just returned from Dick’s Sporting Goods, where I picked up, (not literally) a new treadmill. Amazon did not have the model I ultimately chose, and I saved $300.00, by letting them put it in the back of my SUV.  Nordictrack charges $200.00 for delivery and Dick’s had it on sale. I paid an extra $80.00 to have a pro come out to assemble it. That will be next Wed., but I can wait.  I did a lot of research on treadmills, before deciding on this midrange model.  It comes with a free year of the Ifit program, which will give me access to personal online training programs. So, I did something good for myself and my health. 😀

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 4

Training- my new addiction much better than sitting around smoking. Adventures on my bike and trail running keep it interesting and fun. The initial first few weeks were tough but now that I’ve gained fitness back the process is enjoyable!!

Happy Friday!!

• Like 4

Still walking ... we are in our third heat wave here . Unusual here to have these kinds of heat warnings .  Stopped at a gym the other day ... not for me yet .. maybe in the winter . I used to be a self motivator now I think I would be motivated by other people's company , but because all our covid restrictions will be lifted I don't think the gym will be my go this winter seeing I have the same machines I can use right at home . U tube also has some really amazing people who want to inspire and they inspire me . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AceWhite said:

Training- my new addiction much better than sitting around smoking. Adventures on my bike and trail running keep it interesting and fun. The initial first few weeks were tough but now that I’ve gained fitness back the process is enjoyable!!

Happy Friday!!

Ace, I think I am becoming addicted, too. But since it’s a healthy addiction, I don’t mind. I am currently power walking for at least 30 minutes each day, or about 1  3/4 miles. I have a Schwann stationary bike, and my Nordic Track treadmill will be assembled on Monday. I also got a small set of dumbells. I think the treadmill will be a game changer, especially since it comes with the Ifit program. I can take virtual walks, or runs, all over the world. That should be fun….😊

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 3

Just did 25 laps in the climbing heat. 30 minutes of moderate cardio today. I know when not to push too hard. I AM an old broad, after all….😂😂 
Looking forward to having my treadmill assembled on Monday. I even got new running shoes, so I won’t soil it with my street shoes. My boyfriend thought that was bonkers. 😂I am looking forward to using the IFit software, that is part of the deal. There is a vast library of recorded workouts with trainers, and even live classes I can join. Membership is free for a full year, so that’s a nice perk. The unit has a nice fan, and is Bluetooth enabled, so I can synchronize my iTunes library. The unit has its own built in 7 inch touch screen, or I can use my iPad. The 3.0 HP commercial grade motor should be more than strong enough for my intended use. Max speed is 12 mi/hr., and max incline is 12 %, both pretty standard, throughout the industry. No decline, but I didn’t think I’d use it, if it had it. The deck has some flex to it, to relieve stress on joints. I can turn off the flex cushioning, to simulate street running, should I so choose. I think I found the right machine for me. I paid $1,000.00 for it, on sale, and an extra $80.00, for assembly. Well worth the price, for its specs. I am excited. I will let you know how my first indoor workout goes, on Monday evening. 😀

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2014 at 12:42 AM, Evelyn said:

Going to do groceries

I have mine delivered , since Covid.

I did over 30 minutes of power walking this morning, while the temp wasn’t too bad. My heart rate didn’t get up as high as usual, though I was walking  as fast as I normally do. It could be that I took my beta blocker about an hour prior. In any case, my target heart rate is between 90 and 120, and I did maintain my heart rate within that range for 30 minutes, so I guess I’m good. I certainly worked up a good sweat. I am excited to get my treadmill set up tomorrow afternoon. The incline function should make getting my heart rate up easier.😊

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 4

It's good to use the built in programs or adjust the settings manually to change it up during a workout.  Otherwise the repetitive nature of the motion can cause certain issues.  I'd recommend mixing it up with regular outdoor sessions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, d2e8b8 said:

It's good to use the built in programs or adjust the settings manually to change it up during a workout.  Otherwise the repetitive nature of the motion can cause certain issues.  I'd recommend mixing it up with regular outdoor sessions.

I already thought of that. However, the treadmill comes with a free year of Ifit, which will give me access to numerous programs, led by personal trainers, where the program controls both speed and incline,on my machine, as I  walk or hike  various virtual trails,  throughout the world. Can’t wait to try that. I agree, though, that, sometimes I should go outside. Currently, I have a 100 yard course mapped out on my very long driveway. I power walk it for 30 minutes twice a day.

• Like 2

So, my treadmill will be assembled in a few hours, and I am on bed rest for 2 days. I can hardly believe that I have another flare up of Diverticulitis. I was treated for it less than a month ago, and truth be told, I accidentally skipped a few dose of my antibiotics, and didn’t quite finish the bottle. I should know better. I am a Professional Nurse, for goodness sake. What a maroon. I was up most of the night with severe lower abdominal pain. I finally caved and took a Norco. I feel a bit better today after a second dose, and a trip to Urgent care for antibiotics. I think I will take them all this time. 😬

Yay! I just finished my first treadmill workout on my new NordicTrack! Since I have a free year of Ifit, I followed virtual trainers on the first of an 18 part series called “Everest: A trek to base camp.” The preprogrammed workouts somehow remotely control the speed and incline of my treadmill. It was a fairly intense 30 minute workout. The incline makes a big difference from my outside walks. I am pleased with the quality of the NordicTrack. My one gripe is the 7 inch screen. I wish it were bigger, but it has crisp graphics, and works well. I bought what I could afford. Next one up was $500.00 more, or a 50% bump. Besides the 10 inch screen, it had an extra .5 hp and had decline, as well as incline. For my purposes, I chose smartly. I can always stream the workouts on my iPad, if I choose, but I’d rather get used to viewing them on the built in tablet.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, d2e8b8 said:

Awesome @Katgirl.  I know you were looking forward to it.  Don't you have to train first 'before' climbing Mt. Everest :) 

We are just hiking to base camp, which is a 17,000 feet total elevation, over 18 workouts. The hikes are rated as beginner/ intermediate. I am in decent cardiovascular shape, after my Power walking, so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t more difficult than it was. Having said that, I did work up a sweat. I was also pleasantly surprised  at the near “Professional Gym quality” of the NordicTrack, considering  it’s cost, at $1,000.00. 

• Like 3

@Doreensfree, I probably should have waited a few more days, since my gut is still inflamed, and rather tender, but I was excited to begin using my new treadmill. The program I am doing is a walking program, but fairly intense. I am a trained Professional Nurse, so should recognize if I am harming myself. I am a gifted diagnostician. So, not to worry………………..TOO much! 😂😉 I do thank you for your concern. Very sweet.❤️ Just finished part 2 of the Everest series. If anyone else is thinking of getting a new treadmill, I can’t recommend a NordicTrack highly enough. The Ifit program is a game changer, and included free for a full year. The one knock on NordicTrack seems to be its customer service, should something go wrong with your machine. Fingers crossed, mine works flawlessly, for years.

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 1

Today was Day 9 on my treadmill. I gave up the “Everest Hike to Base Camp” series, when the Day 3 workout suddenly became insanely difficult, for this old gal. So, I put my treadmill in manual mode, and have been setting my own speed and incline levels, since. I generally walk at 3.2 mi/hr. with a 2.5 % incline for at least 30 minutes. Sweat starts dripping down my face after about 10 minutes, so it’s a good workout. I walk a distance of approx 1.9 miles. So far, I haven’t missed a day. I am discouraged that I haven’t lost any weight doing this, so am thinking of doing 2 sessions a day. I don’t want to get burned out, though, so still mulling that idea over. We shall see. If nothing else, I am doing my heart and mind a favor.

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 2